“very quaint and charming”
Review of Baldachin Inn

Baldachin Inn
Ranked #5 of 5 Merrickville B&B and Inns
SmithsFalls
“very quaint and charming”
Reviewed 15 July 2009

Over the years i have stayed in the Bridal Suite, The Junior Suite, and have had several meals in the dinning room to celebrate birthdays, anniversary etc. each time our meal was fantastic, the service was top notch and the room were beautiful we will continue to spend our birthdays and anniversary at the Baldachin as it has come to be a very special place for both my husband and me

• Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Ajax
Reviewed 12 December 2008

This was a block booking made way ahead of time for a groupl of Ex Briits.Having a reunion
Some from Australia ,Winnipeg ,Ajax ,Toronto., Etc
The first thing when we arrive after all our travelling we were asked for the payment . which I found very strange to pay in advance, especially when onehas just arrived.
I am 82 yrs old so had to take the room with the elevator, if you can call it that.
I have Arthritis in the legs so could hardly walk so no way could do stairs.
The elevator there was no light in it, so we had to borrow a flashlight to see the button, well that is when it was there.
My daughter had to keep going downstairs to ask them to close the doors so as she could get the elevator up to the floor where I was.
THere was a fly that never left the room, the noise of a night with the traffic with trucks and air condioner was terrible.. Lucky if we had an hours sleep.
Well that was apart from the toilet which never stopped running I had to switch the shut off valve ,otherwise it was like chinese torture.when we went to bed and switch it back on in the morning.
I don't know why I didn't complain and ask for some sort of compensation,
Especially doing their plumbing. which should have amounted to something.
I couldn't tell about the sheets because they were grey so couldn't see how they were laundered...This wan't like me to not voice my concern about this bad service
I think because the host of the get together had set it all up and Ididin't want her to feel she had booked us a lemon.
I think nowaday one does expect a phone in the room where you could at least contact the reception desk.. I still think I should be compensated.
I can see why they want the money ahead because they are not there in the morning to take your complaints. before 10.a.m But no Elevator before 10.a.m
But they want you out by 11 a.m. I am lucky that I could come down the stairs on my rear end the day we were leaving, although I was scared stiff when I looked at how steep the stairs were, really didn't think I was going to have the nerve to do it, but nothing else to do. So not for me again thank you.. I think in Canada we expect a lot better service than this.
I couldn't seem to alter those ratings, above the write up. But would like to put 5 in the terrible and blank the rest out.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — servive noise LIft
  • Stayed August 2008
2 Thank Lagauna
Merricville
Reviewed 11 December 2008

We live in Merrickville & were hosting a get together of friends from all over Canada & one couple from Australia. So booked 5 rooms.
I should have done my homework , it was an absolute disaster !!!
Firstly I didn't know that rooms had to be paid for beforehand ! Never imagined that ever being done ! Then in the late evening when our guests left to go to the Inn . It was nearly midnight , I just got into bed & the phone rang. It was one of our friends , a young lady. Sobbing her heart out because when she went to get into bed she realized that the bedding hadn't been changed from the previous occupant ! So I went there to pick her up so that she could sleep on our settee . Before she left she had to go into the bar ( that's the reception ) to voice her complaint & get a refund. Can you imagine having to go amid midnight drinkers to do that ? The owner did give her a refund , but no apology !!! Part of the group was an elderly lady accompanied by her daughter. Because they needed two beds they had to go to the top floor. There was an elevator so no problem . Or so we thought . On the morning they were to leave it had broken down !So her daughter went down to the bar. reception . Only one young lad there . I can't do anything he said , I work in the kitchen ! So picture this , an elderly lady having to come down these steep stairs on her bottom. !!!! Luckily she came to no harm but was shattered.
I am not going to leave this matter go away without action . Finding it hard to know who to report it to . Already been emailing around. He will be made accountable eventually . Sad part about all this is the fact that he has a beautiful building in a prime location . We have to make sure that it doesn't reflect on other places in this lovely village . This is going to be a yearly thing & you can be sure that in 2009 Sam Jakes will be the place of choice . I may add here that some of our friends did stay at a delightful B & B called Aincroft B & B . they of course have already booked there in advance .

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The Owner
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
5 Thank Britannia77

Travellers are raving about these Merrickville hotels

Lethbridge, Canada
Reviewed 29 September 2008

We spent one night at this Inn and were very disappointed.

Check -in is a challenge as signage is poor and it took us a while to figure out that the restaurant desk doubles as the inn desk.

The room was not cleaned properly; dirt on windows, carpet not vacuumed well; tap in bathroom had water stains and had not been cleaned. Housekeeping was poor

This inn is not quiet. It is at the intersection of two busy highways and the noise from the trucks gearing down kept us awake. Add to the noise equation, a railway track with frequent trains and you have noise !!!

After the restaurant closes, you cannot find anyone for help with the room. After breakfast, we searched for someone to give this feedback...and found no one as the resrtaurant only opens for lunch.

