“Couldn't even bring myself to look at the room before moving on”
Review of Cornish Arms

Cornish Arms
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St Blazey
Cornish Arms
Ranked #2 of 2 St Blazey B&B and Inns
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Couldn't even bring myself to look at the room before moving on”
Reviewed 19 September 2010

We arrived at the hotel/pub, frontage looked resonable as on the website, however once parked, the outside view of the rooms was shabby at best,. We ventured towards the bar, looking in a window to see a disgusting filthy kitchen area. We entered the pub to find pride of place a pool table (which the only staff there were busy playing a game, unless outside the front door smoking). The so called family freindly restaurant looked as if it hadn't seen a clean cloth for many a day, with ketchup running down the sides of the sauce bottles.

I felt completly vulnerable and out of place and after a matter of a few minutes whilst having a drink( glass none too clean) we left without mentioning that a room had been booked because to stay was absolutely out of the question. Having asked the locals in St Austell once settled there, we realised that we had had a lucky escape as they were surprised to hear that the rooms at the Cornish ARms were booked out for longer than an hour at a time.

It has however turned out to be a very expensive escape, we offered to pay for one night plus deposit as the canleation was late, but the landlord once we advised we could not stay insisted very aggresivley on taking the full amount (4 nights) from our credit card account before we could do anything about it, stating to us that he was a busniess man and could have let the room 10 times. (Perhaps this was the hourly rate he was referring to).

We would not advised anyone to book accomodation in this pub!!!

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank disgusted001

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2010

I booked 2 nights stay, on arrival i was greated well, the rooms were located next to the pub area. the passage to the rooms absolutely stunk of poo,my room was very cold as there was draft coming from the window sill. there waslittle bits that looked like mouse droppings scattered near the tea pot. i had to put a towel on the window sill all night to stop the draft coming in, as the window was right above my head. Breakfast time there was no one to be seen in the bar area apart from 2 dogs jumping on my lap, oh 10 minutes later someone appeared and made the most discusting breakfast i have ever ate, after a few bites i left the breakfast for thedogs ais i think they were hungry, as ere jumping on my lap so they could have a sniff on the crdboard toast.
I would NOT recommend thai hotel to my worst enemy!!!

Stayed October 2009, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these St Blazey hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2010

We had planned to stay 2 nights at this hotel, my parents, husband, 2 small children and myself. On arriving, the room booked for my parents turned out to be a double room with shared bathroom (not the twin en suite I'd booked) our room was the room with disabled access (not a problem, except for the smell of a vets surgery, which the owners had tried to mask with a vanilla air freshner). After asking for my parents to be moved to the en suite I had booked, we proceeded to spend an afternoon at a nearby beach. On our return to the hotel, the smell from our room met us before we even opened the door. As my daughter and I are asthmatic we asked the owner to move our rooms. We were told in no uncertain terms that they were full and if we were that unhappy we could have our money back (less deposit of course) and go somewhere else. As this was at 9.30pm it left us with very little option and no help whatsoever from the owner. We did find a beautiful hotel about 15 mins away that was cheaper and took us in for the 2 nights so something good came out of this disaster.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Wmemma
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Just back from two nights in what I can only describe as the dirtiest dive I've ever stayed in. The stench in the room, whiff from 'ensuite' when you opened the door and the musty smell in the hallways outside rooms were akin to a doss house. The pub itself was no better, manky bar, sticky table tops, never cleaned properly and the clientelle (the few who dare to drink there) - foul mouthed and loud, and this at 6 p.m. in evening within earshot of my two children. (The dining area doubles up as pool table room and bar) As we had booked through a website, we paid upfront, £80 per night, otherwise we'd have run a mile, but being unfamiliar with the area and wanting to be near Eden Project we got web link to this hell hole. How we regret not seeking out reviews before we went. The cobwebs and dust were everywhere but the moment of truth came when I moved the bed to plug in phone charger and the sight underneath nearly made me throw up - so much so that I felt sick at the thought of having to spend any time there at all and stayed in Eden project until we were chucked out at closing time, and did not sleep at all over the two nights. I won't even go into the broken furniture, loose toilet roll and towel holders and stained carpets etc, the cook (I wouldn't use the term chef) who spends most of his day in smoking tent in yard....Yes the sheets were clean and towels laundered but clean linen alone does not a good hotel make. The laundry bags were scattered all over entrance hall for the entire stay (awaiting collection I presume) along with discarded cash register on the floor. I have never, ever written a review before but my stomach is still feeling sick and I'm back home in my own clean environment so I can only advise anyone who has any basic standards of hygiene or cleanliness - ignore the positive reviews of those who don't mind staying in filth and don't put yourself through the same experience as we have just had!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank missmaynooth
Redditch
Reviewed 19 August 2010

Accomodation -
We booked a Double room but were given a Twin. When we complained we were advised that its first come first served for the double rooms. So it seems there is NO gaurantees that you get what you ask for.
The room was dirty and smelly, cobwebs hung from the ceiling and there was mould in the shower which was tiny anyway.
Breakfast -
Well what an ordeal.
The first morning there were no glasses to drink the orange juice from, so I had to make do with a mug. The cooked breakfast took half an hour after ordering to be served up(there were only 5 couples eating and two of those orders were served wrong)
Toast was out of the question.
The second morning there were glasses for your juice, but no spoons to eat your cereal with.
We sat for over half an hour waiting for someone to take our cooked breakfast order, but one person would arrive with food for others and then disappear without speaking to anybody else. Several other couples waited in disbelief.
Still no toast.
We were so fed up waiting to be served breakfast that we left and had breakfast in Polperro. (a much nicer experience)
The service was diabolical.
I would Not recommend anybody staying here.

You could make a comedy TV show based on this place. No wait a minute that has allready been done.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Redditchman
england
Reviewed 17 August 2010

the pub looks nice from the outside but it needs updating and a bit of air freshner and good clean wouldn't go a miss.

the staff were all really friendly and happy to help but the basics are so not right with this pub and the locals who drink in it really dont help the situation, if you just looking for a place to lay your head and nothing more then yep book it as its the cheapest you will find in the area but if you want an enjoyable relaxing break spend the extra

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
malvern
Reviewed 4 June 2010

i have just returned from the cornish arms,i am in my late 60s im so glad i did not take notice of the reviews on the travel advisor as they all seemed to had these awful experiences at the same time which sounds a bit suspect or they stayed in a different cornish arms. my daughter and myself were greeted by the landlord ,someone then took our cases to our room, the bedding,towels was freshly laundered and white,we were asked if we needed anything the next morning towels etc , what we needed was replaced,breakfast was full english, or whatever you wanted in what ever combination you required.they did have a dog but i didnt ever see the dog in the pub i only ever saw it outside with a deflated football ,waiting for someone to throw for him.great ,place great people and little woofie we will be going back so thanks for a great stay

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family

Been to Cornish Arms? Share your experiences!