“Wonderful B&B”
Review of Redgate Smithy B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St Cleer
Redgate Smithy B&B
Ranked #1 of 1 St Cleer B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Having just returned from a 3 night stay at The Redgate Smithy, I can't praise my accommodation & hosts highly enough. Upon arrival Sasha (my little dog) & myself received a very friendly welcome & were shown to the conservatory for a much needed pot of tea & chocolate tiffin. Our room was homely & spotlessly clean with an en suite bathroom. A lot of thought had been put into the finishing touches (local information, books etc) which were greatly appreciated. After a sound sleep I had the very difficult decision as to which breakfast to choose. Day 1 = Full Cornish...Delicious
Days 2 & 3 = Smoked Salmon & Scrambled Eggs...To die for.
Both Julie & Clive were very attentive not only to myself but also to Sasha which I found very comforting as they clearly adore dogs.
Should I ever be travelling down to Cornwall again this is most definitely the place I shall be staying.
Thank you both for a very comfortable & relaxing visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We were so lucky to find this gem of an overnight stay - recommended by the B & B down the road who were full!! Lovely welcome with pot of tea/coffee and chocolate cake. Very pleasant and friendly hosts, Clive and Julie. Wonderful position near to the best walks on Bodmin Moor, very tasty breakfast in a beautiful conservatory watching the birds enjoying their morning meal. Our room was airy, comfortable and relaxing. In fact everything was so beautifully presented - including the family dog, who was very pleased to come and play when invited to do so, yet was so quiet and hidden away that we did not even know she existed until we read the request to keep the garden gate closed in case she might be exploring outside.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CornwallDancer11
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Based on the great reviews and the information available for Redgate Smithy B&B I contacted them to enquire about booking a short break during May 2014 half term. I received a very friendly email confirming that they had a suitable room available during the week I wanted and that my dog would be welcome - they also asked what sort of dog she was (which seemed like a really nice friendly thing to do) so I, of course, answered the question....... I was quite excited about the prospect of booking the first short break in a very long time and was rather perplexed to then receive another email refusing me accommodation - Why? Because they do not allow Rottweiler or any cross thereof to stay - despite stating on their website that ANY friendly dog is welcome!!

I am a responsible, considerate and experienced owner of larger breed dogs and was quite embarrassed and rather upset that a supposedly "dog friendly" B&B with such wonderful reviews should refuse me accommodation based purely on what they conceive my dog to be.

Perhaps it would be kinder to just update your website to clearly state the breed restriction and save any other Rottie or Rottie X owners the embarrassment/disappointment of being refused accommodation.

Very disappointing

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Joanne M
Clivenjulie, Owner at Redgate Smithy B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Dear Joanne D,
We are astonished to read a review from you about Redgate Smithy, as you have clearly not actually stayed here (you enquired only), and according to Trip Advisor themselves, this does not meet the requirements of a First Hand Traveller Review. Your statement that you "Stayed April 2014, travelled with family" is blatantly untrue.
We have already apologised to you that sadly we could not accept your booking, and we are very sorry if you are offended by our not being able to accommodate you on this occasion.
That aside, we clearly state on our website “Any friendly dog welcome (up to 2 small/medium size dogs at our discretion)”.
Unfortunately, we do not accept Rottweiler or Staffie breeds or crosses (or similar dogs), to stay here as we have to consider not only our other guests concerns, but we also have a dog of our own whose safety we consider very highly, and we are not ourselves comfortable with having such breeds in our own home.
We also accept that some such dogs are indeed very friendly, as we are sure that yours will be, but I am afraid that we are unable to accommodate them.
Kindest regards, Clive and Julie, Redgate Smithy.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

We have recently returned from our 6th visit to this superb B&B. Unfortunately so many people must have read our rave reviews and booked a stay that this time we couldn't have "our bedroom". The Garden Room is a delight with its beautiful patchwork quilt and lovely views into Sue and Clive's woodland garden. We like having our bathroom across the landing...it feels more like home!
This time we stayed in the twin room. The beds were exceptionally comfortable and there was plenty of hanging space and drawers. It was good to have the en suite too on this occasion with its luxurious power shower..
Julie and Clive are the best hosts anyone could wish for - kind, thoughful and friendly. Brydy the dog is a delight. We were fortunate this time that another dog was holidaying at the same time so we saw much more of Brydy after breakfast as she played with her visitor. Julie and Clive are very firm about her not troubling guests unencumbered with their canine friends :-)
As usual the breakfasts were superb. I departed from my usual choice of Redgate Eggs Royale (smoked salmon enfolded in a luxurious plate of eggs scrambled with clotted cream and dressed with capers and basil) and tried the sausages....heavenly...no other word for it! The only problem was their size but it turned out not to be a problem as Julie put the second one in a doggy bag for later! I think it was even better cold! It's difficult to choose from the breakfast menu as there arre so many delicious offerings.
Next day Clive gave us an extra choice...his special Eggs Benedict. Perfectly cooked hollandaise sauce and delicious properly poached eggs with tasty local bacon...ah the memory!
We especially appreciate staying at Redgate Smithy because of their environmental friendliness. We like people like us! How we'll manage till next year without another visit I'm not sure :-)

Room Tip: Sorry, i clicked on swimming pool rating by accident and couldn't remove it! All the rooms are...
2  Thank Margaret A
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Julie and Clive were absolutely fantastic hosts. My partner and I were only staying for one night as we had a wedding to attend but even in that short time we were made to feel very much at home. We were greeted warmly with coffee and cake which was a lovely touch.
The room was very well equipped and we also had an ensuite which was useful what with us getting back from the wedding fairly late.
It was lovely to chat with both of them in the morning whilst they provided a delicious breakfast. My partner had the full breakfast and said it was one of the best he'd had. I had the scrambled eggs on toast which was delicious so make sure you get down for breakfast in the morning!

I would definitely recommend Redgate Smithy for anyone staying in the area. It seems a good base to travel in and around Cornwall as well as a homely B&B to relax in. Thank you very much Julie and Clive!

Reviewed 17 October 2013

We only stayed for one night, we had come to Cornwall, with our dog, to watch the triathlon at Sibleyback Lake. The room was very comforable and we were made very welcome, with tea and cake, treats for the dog, and advice on the best places to eat and walk.

The event began at 7.30 am and we had to be there by 7,so we were quite prepared to forego the reputed breakfast. But no! Julie and Clive insisted that it was no problem, so we were treated to the delights at 6.30 am.
Highly recommended.

1  Thank devonvisitor0
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

We have been regular visitors here for the last 9 years during which time Clive & Julie have consistently impressed us with the very best cosy cottage atmosphere in addition to the best b&b breakfast in the whole of cornwall! Loads of choice from varied menu all cooked to order. They are the most friendly hosts you could wish to meet (without being intrusive), and offer a wealth of knowledge about the local area, beauty spots, interesting walks and local pubs & restaurants. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a quiet countryside retreat away from the hustle and bustle of the city!!!

• Stayed: September 2013

Been to Redgate Smithy B&B? Share your experiences!