My advice to travellers: find another place to stay and save your money.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank milchap
Ottawa
Reviewed 28 September 2008

I was one of the guests to this Inn for a friend wedding kept at Baldachin Inn on Sept27. On top of all other “small” inconveniences such as: dirty room, flies in room, a 11 inch TV?! in front of a small AC in window,…, I was shocked by the lack of hospitality from the site of the males personals that seamed unhappy of having to deal with a wedding and guests instead enjoying their "quiet" Saturday.
All those pale on the light of events that happened around 10:30 pm when I went to reception to complain that I was given a room where bad linen was not replaced from previous guests and had with me the pillow as a proof (bad small of seborrhea!!!). Once I presented the pillow to the manager on duty he got angry and threatening (I think was impair by the level of alcohol consumed) and start pushing my had into the pillow and screaming to the other personal to refund my credit card and though me out from his Inn. At my warning to be not be touched and asking for police to be called on on location, the females personal present to the incident grabbed the manager and keep him from continuing his aggression. Their sincere apologies, and on respect for my friend wedding event, I accepted to return to my room with the hostess and leave to deal with this conflict for later. Currently I am assessing with my layer the official complain for: threatening and physically pushing a customer, un lawful decision to have service refused, failure to comply with the hospitality rules and hygiene.
The female personals are working hard and longer hours, and the food was very good but under a manager that is abusive, violent, drank during the working hours I would not recommend anyone to take their chances.
Aept 28, 2008

• Stayed September 2008
5 Thank ady2008
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2008

Just have the right expectations going in, and you'll be fine. This is a kind of rustic little establishment but definitely falls into the no frills/basic category. As other reviewers have said, this is really small, but it is kind of quaint that way. Just do not expect anything more than a bed and a place to clean up in a cute little town in a pretty area of the countryside. If you picture spending the night in an old family farmhouse, with lots of winding corridors, squeaky wood floorboards, steep (really, really steep) stairs, little nooks n' crannies, where there are a few guestrooms but each just has the basics (basically, a bed and a shower)...that will give you a good idea. I believe each of the rooms are quite different in style, so double check what type of room you are getting (ie: some rooms are more like suites, some rooms just have twin beds, etc.). We were there for a family event and it worked well for us (having the extended family stay in one location) but we were told going in not to have high expectations of the accomodations so we weren't disappointed with the sparse, plain, basic stuff we were getting. I believe the Sam Jakes Inn right next door is much nicer (more elegant, romantic, service,etc.) if that is what you are looking for. Please keep in mind if anyone has mobility issues, though, the Baldachin is not a good choice as the stairs are very steep and could be dangerous (the elevator was broken when we were there). Everything is rather rustic - keys on keyrings with the room numbers printed right on them, peeling paint, etc, and it is confusing a bit because there isn't really a check-in area, you have to check in at the Baldachin restaurant. Parking is on the street, there is no parking lot or garage. However, Merrickville is a teeny tiny town so parking's not an issue like it would be in a city. Didn't eat at the Baldachin restaurant although we did go next door to the Sam Jakes for a nice breakfast. The Baldachin did have shampoo and body wash (but no soap) in the room and a bottle of mineral water (plastic cups). The TV set is miniscule. Cute, but not exactly conducive to TV-watching. Didn't even bother to turn it on, I doubt there was cable, etc. anyways.

• Liked — Felt like we were in someone's house with my whole extended family
  • Disliked — Steep steps and winding, confusing corridors
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank clamc40
Ontario
Reviewed 29 July 2008

UNBELIVABLE, and not in a good way. We arrived after a 7 hour car ride from London Ontario around 10pm. When I finally found where to check in I was "greeted" but the most unfriendly man (apparently the owner) I’d ever seen. He looked at me and said "yeah what do you need." I booked two rooms for two nights, he took my credit card and I asked if he was charging it now (the other room was not to be paid by me) he said "Yes you have to pay to stay here” I was again very put off as most places put simply a hold on the card but also very tired. I was with my father and sister and we headed up the three flights of stairs to our rooms which consisted or rickety beds, a closet for a shower and nothing else. There was no phone so we couldn't even call down to request a spot to hang our clothes for the wedding we were attending the next. I realize it's a small Inn but very sparse. My father went back down and approach the same gentleman and asked simply if there were any other room styles available. He replied those are the rooms take them or leave them. He told my father if he didn't like it he could have his money back and leave......that's exactly what we did!
Although my credit card still has the charge for the two rooms for two nights totaling $400 and it's now been 3 weeks. I've called numerous times to get it reversed and have been told that it "shouldn't be a problem" I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!
As I said, drive the 10 minutes to Smith Falls or better yet enjoy a WONDERFUL stay NEXT DOOR at Sam Jacks, the extra money is Worth it!!!!!

• Liked — HA not a thing
  • Disliked — the OWNER!!!!! Not really sure how his keeps the place running with his attidue
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank CanHotel_Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merrickville
Best Western Smiths Falls Hotel
#1 of 5 in Merrickville
Merrickville Guest Suites
Merrickville Guest Suites
#3 of 5 in Merrickville

Been to Baldachin Inn? Share your experiences!