“Berry Hotel, Lift your game”
Review of Berry Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berry
Berry Hotel
Ranked #6 of 8 Berry B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Jumped on Trip Advisor to write a review of the Berry Hotel and found that many of the reviews agree with my opinion. This place has down hill. I have come back to the Berry Hotel thinking it will be OK but each time it gets worse. On my recent trip we called in for dinner. The restaurant at the back was cold and there appeared to be only one heater working. Given the size the space this is woefully unacceptable. The South Coast/Southern Highlands is chilly and it rains a lot, it isn’t an unusual situation. We found a table for our group (of six) and sat down. After having ordered our meals a couple turned up and sat at our table, they claimed they had “reserved” the table. There was no “reserved” sign on the table and when we ordered we were not told that the table was booked. We witnessed this same scenario played at a few times throughout our stay. No one in my group was particularly impressed with our meals and the service is disorganised. Berry Hotel should take note, you need to lift your game

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 April 2012

Took advantage of the $10 lunch and it was acceptable for the price. The Alpaca burgers were were indistinguishable from ordinary burgers so perhaps the actually Alpaca content may be negligible. Surprised by the dreadful reviews because the worst I would say would be 'unremarkable'. I've been to worse, MUCH worse.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Ezekie
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I've been visiting Berry for years and have always enjoyed a schooner at the Berry Pub, but something has gone very wrong in the last couple of years.

The front bar staff staff are pleasant enough, though the impression any visitor gets is that they're the butt of the local's jokes. Still, that's par for the course with most country pubs. Where this one really falls down is with the dining room. The Staff all look like they've been sucking on lemons for months and treat customers with unguarded contempt. On our most recent visit we ordered 6 adult mains and a couple of kids meals ($130 without drinks) and every plate of food was inedible.

From a simple beef burger to fish and chips, the kitchen used the cheapest, crappiest ingredients while still charging prices well above what you'd see in a top Sydney gastro pub. The food was simple awful, though like most places on the South Coast, there was enough on the plate to feed an army.

This could be one of the best pubs in NSW if it was run with a smile and a generous spirit, but much like the old Clifton Hotel, it's an incredible space run by pinched-lip, money-grubbing people who clearly hate their customers. And much like Clifton, it will close soon unless changes are made.

Turn around, drive 15 mins back to Cronin's in Gerringong and have a much better time.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Case12
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We used to come to this pub years ago and it was really good value as even though the rooms were old and VERY basic, the food at the pub was really great so it made up for it. We hadn't been here for a couple of years though and were really disappointed when we stayed here for a couple of nights this month. The food has really gone down hill in a major way. I didn't realise that panna cotta could taste so awful. You have to be a pretty bad cook to stuff that up and the choc mouse was inedible - dry, floury and goodness knows what they did to get that result either. They definitely need to fire the head chef/cook and delouse the beds, as there were bedbugs too!!! Tiny little 1.5mil yellow ones...ewwwww....won't be coming back. VERY DISAPPOINTING.

Room Tip: Not sure that's possible. You could perhaps ask for a room without bedbugs, but that may not be...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We made the mistake of staying at the Berry Hotel. The upstairs accomodation is disgusting. OLD beds with bedbugs (or were they fleas ?). Musty, dirty rooms. Appalling OLD showers with zero hygiene standards. If any of you remember the house interior on the TV show "The Munsters" then Berry Hotel is a similar type of accomodation. Eating in the hotel restaurant downstairs could also be a health risk. We sat on the downstairs balcony and there were flies everywhere. The tables were old and dirty and wobbly. A very unpleasant experience.

Room Tip: Tip is don't stay here
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 December 2011

From the moment we were shown to our table it was clear the waiting staff were clearly not going to be hospitable. They were unfriendly and even bordering on rude. Having booked a table for 1pm we ordered our starters and mains. The starters arrived in good time and was enjoyable. Two of the six main meals arrived at 1.50pm. These were both steaks, one cooked medium rare, the other well done. The waitress mixed them up. After waiting for twenty minutes for the other four meals to arrive I complained to the waitress and sent my steak back, as by now it was cold. She sent the manager (?) who was extremely argumentative and informed me that "If I wanted another steak it would be at least 20 minutes as there are other diners here too". The other four meals arrived within the next five minutes and my steak shortly afterwards. From the first meal to arrive on the table to the last was half an hour!!
To sum up I found the service at this restaurant abysmal, the wait staff rude and the manager argumentative and totally unprofessional in his dealing with my valid complaint. If you want good food with courteous staff then give this place a miss.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 October 2011

This hotel was disgusting to put it mildly. They made me pay before I saw the room. Had I seen in I would have done a u turn. Room dusty dank/smoke scented the last time it was cleaned probably 1970. Loud music till 12.30 am. I didn't sleep in the bed I was that scared. Can't believe I made such a mistake and didn't look on here first. The bathroom was nasty. I got in the shower only because i needed to shower but it didn't look clean so I left my thongs on my feet. Please don't make the same mistake as me. Lonely planet Australia recommends-they must be out if their minds. Oh and the bin is a bucket with a plastic bag in it.

Room Tip: Don't take any room
Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo