“Ramada Ballina”

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Ballina
Brisbane
“Ramada Ballina”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I visited Ballina for 1 week on business, staying in a 1 bedroom suite.
The rooms were very well equipped and spacious, with a lovely verandah view over the river. The ample kitchenette and separate dining table were fantastic.
Everything was extremely neat and tidy, however, most of the glasses in the kitchen had dirty marks, lipstick, etc, which was a little off putting.
When calling the hotel, I was very impressed with the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. They helped me to organise my stay at an appropriate rate, and were always prompt to respond to my enquiries. However, a couple of the front desk staff during my stay were very curt and abrupt, and a little rude during check in/out. I would have expected a more consistent standard of service at this level of accommodation, but having said that I guess you will find helpful and not so helpful people wherever you go! This didn't really bother me, as I was out to business during the day and did not need assistance from the front desk staff on many occasions.
The location was very central to the town, which was great. It was also helpful to have the restaurants and take away options on the ground floor of the hotel.
The garage was extremely busy after "work hours", and quite tight to maneuver a car around. But it was great to have the secure undercover option, with secure roller doors after hours.
One comment on noise, the suites shared a small entrance hallway between two. This meant that each time my neighbor closed their door or were a little noisy, the noises could be heard quite loudly in my room, which was a bit tricky when they arrived home late, etc. Perhaps asking for a room away from others (if possible) might help this.
Also, as the rooms look right out directly onto the river, the lower floor rooms are not very private due to the public walkway along the river. This was always buzzing with joggers and people walking, which created a nice ambiance, however, it did also mean they were only a few metres from the verandah!! This would not be an issue on higher floors, so remember to ask.
Overall I enjoyed my stay, and found the Ramada a very comfortable and convenient home away from home.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor, for more privacy from the public walkway along the river just outs...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Ben D, Manager at Ramada Hotel & Suites Ballina Byron, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear AJ_Brissie, thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am very pleased to read that your over all stay was comfortable. All staff operate at a high level of consistency, whether it being front office or housekeeping. However in light of your feedback i will address this with staff to ensure our standard remains consistent. Thank you again and i look forward to hosting again soon. Kind regards Ben Dargie Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Finnish first
Coffs Harbour
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We had a sporting event in Byron Bay and because it was schoolies, and like ALL hotels they jacked the price up too high. Even the Ramada tried to over charge us as they advertised 160 (apparently summer is over in November!) they tried to charge us 190, we got it fro 180 which was still a bit high. Check their web site for better deals. But like I said all hotels get a sniff of an event and lift their tarrifs.

OK, now that I have had a whinge about hotels lets talk about the Ramada. We were greeted by pleasant staff who were very helpful. The room was extremely neat and the bed was comfortable, we had room 503 which looked out over the river. Even if you looked out over the town you got nice hillside views. Great Italian restaurant below made the trip even more enjoyable.

Rooms are small but the bathroom was big.

They had a nice bar and restaurant within the hotel. The pool looked pretty inviting as well.

Would we stay here again? Most definitely. Sorry Byron Bay, you are an over priced town hungry for the tourist dollar. Stay at the Ramada and travel up to Byron.

Room Tip: above 5th floor for the views in all directions.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jakar74
Australia
Reviewed 9 November 2013

On arrival we were upgraded to the Penthouse as the hotel was full, therefore how could I not write an excellent review. I do not know what the 2 bedroomed suite that I had booked was like, but the penthouse was beautiful. I suspect it had not been used very much as it appeared brand new, even the glassware still had the stickers on the bottom of the glass. However all the rooms seemed to have excellent views over the river. The hotel is very new so I am sure all the rooms would be in excellent condition. The point bar had a good happy hour and the menu looked ok but we decided to eat in the Indian restaurant. There is a choice of the Point, The Indian and an Italian and all allow you to charge the meal to the room, although I believe the Indian made a small charge for this. We didn't have breakfast but went into the street behind the hotel where there were many cafe's. The RSL is also close by and was another good choice for a drink or meal. If I was to find myself in Ballina again I would definitely choose this hotel as it is in a great location, clean and modern and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 November 2013

A big thank you to the staff at the Ramada Ballina, after a very long and stressful drive for our beautiful accomodation during the long weekend in NSW, We were so impressed that we opted to stay a further 2 nights. Rested and relaxed in the pool, beautiful restaurant for all meals. Thank you again.

