“You'll feel like you're at home” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hellarcher Farm B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in The Lizard
Hellarcher Farm B&B
Ranked #7 of 12 The Lizard B&B and Inns
Oxford, United Kingdom
“You'll feel like you're at home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

This is a farmhouse B and B and not a hotel. The house is old and has the characteristics to suite. We found Jenny, who runs the B and B absolutely lovely. On arrival she provided a tray of tea and homemade scones for us in the sitting room. She gave us advice and assistance regarding places to eat, and walking the coast path, whenever asked. The room was pretty basic but clean and spacious and had tea/coffee facilities and a telly. The bath was deep with plenty of hot water. She made fantastic packed lunches for us with home made bread and cakes, and the breakfast was varied, freshly cooked and with good ingredients including her own eggs from chickens and ducks! I was walking for charity and she gave assistance to my sister, who was supporting me along the way, by giving her a lift to meet me. She was not only accomodating but generous and kind, when there was no benefit to her to be so. We had a lovely time at farm, thanks in no small part to Jenny.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jo P

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Loveland, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

I stayed here while walking part of the Southwest Coastal Path. The B and B is in a good location. Close to the center of town. Owner was quite nice and accommodating. I had to leave very early the next morning--and she was willing to make my breakfast early. My room (and the bathroom) was acceptable but was dated and smelled "musty". No TV in room, but there is one in the common room. Lots of old, but interesting books in the common room. Acceptable place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank IMDigger
Warwickshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

We had just completed the first leg of a week's coastal path walking holiday starting at Porthleven and this was the first night in the Lizard. The farmhouse is easy to find and is close to shops and pubs in the village centre. A most welcome gesture upon arrival in late afternoon after a day's walking was to have tea, scones and cake served by Jenny. We were then allocated two bedrooms with the sole use of a separate bathroom. The furniture in the rooms is what you would expect to find in an old farm house - functional but not modern. If you expect matching items and colour cordinated curtains and fabrics, this place may not be for you. My mattress lacked firmness as well although that may be down to my personal preference. Jenny recommended the local fish and chip shop around the corner for a quick evening meal and also let us eat them in the dining room of her home and even warmed the plates - she really does look after her guests. The breakfast in the morning was very good with a mixture of fresh fruit, cereals and cooked items including free range eggs (two) covering a generous portion of bacon. Without asking, Jenny provided us with a packed lunch and this was a real treat when eaten on a beach later in the day. From a walker's perspective, Hellarcher Farm is an ideal place to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Castle164
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

The owner of this B&B is anti vegetarian (and vegan, I suppose). She just didn't get it that I didn't want fish or eggs for breakfast, but equally I didn't want the Continental breakfast on offer either - I don't like fruit, cheese, cereal or yogurt for breakfast but that wasn't ok with the owner. She literally stormed out of the dining room, slamming the door, clearly cross with me for only wanting a vegetarian cooked breakfast and it was pretty obvious I was being talked about in the kitchen as the voices of her kitchen helpers suddenly lowered. A terrible host. The property wasn't particularly clean, either, but I could have put up with that if the owner hadn't been so rude. I left immediately after the aborted breakfast fiasco, packed and checked out without bothering to say goodbye, and didn't ask for a refund on the second night that I had paid for. I just wanted to leave. I went and had a superb cooked vegetarian breakfast at Roskilly's where I was made to feel very welcome, as usual.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank PixieTigerLily
Middlesbrough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I have a special affection for the Lizard peninsular, so visit there quite often. For some time, on each of my visits, I have stayed at Hellarcher Farm. From the very first Jenny has made me feel a welcome guest. There is always a warm greeting with a cup of tea and a scone on arrival and subsequently plenty of valuable advice should I need it.
Jenny is for ever helpful: a flat battery on my car was resolved when she summoned a contact to give me a tow. The alternative, involving a breakdown truck, would have been expensive!
I cannot speak too highly of the breakfasts; for such a meal in an upmarket restaurant/hotel one would pay a sum nearly equal to half the cost of one night's B&B at Hellarcher Farm.
When I leave there is always a snack for the long journey home.
I look forward to my next visit to The LIzard and Hellarcher Farm.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank BillyBoy414
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

We were able to check in whenever was most convenient for us and tea and cakes were brought up to our room on arrival. We were made to feel very welcome. The breakfast was amazing and really set us up for the day. I would recommend Hellarcher farm to anyone looking for a homely, friendly stay with a personel touch. I happened to mention prior to arrival that it would be my partners birthday, only to be surprised with a lovely homemade birthday cake complete with candles. We felt that Jen our host really went above and beyond to make our stay special. Our dog was also made to feel very welcome!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helen C
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

This place feels like home. Jenny is an excellent host, with a lovely pot of tea and homemade scones on arrival. Breakfast is amazing. I would definitely recommend this B&B.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Housel Bay Hotel & Restaurant
YHA Lizard Point
YHA Lizard Point
#3 of 7 in The Lizard

Been to Hellarcher Farm B&B? Share your experiences!