“Quaint little pub, food less than desirable.”
Review of Gad's Hill Place - CLOSED

Gad's Hill Place
Cuisines: American, Canadian, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“Quaint little pub, food less than desirable.”
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

I'm writing this from my table. I had the Guinness stew this afternoon for lunch - which was horrible. It had no flavour and was drenched in spices to mask the culinary failure it was. Service was ok for me; however, the attitude and ignorance displayed to a francophone family speaking in French during their meal was almost intolerable. Limited selection of alcohol available, with most advertised beers (e.g., Keith's and Boes) unavailable. One of the servers also mused that they haven't ordered fresh Guinness in some time because it hasn't been selling well (buyers beware). Overall, less than average pub I wouldn't recommend.

• Visited September 2013
4 Thank RM_LondonUK

Merrickville, Canada
“Not Impressed”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant dozens of times throughout the past 10 years. The service is adequate, and the atmosphere is quite lovely. On Sunday, August 11th, the Dining Room was empty. I ordered, and reconfirmed with the waitress, "rare" Prime Rib. When it arrived, it was almost "well-done". I returned my dinner and the waitress advised that this was the least-cooked Prime Rib they had to offer.
I ordered a "rare" steak. When it arrived it was "well-done"! I immediately showed it to the waitress and she agreed. I told her I was so hungry I would eat it since my dinner partner had already finished his meal.
When the Bill arrived, I reminded the waitress to advise the "cook" that he certainly did not know how to grill a steak. No one else had arrived while we were there, so the "cook" certainly was not inundated with multiple orders that he was not able to cook my steak as it was ordered.
I was not looking for a freebie, but one would think that there would have been some reduction in the Bill, or the suggestion of a free dessert. Nothing. No customer service at "Gad's".
Take your money and get "outta" here is the attitude. The waitress certainly knew who we were. The owner should have a policy of ensuring the customers get what they ordered or something is "comped". Canada should take it lead from U.S. restaurants. Even the offer would have meant something.

• Visited August 2013
4 Thank Roberta B
Ottawa, Canada
“OK -- new chef perhaps?”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Quality and variety of food used to be better, but it's still a lovely atmosphere; best in town. We got spoiled years ago with Chef Joseph and nobody has measured up since. I was with friends and they swore the roast beef was microwaved. Not acceptable.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank 64ajf
Ottawa, Canada
“Not impressed”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Recently had dinner at this establishment, our first visit back in January 2004 was not memorable - food was frozen in the middle and service was not good. Second try in July 2013.... nothing has changed, stained napkins, dingy dinning room, and the food is not great. Very disappointing and will not return.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Copper15_11
Dartmouth, Canada
“Real Good Food - Old English Atmosphere”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Merrickville Ontario is a great little town; lots of great shops, and some really good places to eat. On this trip through, we decided to try Gad's Hill Place. I am lactose intolerant and this time we we with a friend who cannot tolerate Glucose so we were a pretty fussy group. This place fit the bill right away, because they advertised 'glucose free" options on most sandwiches through having a source of glucose free bread.

Eating way to much on this trip through New England & Ontario, I opted for a simple lunch of Mulligatawny soup, and my wife ordered a vegetarian pizza. My soup was just what I needed, and was absolutely delicious. My wife's pizza order got mixed up and she received a meat pizza. The server accepted complete responsibility, and offered to get it fixed, but not wanting to wait, my wife decided to eat it. As it happened the pizza was excellent; she is not vegetarian, just wanted that option, but I appreciated the servers admission of the error - you do not get that so often; it is often someone else's fault, and I have had mistakes like this blamed on me, for ordering wrong (so much for the customer is always right).

the atmosphere of the pub is like an old English Pub, and the menus are presented in old hardcover books. All in all this was a pleasant lunch in an interesting atmosphere. Definitely worth a visit.

• Visited June 2013
Deanna R, Owner at Gad's Hill Place, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Thank you for your kind review. I come by the English atmosphere honestly - my Dad was born in a pub in Middlesex England! And the menus are in books because the theme is based on Charles Dickens so each menu is actually a Dickens book. Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.