“Amazing tranquil escape with great hosts!”
Review of Green Bay Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manitoulin Island
Green Bay Lodge
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing tranquil escape with great hosts!”
Reviewed 23 September 2012

If you want to step away from your busy life for a while come to Green Bay Lodge! It is the perfect get-away on Manitoulin Island. Located in the heart of the Island at Lake Manitou it offers everything you need whether you travel as a couple or with family or friends. It is conveniently located to explore the island AND you can find serenity in the beautiful garden, an oasis with access to the lake. Rooms are gorgeous, breakfast is amazing and it all comes together thanks to Karen and Klaus, the most wonderful hosts! Don't miss out on an evening boat tour on the lake with Klaus...
Stay for next year already booked! I will never go elsewhere on Manitoulin Island!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica F

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 8 September 2012

It was our third visit this year at the Green Bay Lodge, together with my brother, mom and auntie. Its was awesome, just like in the years before. Its hard to find such lovely people like Klaus & Karen nowadays. The Lodge is very well cared, and perfectly located. Thats the definition of paradise! Okay, i have to admit that the beer is not that good, but that's not Klaus & Karens fault (just kidding). I would definately recommed this Lodge, which has a lot to offer (fireplace, surfboard, fishing rods, canoes and kayaks). It was so much fun to hang out at the campfire with all the other guests, get to know each other und just have fun. I don't feel like a guest anymore. I feel more like a friend, who comes for a visit every year. And to those who complain about the roads: I AGREE! I arrived in my pick up truck and expected a couple of mudholes and huge puddles. But unfortunately, there were only well maintained gravel roads! I guess some people expect a paved highway with 5 lanes in each direction in the middle of canadian bush. Get a life folks! Its nature, and thats what we love about this place!

I can't wait for next year - see you soon, best wishes, cheers and "Prost!" from Bavaria!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Florian A
ontario canada
Reviewed 24 August 2012 via mobile

Totally in agreement with previous reviewers...Karen and Klaus have created a wonderfully tranquil setting for your getaway. The grounds and gardens are beautiful with artistic flourishes that catch the eye. Our upper level studio suite offered a spectacular view of Lake Manitou from the balcony and our private entryway (with its own BBQ) offered another relaxing environment. Karen and Klaus met our every need. Breakfasts were great, day trips aplenty on beautiful Manitoulin. Give Green Bay Lodge serious consideration!

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Two more wonderful hosts you could not find. Klaus & Karen made me feel like a family friend rather than a paying guest. This was cottage country like I remember it from my childhood (but with a few appreciated modern conveniences!) We explored the whole island from here - no place was further than 1.5 hours away. We followed suggestions for galleries and restaurants and interesting places to see, and were never disappointed. The garden and the driftwood artwork were a delight. I cannot recommend this place highly enough - definitely plan to go back!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We spent three wonderful days here to regenerate; unspoiled nature, the best swimming ever,
moonlit nights on our balcony, pristine accomodation, sensibility and attention to every detail in
the grounds and buildings. Our hosts were attentive to our every need without being intrusive;
every moment flowed timelessly ; this is a place to reconnect with oneself.- enjoy!

Room Tip: all rooms are great but the unit on the second story is the largest and affords the best view
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
toronto
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Not much more good things I can say about this place that has not been said before. The sounds of loons cooning at night supported by owls hooting and all backed by chirping crickets punctuated by the occasional splash of a fish really set my mood for relaxation. The morning view of an island in the bay of a lake on an island in a bay of a lake (no puns here) from the kitchen chair spells "I-D-Y-L-L-I-C C-O-T-T-A-G-E" to me. The middle unit was clean, spacious and was fully equipped for light cooking. The only thing to beware is the shower. It is not firmly bolted to the wall and so one must not lean on the walls of the shower as it may tilt. The hosts Karen and Klaus were most helpful and informative. Since we decided on this trip at the very last minute, we did not have time for preparation. Otherwise, we could've brought foods to cook and BBQ and even buy some local fish from a local fisherman (just ask Klaus). BTW, if you don't have GPS, arrive before dark.

Room Tip: Bring your own food. If you don't have GPS, arrive before dark.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Ontario
Reviewed 2 July 2012

A beautiful place to spend time relaxing, swimming, enjoying nature and the stunning landscape. Carefully kept accommodations with good attention to detail and simple comforts. Great to make meals in the evenings and interact with other guests around the campfire - and listen to the lovely family of loons. Thank you Karen and Klaus for a wonderful experience!

Plan to travel around by car to reach sandy beaches, shoppes, hiking trails or restaurants - although you can be almost anywhere on the island in about an hour. 3 nights was an ideal amount of time to enjoy exploring as well as a whole day just reading by the lake.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple