“Beautiful Fresh Dressed Crab”
Review of The Top House

and 1 more site!
The Top House
Ranked #5 of 12 The Lizard B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Didn't stay here as we were over in Helston but had the best meal of the week here. Fresh Dressed Cornish crab and it was perfect. All washed down with a pint of Korven, the local larger this area of the UK is one to be proud of as a Brit... I'd encourage anyone to come and visit!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 April 2012

What a wonderful place to stay! The room was bright and clean and the staff were friendly and extremely helpful. The food also was excellent.

Can't praise this place highly enough, accommodation, pub and restaurant were all first class.

Looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I booked 3 rooms at this hotel over Easter for family. The welcome we recieved was fantastic. The staff were very friendly and gave all information we needed. I was travelling with a very young baby and on arrival reception told me they had got their travel cot out just in case I needed it. They also put is all on a table in the dining area with plenty of room for the pushchair so as not to disturb the baby if she was sleeping.
The rooms were very clean and decorated to a very high standard. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 October 2011

I stayed at this pub as part of a ten day charity walk around the south west coast path. Good things about it were that the pub is lively and offers good cask ales. The atmosphere from the locals seemed friendly and warm. The breakfast was fine. The room was very comfortable and plushly furnished.
On the down side I found the reception a little cold and stand-offish. Everywhere else I went over the ten day walk people would ask a question about 'where have you walked today?' or 'where are you going?'. But in this pub no-one asked and I sensed that no one really cared. In fact, I wasn't asked anything - 'is everything OK?' or 'How are you?". The absence of those basic courtesies does create a negative impact. Perhaps it was the end of the year and they are a bit jaded by all of us walkers. At the end of the evening I asked if it was OK to take my pint to my room and watch TV. "As long as you don't throw it around the place" was the half jokey reply. Not the most welcoming of replies. In fact over my ten days at different establishments this was one of two places where I did not experience a welcoming attitude. Disappointing.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank KevinJSimpson
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Arrived at my previous booked guest house,found it was dreadful and left in search of somewhere else to stay, checked the Hotels around Lizard and they are away overpriced..i found the Top House and was fortunate to get the last room..Excellent, great large bed and great views also bathroom with a powerful shower. Its better than some top class hotel rooms.

We got the very last..they must keep the best till last..which am thankful.

Would return again, got B&B for £85 for two is good value.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank raymondmccaw
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Great place! Friendly, helpful, and great pub!! Looked like rooms have recently been redone. Modern, clean and comfortable.
Would strongly recommend the Inn to anyone looking for a good value and pleasant stay

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Having completed some research on hotels, inns and B&Bs in various Cornish locations, we booked the Top House through Expedia for 5 nights.

Upon arriving we were met warmly and were shown up to our bedroom (Kynance room) on the top floor. What can I say, but the views via the 2 windows were stunning! The comfy double bed was positioned so you could sit there in the morning and look out across Lizard point to sea. The room is tastefully decorated and we had a brand new TV in the room too, although as a slight downside, the DTV reception is a bit dodgy - not that this mattered a great deal with amazing sunsets to watch, a friendly and comfortable pub to sit in downstairs and a nice big bath to relax in after much walking!

We used the Inn as a base to walk around the Lizard from - Kynance Cove, Mullion and Cadgwith are all within a few hours walk around the amazing coastline. The Lizard Lighthouse is a very short walk too.

Once we finished walking, the Top House bar was a nice place to get back to, sit in and order food and drinks from. The food is good pub food which we ate every night. The breakfasts were lovely and very filling; enough to keep you going for a while!

All things considered, this is a lovely Inn, well positioned, friendly, clean, well decorated rooms and we'd recommend. We'll definitely go back!

Room Tip: Book Kynance if you can for the view!