“Pricey for what you get”
Review of Il Postino - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Il Postino
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This is an upmarket restaurant & pizzeria located in the old post office at Alstonville on the north coast of NSW. See www.pikeletandpie.com/2009/10/il-postino-alstonville/ for more info & an independent review.
Ballina
“Pricey for what you get”
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Good food, good service (mostly) but very expensive for what you get. I hate paying extra for sides.

Palm Beach, Australia
“Charming setting in village history”
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I have mixed feelings about Il Postino; on the one hand they have a reasonably good standard of food and on the other I think they are severely over-priced. The coffee is always bitter and this is disappointing for me. The service is excellent however, but I think there is an element of snobbery that has inflated the menu pricing and this keeps many of us away as there are other options with excellent food in this region.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank Linda B
“Cannot wait to go back for lunch and dinner”
Reviewed 16 July 2011

After a friend recommended this little gem in the heart of Alstonville, my husband and I decided to see for ourselves. The restaurant has a few tables outside and the entrance consisted of a cake display cabinet and reception style bar. You could see through to the kitchen and it looked immaculate and the chefs looked busy!!! This is a good sign!!! I wondered where we would sit and thought perhaps it was more "cafe" than "restaurant" due to the size and cakes on display, but I was wrong! Just around the corner was the main restaurant seating area. It was very pleasantly decorated and very welcoming. We were given some menus by Steve, who was very informative about the menu and specials. We decided on a coffee to start as we were freezing! Plus this is always a good thing to judge a restaurant/cafe by...how passionate they are about making good coffee!!! It didn't disappoint. In fact it was perfect. The lunch menu was lovely, although not vast, it certainly covered "something for everyone" It was hard to choose, but eventually we decided to share an appetizer/entree of a char-grilled octopus and fennel salad. It was very light and fresh and a good taste-bud tickler!!! We then both opted for a shellfish bisque with scallop, trout and prawns. This was sensational. The flavours were punchy and balanced and the dish was nicely seasoned.The scallop, trout and prawn were cooked to perfection. Our only (slight) criticism was that the serving dish was cold, therefore the bisque and seafood became cool very quickly. Of course, this meant we had to eat a little quicker than anticipated. The char-grilled bread served with the dish was a perfect accompaniment. It was a fairly small portion for a main course, more entree size really, but we didn't mind as it meant we had room for dessert! Thank goodness! The dessert, which again we had two of the same.....was a great lasting memory! It was a sticky banana and walnut pudding with a Malibu butterscotch sauce and all sorts of other bits and pieces which complimented the pudding beautifully. I want to eat this dessert right now, as I'm writing about it makes me want it! Probably the best "pudding' style dessert I have had in a very long time. I had a glass of Pinot Gris to drink with my entree and main, which was lovely and the wine list was well thought out and very reasonable. We asked to look at the dinner menu and were very impressed. Steve, our waiter was excellent and overall the service was superb. We cannot wait to go back to this delightful restaurant and we are happy that it is a half and hour drive for us, otherwise we'd be in there everyday and stoney cold broke!

• Visited July 2011
Lismore, Australia
“Always friendly, always delicious”
Reviewed 12 June 2011

I have dined at Il Postino on several occasions and never fail to be impressed. Recently I had lunch with a friend and enjoyed a delicious hearty autumnal meal. My family and I have also had the take-away pizza on many occasions and always find them to be a cut above. When we have our extended family to visit from Sydney, Il Postino is always high on the list if dining requests.

Visited May 2011
“Fantastic pizza.”
Reviewed 1 June 2011

We ordered takeaway pizza and were really impressed by the quality and interesting flavors. The seafood pizza was amazing and they even did one to our own specifications. By far the best pizza in the Alstonville area.

1 Thank FussyButFair01