“Great park”

Discovery Parks - Ballina
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Me and my partner stayed here during the January holidays and had a fantatstic time. The cabins were great and really clean which was a nice change from a lot of parks we have stayed in previously. The location is amazing too (right on the lake). All in all a really nice holiday and we will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed: January 2012

Reviewed 22 January 2012

My husband and I took our granddaughter away for a weekend treat. She had an awesome weekend playing in the pool and on the jumping pillow. The staff were very helpful and friendly.
It is one of the best places we have ever been to for us and children. The Park was quite and we felt safe in a well protected environment. It was the most professional clean and tidy place we have ever stayed at and we have travelled extensively. Heartfelt thanks to the manager and staff for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 January 2012

We stayed at Ballina Lakeside Holiday Park with another group. We did not have room to pack bikes and decided to take our kids scooters and rollerblades instead. We didn't for a minute think they would be banned in the park. I dont understand why? Upon questioning this with staff we were told the residents don't like them.
It is the first park i have stayed in with rules like this.
I pesonally witnessed a staff member directly chip our friends kids aged 7 and 9 about riding rollerblades on the grass on an adjoining site. The staff member walked straight past the parents and rudely chipped the kids . Why not show some respect and talk to the parents rather than frighten kids? When the Mother intervened to see what was going on , she was advised " They know the rules and if you dont like it you can leave "
We spoke with several other guests during our stay and heard similar stories of a similar nature . Great facilities except for the cheap skate $1.00 charge for the BBQs in the camp kitchen come on!
We won't be back!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
12  Thank steveedgar
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I have just had the best christmas holiday. For once my children (12,9.6) did not complain they were bored.They had a movie on every night,fantasic waterpark and when we had a day of wind and rain they had games to borrow from the office.The mini golf was fun for all of us and it was great family time.I will be booking for next year !

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank shaberg
Reviewed 27 December 2011

My partner and I were on our way to ballina when our caravan was damaged. We were unable to get it repaired immediately and so rang the park to see what options we had. The staff advised us that there was a camper trailer that we were able to utilize for the length of our stay. Life saving!! The park was amazing!! We both felt as if we dove back into our childhood with putt putt and a great pool area. Definately bringing my young cousins back for a go on the big jumping pillow!! The facilities were great and the park was the cleanest I have ever experienced. The added bonus of park security gave us peace of mind that we and our belongings were safe. Thank you to the manager and staff at ballina lakeside for rescuing our holiday!!

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank Milliethompson91
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I took my grand children (4 under 4) camping as their special nanna treat! I didn't know what to expect but the entertainment and facilities were superb. They all enjoyed the jumping pillow and the staff even had movies on over the holidays. The weather was cool but they even went for a swim in the pool. Nanna didn't swim. Thanks lakeside we will bee back. Next time there will be 5

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Nannaduck
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We originally book for January 2011, but were unable to keep to our booking due to the Brisbane floods.
We booked during peak season, paying $1000 for our 7 days.
Due to the natural disaster being out of our control, and an event that was known the world over, we were not received with any compassion by the park when trying to re book.
It took them 3 months to get back to us with dates for when we were able to book back in and use our already paid for booking.
However, even though our original booking was made for peak time, we were advised we were not able to book back in for the same time, or during peak season, nor were we going to get any of our money back.

We booked in for 7 days starting 17th November 2011 , and there were 5 groups booked in, occupying 5 sites.

On Friday morning 25/11/11, I was in my caravan with my husband when we heard banging on the outside. We assumed it was just one of our group trying to be funny until my 7 year old granddaughter came in upset telling us that “some man was yelling at mummy”. We got out of bed and approached our daughter who was being verbally abused by the “manager” of the park.
He had told my 38 year old daughter that “we had one minute to show our faces”. He had been advising her that there had been a complaint raised by the male who had been on the site behind us about our noise level from the night before. Since it had been raining, we were all inside the annex chatting away.
The male in question had yelled out at about 9:30 telling us to “shut up, i need sleep”. We all really thought nothing of it as we were inside talking. Maybe the volume of conversation was a little louder than other sites due to one of our group being 73 years old and hard of hearing.
When we tried to explain our side of the story to the manager, he yelled in my face that he was not interested in my side of the story. He was not interested in anything we had to say as he had advised my daughter that the male who complained had been in the park before. We asked if there were any other complaints, he told us no. I kept asking him to listen to our version of events to which he advised “i don’t like your attitude, you have 1 hour to get out, and you can take them all with you”.
I was absolutely disgusted that I could be spoken to with such anger by someone I was paying to keep employed. I mentioned to him that this entire event had been ridiculous from us needing to change bookings due to the flood, being made to re-book in off-peak if we wanted to use our $1000, when the sites were only $350 during off peak. He then screamed in my face “don’t even think you are getting any refund and none of you are welcome back in this park again”. I laughed at this statement and replied “you can be certain we will not be back”. He then started to walk off yelling over his shoulder one hour to pack up or I will call security and the police.
After he left we asked people around our sites if we were noisy, the only comment made was by a couple, she told us no, he said i heard talking, but what do you expect in a holiday park.
As you can imagine whilst all the screaming from the manager was happening the crowd of people flowing out of their vans built. I had never felt so humiliated and embarrassed in all my life.

The average age of out group was 60 plus. My daughter is a single mother with 2 daughter, one of which is a severely disabled child. My husband is who sets up our caravan and her camper trailer. Anyone with half a brain would know that ONE hour to pack up a caravan/annex and a camper trailer both set up for 7 days is not possible. Plus there were 5 sites to pack up. Four men – average age 63. Five women and 4 children, one of which is severely disabled and cannot be left unsupervised.

We were approached by one of the female staff who advised us we needed to hurry up as it had been 3 hours. I told her we were going as fast as we could.

We eventually got packed and my daughter returned the keys. The gutless “manager” didn’t even show his face, he just left the office girls deal with us all.

So if you are wanting to pay for bad service then this park is the one for you. Do not book this park if you are going in a group and are wanting to relax and unwind with friends.
We have travelled to many places and dealt with a lot of people but this took the cake for the most absurd.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
17  Thank Mandy H
LakesideHP, Front Office Manager at Discovery Parks - Ballina, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2011

The comfort of all guests is our priority. These people disturbed other guests well into the night and were asked to leave because of this and other behaviour. Our external security company reported generally drunken and hostile behaviour and so did other guests, (records kept). As to their story, it is substantially exaggerated, whilst they point their finger at the park there were many pointing back at them. For the record we have video footage of correspondence with these people.