“Bellbird Cottage, Bermagui, NSW”

Bellbird Cottage B&B
Ranked #1 of 3 Bermagui B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We were fortunate to spend a few nights in this wonderful B and B, just outside Bermagui Town centre, in March 2013. It is remarkably good and the breakfasts were the best I have had in any hotel or B and B anywhere in the world. One hardly needed another meal during the day! In addition the hosts were so helpful. It is remarkable also for the amazing Bellbirds which serenade one for a large part of the day. It is unique and highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JandT2014
TranquilityAustralia, Owner at Bellbird Cottage B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thank you so much for such a fabulous review. I am so pleased that your stay at Bellbird still holds such lovely memories for you. We are indeed fortunate at Bellbird to have a wonderful ever changing bird orchestra, so of course we need to provide enough breakfast for you to be able to sit back and enjoy the show. That's my excuse anyhow. :) I hope we can welcome you to Bellbird again on your next trip to Oz. Cheers Gretel

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Amongst the flora and fauna with bellbirds enhancing the surrounds, this was our introduction to the Bellbird Bed & Breakfast at Bermagui. This Bed & Breakfast offers a modern twist in accommodation for Bed & Breakfast devotees. The hosts, Gretel and Tony were most welcoming on our arrival. The suite has its own private entrance for guests' convenience. On arrival, Gretel showed us to our suite and at around 5.00 pm, brought down to our suite a tasty cheese platter. Breakfast was served to us on a beautifully presented tray in our suite, which included smoothies, bacon and egg tarts, fresh fruit, home made muesli, home made pastries (some of which were heart shaped as it was Valentine's Day). It was delicious and certainly not your normal bed and breakfast fare. It was all served with great attention to detail. The suite was beautifully decorated with many lovely "Gretel" touches. The bathroom had a roomy bath with a private view of the natural bush garden and twin shower heads in the roomy shower. There were above average boutique bath and shower products. This Bed & Breakfast was a great find for our short stay in Bermagui and we wished we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
TranquilityAustralia, Owner at Bellbird Cottage B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Many thanks for your lovely review and all the photos. I've never thought of ourselves as 'out of the box' , but really enjoyed the new terms as well as the other new one of 'Gretel's touches' :) We have certainly tried to merge the best of 'traditional' B&B, while adding our own style and preferences, to create what we always hope is a beautiful experience for our guests. I am so thrilled that you have enjoyed your stay so much. I had a lot of fun, playing on the Valentines theme for your stay, and your lovely guest book comments were much appreciated. We will look forward to welcoming you again on your next stay. Cheers Gretel

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I cannot recommend Bellbird enough.

As it was my first time staying in a B&B I was a little hesitant at first, however my fears could not have been more unfounded! Gretel and Tony have struck the perfect balance of service while offering complete privacy - they really are the perfect hosts. The Tripadvisor reviews don't lie either about Gretel's cooking - delicious is an understatement, by god can that woman cook!

The room is spacious and the bathroom is exceptional, I am in love with the corner bath overlooking the garden! The room was so good I never wanted to leave. If you are after a weekend getaway for R&R or romance (...or just for great food) you can't look further than Bellbird.

p.s Magutu the cat is the perfect concierge - I wish I could have taken him home with me! Oh well, I guess I will have to settle on returning to Bellbird to visit him soon :o)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
TranquilityAustralia, Owner at Bellbird Cottage B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Thank you so much for such a lovely review and thank you from Mgutu as well. He always loves an adoring guest and tries hard to be a good Concierge but his age is working against him a little now :) I am very flattered by such high praise of my cooking, I really do just enjoy playing with food and don't think of myself as a great cook, but I am so very pleased that you have enjoyed it all so much. We and Mgutu will look forward to your return visit and wish you all the very best for your exciting upcoming travels. Cheers Gretel

Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Set in amongst graceful spotted gums in the hills rising up around picturesque Bermagui, Bellbird Cottage is the ideal spot for a romantic weekend away. The perfect hosts, Gretel & Tony provide a combination of luxurious comfort, delectable regional fare, relaxed good fun & a delightful setting that will hook you. You'll be hanging out til you can next make it back to beautiful Bermagui.
Highlights (apart from the hosts & food!) include the local bird life (we saw 7 lyrebirds on one foray into the garden), the lovely walks in the area & the local artwork displayed & supported by Gretel.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
TranquilityAustralia, Manager at Bellbird Cottage B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

