“Beautiful Area, Accommodating Staff”
Review of Red Lodge Resort

Red Lodge Resort
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My family held a reunion at this resort and were the first ones in for the season. The accommodations were great. My wife, myself and two teenage children had a cabin with 2 rooms and a couch that folded into a bed, because we gave our larger cabin to another family member. When we were concerned about the couch, the staff offered to bring in another cot. My son declined and had a good night's sleep on the fold-out couch. At every point we found the staff to be willing to do whatever was necessary to make our stay enjoyable.
The food was delicious and a good value. The location was beautiful with many hiking opportunities in the area.
I would definitely go back again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank AnthonySka
JoyceatRedLodge, Owner at Red Lodge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words! Your family (and yes it is a very large one lol) was a pleasure to have stay here with us. We are glad your weekend went so well, and we enjoyed being a part of your special event. Accommodating large groups like yourselves is something that we hope to do more of in the future. Thanks again, and we hope to see you all again :-)

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Im apart of the Skanes family i heard we were the first ones of the season :) .. We ended up having to rent the whole resort cause we were such a huge family lol .. But the service was absolutely amazing .. Friendly staff great meal plans :) .. Great location .. Quiet when the Skanes were sleeping lol but i would like thank the red lodge for the hospitality :) .. I would recommend this resort to everyone :)

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank NatashaSkanes

LOL! Thanks so much Natasha :-) Your family was great. This was my first large scale event like this as a newcomer to the Lodge and I'm so glad you guys allowed me to get my feet wet with such a fun group. I think we have mastered the whole resort group takeover.....as long as we can borrow "Uncle Pat" each time ;-) Thanks for allowing us to be a part of your reunion and we hope to see you all here again!

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I wanted to show my daughter, her husband and children what family time was all about. We only stayed for three nights but it was great. No TV, no Wi-fi and no complaining from anybody.
We had great weather, the children and their parents thoroughly enjoyed themselves. The cottage was well equipped, the location was great. The food at the Lodge was very enjoyable.

We wouldn't hesitate to visit again.

Room Tip: We had the lake view cabin with three bedrooms it was great. We could get some shade at any time on...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Crystal D

I'm so happy you enjoyed your stay here. We have been established since 1938 and indeed take pride in the "back to basics" atmosphere. No TV, no wifi, just family time and nature :-) When you are ready to get away from it all again, we'd love to have you back anytime :-)

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Pet friendly, great lodge food, clean comfortable two bedroom cabins with a great sunset views in a traditional Canadian mid-century lodge with home style service - what more can you ask for?!! Loved every minute there with 18 acres of water front access. Lake Manitou, largest fresh water lake on an island in a lake, in the world, is a kayaker dream. The kind of place you could easily build family traditions of summer on Manitoulin Island.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2012

My husband and I (and our dog) stayed here for one night in May. We had just come from really terrible accommodations, so Red Lodge was like Heaven! They were OK with us having our dog with us (bungalow room only, extra fee but not much). Weather was usually warm, so I have to agree with a previous review about lack of air flow in these rooms, but the room was otherwise large and comfortable. Lovely waterfront, nice main lodge with beautiful decks overlooking the lake and a soothing waterfall garden beside - nice touch!
Food and service were excellent. We ended up with a dead battery in the morning, and the hostess was wonderful in helping us out.
If you have mobility issues, this may not be the ideal place - steep hill to shoreline and lots of hills, stairs, walkways on the property, but beautifully maintained.
I would not hesitate to stay again and will definitely reccommend it to friends.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jackadoo
Reviewed 28 August 2011

The resort was certainly acceptable, but not all that family friendly with regards to the hostess owner. She was not very welcoming the first time we met her, and made it obvious that she was not pleased with additional 2 more children adding to our family get together. She approached our table of 6 (ages 6 - 11) children and 4 adults at dinner time, to lecture all of us with minor complaints regarding the children. This was her second time lecturing the children. This was done in the open dining room in front of other guests staying at the resort.
She was constantly scrutinizing every move the children made making them feel very uncomfortable, and the children voiced their concerns to us. We have travelled internationally, multiple times and have never been treated this way by a hostess/owner. This made it rather uncomfortable for all.
Later in the week when my husband was trying to help out, by collecting towels for our cabin from the laundry, he was verbably assaulted by the hostess owner for even attempting to help out, since they were short staffed with it being the end of the summer. Apparently all week our daughter in law had no problem going in and out of the laundry area to get towels. She was never told by the hostess that we were not allowed to do this. We felt that the owner hostess left alot to be desired when it came to appropriate ediquette when dealing with paying customers at the resort.
The food was very good, well portioned and service was good. The young man that looked after our table was very positive and friendly to all.
The resort would be fine to go to as long as you didn't take your children!!!

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
13  Thank Honeymooners1970
JoyceatRedLodge, Owner at Red Lodge Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2017

DEFINITELY FAMILY FREINDLY NOW!
New ownership since this person stayed here. However since this review keeps appearing ion OUR site I will respond ;-)
If you are like me, I always check out negative reviews first to see what horrible experiences people have had LOL
There are always 2 sides to a story, but since I was not the owner at the time I cannot respond to this persons experience. All I can say is, we are DEFINITELY FAMILY FREINDLY now ;-) Feel free to bring your kids!

Reviewed 25 July 2011

We also stayed at Red Lodge in a Bungalow Room in July just like bamm-bam did and we agree with his review. We do want to provide you with some additional information. Please keep in mind:
- our Bungalow Room had no air condition, only very small parts of the windows could be opened, there was a fan at the ceiling which did nothing but turn the hot air in the room upside down
- there is no daily room service
- no view on the lake from our room/balcony (blocked by trees)
- parking is complementary
- very friendly hosts

We hope the above together with bamm-bam's review helps you decide wether or not this is the right place for you.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Alex31415

NEW OWNERSHIP
Since this review appears on our site, I will address it as some are sure to be reading it ;-)

We have done quite a bit of maintenance on our grounds and now all cottages and rooms have a view of the Lake. Thank you for letting us know it was not always like this.
Hopefully next time you stay, it will be much more enjoyable:-)