“Fine if you don't like service or hot water”
Review of Baldachin Inn

Baldachin Inn
Ranked #5 of 5 Merrickville B&B and Inns
Ottawa, Canada
“Fine if you don't like service or hot water”
Reviewed 18 April 2011

We went for the weekend away, and took the Junior suite. It has a Jacuzzi hot tub. However, the hot water didn't even fill a third of the tub and since we didn't notice the water was tepid at best. As such, there was not hot water for the room for the rest of the night.

There are no phones in the room, so I called the "front desk" (which doubles as the restaurant entrance. The disinterested person on the other end of the phone said they would look into it. After a half hour of waiting for some response, there was none. To go in person would mean going out of the building around to the front and back into the restaurant area. Payment is up front, and I'm thinking of calling Visa to reject the charges.

For the price I would not stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Juker2112

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed 13 February 2011

Unfortunately, before booking a room at the Inn, I did not read the Trip Adviser reviews.
Like other customers, we found our greeting upon arrival not very welcoming. The sheets on the bed were suspect.
We booked the romantic getaway package in a "junior suite" from the Inn's website. The room was advertised as having a fireplace and jacuzzi, and the package includes a dinner for 2 with wine.
The "fireplace" was actually a fake electric wooodstove. After dinner, we started putting water in the jacuzzi, but ran out of hot, even warm, water before it had filled even halfway to the jets. Just from the vibes I got from our "host", I knew that confronting him with our dissatisfaction would lead to an ugly scene.
Let me say on the other hand, the experience in the dining room was excellent. It was a fabulous room, service and food were fine. They also offered some excellent choices for the included wine.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank fastkenny

Travellers are raving about these Merrickville hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Like a few previous reviewers, we also found the so called "Innkeeper" to be at best indifferent, at worst, sullen. We arrived for our 6 night stay just after Christmas. Much to our surprise, there was no reception, just a check in system( although our names were not taken nopr seemed to be any type of registration system evident) through the bar in the restaurant area(which inconveniently was only open during typical "bar hours" noon to midnight...not that we ever intended to contact the Inn keeper at midnight!).

During our stay, the worn and bleach stained sheets weren't changed once, not to mention the lack of cleaning of our miniscule bathroom (also with a tiny shower stall only, without adequate space to place any sort of toiletries). After two days, we had to seek out someone to ask for clean towles (also threadbare and worn) and that turned out to be the dishwasher in the kitchen , as neither hide nor hair of the Inn keeper was to be found.

However, the crowning glory of our stay was the morning of January 1st at 2am when it seemed that another couple decided it was time to trash their room and proceeded for 2 1/2 hours of screaming and breaking what sounded like all the furniture in their room. This was all very easy to hear considering the paper thin walls. When we grew concerned for the safety of the woman, we tried to find a way of contacting someone,but as there were no phones in any of the rooms or in any of the public spaces in the building, we were not able to contact anyone in the building.

Needless to say, we will NEVER stay at this property again and frankly, believe that its operations are not only substandard, but perhaps even illegal, considering the lack of emergency communication system and the apparent lack of registery system. Heaven forbid a fire ever breaks out !

Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank vista26
Reviewed 2 August 2010

The Baldachin Inn - A Horrible Owner of Inn - A Very Drunk & Angry Man -

On Monday the 26th of July 2010 we wandering into to the beautiful courtyard behind the inn to sit down for a drink. We were invited over to another table by a wonderful resident of Merrickville. There were 8 or 9 of us sitting around the table making introductions. One man at the table was quite drunk and VERY confrontational. He was the owner of the inn, he is a very ANGRY man and was extremely rude to everyone including the guests staying in his inn!!!

After speaking with other people in the town the owner of the Baldachin Inn has a very long history of being an angry & rude drunk and the inn does not have a good history for service. Nothing but complaints about the Baldachin Inn and there restaurant.

Fortunately we were staying at SAM & JAKES INN next door. Sam & Jakes is a wonderful place with wonderful staff, the chef is fantastic and the service is top notch. SAM & JAKES INN is the best place we have ever stayed.

David Loftus
Ottawa, Ontario

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DavidLOttawa
Ontario
Reviewed 20 April 2010

My husband and I stayed one night at the Baldachin. We had wanted to stay at Sam Jakes but it is now being turned into a retirement home. The Baldachin is in a great location - right at the main corner of Merrickville. It is in a stately old stone building dating from 1860. Reception is at the bar. A very friendly and polite young woman checked us in. To get to your room, you go outside, around the corner and up a very long steep staircase. Our room faced an inner courtyard. We had asked for the cheapest room and it was very tiny indeed. The TV was old, tiny and only had about 6 stations. The bathroom has a shower only, no tub.the walls are quite thin and we could hear people coming and going. Also heard a train in the middle of the night. All in all, the inn has a certain charm but it is far from luxurious. Breakfast is not included. We went to a cafe down the street 'Brewed Awakenings' which was ok. I would highly recommend dinner at Locali's. Great food and wonderful service. All in all, our experience in Merrickville was good. It is a lovely little village with some interesting shops and architecture.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Weswee
SmithsFalls
Reviewed 15 July 2009

Over the years i have stayed in the Bridal Suite, The Junior Suite, and have had several meals in the dinning room to celebrate birthdays, anniversary etc. each time our meal was fantastic, the service was top notch and the room were beautiful we will continue to spend our birthdays and anniversary at the Baldachin as it has come to be a very special place for both my husband and me

• Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
Ajax
Reviewed 12 December 2008

This was a block booking made way ahead of time for a groupl of Ex Briits.Having a reunion
Some from Australia ,Winnipeg ,Ajax ,Toronto., Etc
The first thing when we arrive after all our travelling we were asked for the payment . which I found very strange to pay in advance, especially when onehas just arrived.
I am 82 yrs old so had to take the room with the elevator, if you can call it that.
I have Arthritis in the legs so could hardly walk so no way could do stairs.
The elevator there was no light in it, so we had to borrow a flashlight to see the button, well that is when it was there.
My daughter had to keep going downstairs to ask them to close the doors so as she could get the elevator up to the floor where I was.
THere was a fly that never left the room, the noise of a night with the traffic with trucks and air condioner was terrible.. Lucky if we had an hours sleep.
Well that was apart from the toilet which never stopped running I had to switch the shut off valve ,otherwise it was like chinese torture.when we went to bed and switch it back on in the morning.
I don't know why I didn't complain and ask for some sort of compensation,
Especially doing their plumbing. which should have amounted to something.
I couldn't tell about the sheets because they were grey so couldn't see how they were laundered...This wan't like me to not voice my concern about this bad service
I think because the host of the get together had set it all up and Ididin't want her to feel she had booked us a lemon.
I think nowaday one does expect a phone in the room where you could at least contact the reception desk.. I still think I should be compensated.
I can see why they want the money ahead because they are not there in the morning to take your complaints. before 10.a.m But no Elevator before 10.a.m
But they want you out by 11 a.m. I am lucky that I could come down the stairs on my rear end the day we were leaving, although I was scared stiff when I looked at how steep the stairs were, really didn't think I was going to have the nerve to do it, but nothing else to do. So not for me again thank you.. I think in Canada we expect a lot better service than this.
I couldn't seem to alter those ratings, above the write up. But would like to put 5 in the terrible and blank the rest out.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — servive noise LIft
  • Stayed August 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank Lagauna
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merrickville
Best Western Smiths Falls Hotel
#1 of 5 in Merrickville
Merrickville Guest Suites
Merrickville Guest Suites
#3 of 5 in Merrickville

Been to Baldachin Inn? Share your experiences!