Many thanks for your lovely review and I am so pleased that our beautiful lyrebirds came out to meet you. We've had an echidna wandering around lately and the wallabies have been nibbling in the evenings. We never know when we will not be alone. :)
We feel very privileged to have a spot like Bellbird, and are thrilled that your experience with us has brought you so much pleasure.
We hope we'll be able to welcome you back soon. Cheers Gretel

Reviewed 23 October 2013

“Truly outstanding” are the only words I can use to describe our get away at Bellbird Cottage. Tony and Gretel are amazing hosts and have found the perfect balance of total service and complete privacy. They have created a 5 star room in the peace and tranquillity of their property. Nothing has been overlooked and my wife and I have found our getaway location for many years to come.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mandt1985
TranquilityAustralia, Owner at Bellbird Cottage B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Our thanks for such a beautiful review. It is wonderful to hear that we've created the right balance, as both privacy and service are something we take considerable pride in. It will be an absolute pleasure to be your getaway for as many years as you would like. We will look forward to your return. :)

Reviewed 12 October 2013

We are not usual B&B stayers, having had some very ordinary experiences to date, so it was with some trepidation that we indulged in the gift from our family. From the moment you arrive at Bellbird Cottage you enter a world where exemplary service and hospitality still exists. Somehow Gretel and Tony have managed to find the perfect balance between privacy and service. The beautiful room and adjoining bathroom are immaculately clean and immediately feels like a home away from home. They isn't a personal touch that they haven't included here, from port and nibblies to accompany your movie choice to amazing lotions and potions (male and female varieties) in the bathoom. The property is gorgeous and the grounds serene and tranquil, overflowing with birdlife. Although we spent only 2 nights we left feeling like we had enjoyed a great holiday. Gretel's passion for the Bermagui area is surpassed only by her knowledge of same and we went to as many of her suggested places as we could fit in. Bellbird is also an economical choice as the Breaky basket that arrives at your chosen time is not only out of this world it will last you all day!! We took homemade fruit loaf on one of our excursions, had remaining fruit salad and yoghurt for afternoon tea and had no sooner finished that when Gretel appeared with a beautiful local cheese platter to have with a glass of wine while the sun set. We can't wait to get back to Bellbird and next time we hope it will be for a longer stay. Thank you Gretel and Tony.

Room Tip: Only one room and it is perfect! They have another self contained property nearby for larger groups...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CanberraJane
TranquilityAustralia, Owner at Bellbird Cottage B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Our thanks for your beautiful review. I am so pleased that the gift from your family was such a wonderful experience. Yes we are big fans of beautiful 'lotions and potions' :) and love nothing more than knowing you have felt spoilt and pampered. We have the greatest respect for guests need for privacy and I am so pleased that we have struck the perfect balance for you. We look forward to your next visit and I just might have to use you as 'taste tester' for another new dish.:) Cheers Gretel

Reviewed 16 August 2013

While planning our third trip to Bermagui I got in touch with Gretel and Tony only to find they were booked for the nights I wanted to stay...Oh no....What to do? So Gretel had the ideal solution, why not stay at their other place Art on Hart, a self catering house. It was just right and very comfortable although we missed the bellbirds in the trees and of course the cat. Gretel made sure we were well stocked for breakfast and came to 'visit' us for a chat and catch up. We love Bermagui and the surrounding areas and it was good to be back and we will certainly be back again when next we are in Australia.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JoSaint51
TranquilityAustralia, Owner at Bellbird Cottage B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

It was so lovely to have you back, and so glad that you loved Art on Hart as well. We are always so chuffed that you have made us your Bermagui home when you return to Oz, I couldn't resist popping over for a quick hello. :) Mgutu also sends his regards as he remembers fondly the pats and rubs he gets when you stay at Bellbird. It will be lovely to see you on your next trip 'downunder', in the meantime take care and see you again soon. :) Cheers Gretel