“Avoid this place”

Ranked #5 of 5 Merrickville B&B and Inns
Ottawa
“Avoid this place”
Reviewed 28 September 2008

I was one of the guests to this Inn for a friend wedding kept at Baldachin Inn on Sept27. On top of all other “small” inconveniences such as: dirty room, flies in room, a 11 inch TV?! in front of a small AC in window,…, I was shocked by the lack of hospitality from the site of the males personals that seamed unhappy of having to deal with a wedding and guests instead enjoying their "quiet" Saturday.
All those pale on the light of events that happened around 10:30 pm when I went to reception to complain that I was given a room where bad linen was not replaced from previous guests and had with me the pillow as a proof (bad small of seborrhea!!!). Once I presented the pillow to the manager on duty he got angry and threatening (I think was impair by the level of alcohol consumed) and start pushing my had into the pillow and screaming to the other personal to refund my credit card and though me out from his Inn. At my warning to be not be touched and asking for police to be called on on location, the females personal present to the incident grabbed the manager and keep him from continuing his aggression. Their sincere apologies, and on respect for my friend wedding event, I accepted to return to my room with the hostess and leave to deal with this conflict for later. Currently I am assessing with my layer the official complain for: threatening and physically pushing a customer, un lawful decision to have service refused, failure to comply with the hospitality rules and hygiene.
The female personals are working hard and longer hours, and the food was very good but under a manager that is abusive, violent, drank during the working hours I would not recommend anyone to take their chances.
Aept 28, 2008

• Stayed September 2008
5 Thank ady2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2008

Just have the right expectations going in, and you'll be fine. This is a kind of rustic little establishment but definitely falls into the no frills/basic category. As other reviewers have said, this is really small, but it is kind of quaint that way. Just do not expect anything more than a bed and a place to clean up in a cute little town in a pretty area of the countryside. If you picture spending the night in an old family farmhouse, with lots of winding corridors, squeaky wood floorboards, steep (really, really steep) stairs, little nooks n' crannies, where there are a few guestrooms but each just has the basics (basically, a bed and a shower)...that will give you a good idea. I believe each of the rooms are quite different in style, so double check what type of room you are getting (ie: some rooms are more like suites, some rooms just have twin beds, etc.). We were there for a family event and it worked well for us (having the extended family stay in one location) but we were told going in not to have high expectations of the accomodations so we weren't disappointed with the sparse, plain, basic stuff we were getting. I believe the Sam Jakes Inn right next door is much nicer (more elegant, romantic, service,etc.) if that is what you are looking for. Please keep in mind if anyone has mobility issues, though, the Baldachin is not a good choice as the stairs are very steep and could be dangerous (the elevator was broken when we were there). Everything is rather rustic - keys on keyrings with the room numbers printed right on them, peeling paint, etc, and it is confusing a bit because there isn't really a check-in area, you have to check in at the Baldachin restaurant. Parking is on the street, there is no parking lot or garage. However, Merrickville is a teeny tiny town so parking's not an issue like it would be in a city. Didn't eat at the Baldachin restaurant although we did go next door to the Sam Jakes for a nice breakfast. The Baldachin did have shampoo and body wash (but no soap) in the room and a bottle of mineral water (plastic cups). The TV set is miniscule. Cute, but not exactly conducive to TV-watching. Didn't even bother to turn it on, I doubt there was cable, etc. anyways.

• Liked — Felt like we were in someone's house with my whole extended family
  • Disliked — Steep steps and winding, confusing corridors
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank clamc40

Travellers are raving about these Merrickville hotels

Ontario
Reviewed 29 July 2008

UNBELIVABLE, and not in a good way. We arrived after a 7 hour car ride from London Ontario around 10pm. When I finally found where to check in I was "greeted" but the most unfriendly man (apparently the owner) I’d ever seen. He looked at me and said "yeah what do you need." I booked two rooms for two nights, he took my credit card and I asked if he was charging it now (the other room was not to be paid by me) he said "Yes you have to pay to stay here” I was again very put off as most places put simply a hold on the card but also very tired. I was with my father and sister and we headed up the three flights of stairs to our rooms which consisted or rickety beds, a closet for a shower and nothing else. There was no phone so we couldn't even call down to request a spot to hang our clothes for the wedding we were attending the next. I realize it's a small Inn but very sparse. My father went back down and approach the same gentleman and asked simply if there were any other room styles available. He replied those are the rooms take them or leave them. He told my father if he didn't like it he could have his money back and leave......that's exactly what we did!
Although my credit card still has the charge for the two rooms for two nights totaling $400 and it's now been 3 weeks. I've called numerous times to get it reversed and have been told that it "shouldn't be a problem" I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!
As I said, drive the 10 minutes to Smith Falls or better yet enjoy a WONDERFUL stay NEXT DOOR at Sam Jacks, the extra money is Worth it!!!!!

• Liked — HA not a thing
  • Disliked — the OWNER!!!!! Not really sure how his keeps the place running with his attidue
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank CanHotel_Manager
bern
Reviewed 22 October 2007

If you look for a hotel where you can enjoy the noise of the street, if you suffer from insomnia and like to listen to everything that happens, if you prefer not closed windows (badly installed climate control), if you like old towels and if you enjoy being treated like not welcome - well then the Baldachin has to be your choice. Go for it and be masochistic - you will pay it far too high and this is what you are certainly looking for ...

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the noise and the costs
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank cutugno
Brantford, Ontario
Reviewed 3 August 2006

I have just returned from a 3 day stay at the Baldachin Inn. I was on business in a nearby town and decided to stay at this hotel as I found it described very well on a Merickville website.
First of all I knew that it was small, (only 11 rooms) but I thought that might mean better service and ammenities. I was wrong.
I checked in on Monday at about 6pm. We were in the middle of a heat wave at the time and I was directed to my second floor room. The air conditioning has not been turned on in the 30 degrees celcius room. Once in the room it was a good size with a very comfortable queen bed and nicely decorated. There was a corner whirlpool tub in the room and a three pc. bath. This is where I was first disappointed. The towels were old, old, old!!! They had frayed edges and were stained with bleach and very faded. These towels were only changed when I called the front desk on Wednesday to request same. The "new" towels didn't get any better.

After checking into my room I decided to go down to the restaurant for dinner. I ordered a glass of wine which was poured in the un-airconditioned bar. Remember the temperature? That's right, the red wine was served at that temp. Next was the soup... it was described as a creamed tomato soup... what was served was a tomato sauce with dry chicken chunks and large over cooked penne noodles. Next came the main course... the veal was very gamey and was wrapped around spindly dry asparagus. All of this took well over an hour to serve in a very unprofessional manner. I would not recommend this restaurant or hotel to anyone. For the next three nights I ate in a fabulous restaurant next door at the Sam Jakes Inn and was wishing I had stayed there.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — the towels and restaurant
  • Tips/Secrets — stay at Sam Jakes Inn
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled on business
3 Thank GabbysMom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merrickville
Best Western Smiths Falls Hotel
#1 of 5 in Merrickville
Merrickville Guest Suites
Merrickville Guest Suites
#3 of 5 in Merrickville

Been to Baldachin Inn? Share your experiences!