Room Tip: Try for room with view over the river.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ben D, Manager at Ramada Hotel & Suites Ballina Byron, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Hi Michele thank you for taking the time and submitting a great review. I was delighted to read you felt rested and relaxed and decided to stay on with us. It was truly our pleasure to host you and hope to do so again in the near future. Thank you and kind regards Ben Dargie Hotel Manager
Alexandra Headland, Australia
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I recently stayed at the Ramada at Ballina and I have to say I was very impressed. My room was beautiful and very clean. The view from my balcony was stunning and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is situated in one of the best positions in Ballina with lovely views and central to everything. I will definitely be back for another stay in the future. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a special experience.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Ben D, Manager at Ramada Hotel & Suites Ballina Byron, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Dear AlexBeachCabins Thank you for taking the time to submit your great review. We are truly fortunate to have such a spectacular location, and equally fortunate to have such dedicated staff. Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to hosting you again in the near future. Kind regards Ben Dargie Hotel Manager
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I research my hotel choices very thoroughly, and it was clear when we saw the location of The Ramada in Ballina, that I had made a good choice. Upon driving into town we passed many hotels with very ordinary outlooks. The Ramada sits adjacent to the river – pelicans swim by and we even saw a couple of dolphins!
Free parking is provided on the first and second floors of the hotel. A rolldown door is closed at night.
The hotel has open walkways, and the balcony of our room on the third floor was shared with many other rooms resulting in a distinct lack of privacy and lowered security.
The room was very spacious with a king size bed. There was plenty of room for storage and a decent sized safe. All the usual facilities were evident – fridge, electric jug etc. Internet was available but we had our own so I am not sure if extra cost was involved in its use. The bathroom was huge with both a shower and spa bath – Peter Morrissey products were supplied. There was an extremely mouldy smell in the shower when I stepped in for the first time but this disappeared with use.
The Ramada complex contains three restaurants – a la carte, Indian and Italian. We enjoyed a drink by the riverside then ate in the a la carte restaurant. The steak was excellent but the self service drinks let the experience down somewhat.
Try Evolution café adjacent to the hotel for breakfast, The Bean Bank for lunch – their signature green salad is one of the best I’ve eaten, and the Hotel Henry Rous for a well cooked pub meal.
An excellent path runs past the hotel and a morning stroll is a great way to start the day. For those who prefer a swim there is a nice looking pool area. If the great outdoors is not your style the hotel does has a small gym.
We recommend the Ramada and hope to stay there again when we next pass through Ballina.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FreoCreatures
Ben D, Manager at Ramada Hotel & Suites Ballina Byron, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear FreoCreatures Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. It was great to read you enjoyed your stay and our facilities and managed to experience some of Ballina's local cafes as well. I look forward to hosting you again in the near future. Thank you. Kind regards Ben Dargie Hotel Manager
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

What a lovely spot, I liked the view and rooms were nice.
I particularly loved that breakfast was a la carte, I hate paying for buffet breakfasts which are rarely anything special. I enjoyed my poached eggs on toast which were much cheaper than your average buffet.
I was disappointed with the balcony which was not partitioned. I was travelling alone and I would have felt safer/more comfortable if other guests didnt have access to my balcony doors. For this reason I kept the curtain and doors closed and I missed out on the lovely views and fresh sea/river air.

• Stayed October 2013
BallinaRamada, General Manager at Ramada Hotel & Suites Ballina Byron, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Jenny787878, Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay at the Ramada Hotel & Suites Ballina. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and hope to be of service to you again in the future. The majority of the hotel does have private balconies and you can request this from our Reservations department when making a booking. Thank you again. Kind regards, Karen Whiteford, General Manager