“Pleasant surprise”

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Bowral
Yarramalong
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Only stayed one night, but was impressed with rooms. Great views and feel. Beds a bit dodge but fine. Front desk staff were great and brekkie hit the spot. Only downside is we didn't have dinner there as friends said it was wonderful, unlike Sutton forest inn.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank YarramalongDeadly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I found the property to be beautiful, the rooms were a little bit tired so a little spruce up would go a long way ! Found the Inn was great with an open fire and a great selection of local wines. Food was nice and in my opinion above normal pub fare. Had the cook your own steak which the meat was fantastic. All in all I will be back.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Mark R
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed for 2 nights. Our room was lovely and warm with a beautiful outlook. It was clean and comfortable.

Unfortunately it was tired and in need of a revamp.

Our door couldn't be locked from the inside which we prefer to be able to do when we are going to sleep.The door also rattled terribly in the wind so we had to put our case up against it.

The restaurant meal was really disappointing, so much so that we wouldn't go back.

On the positive the service was friendly and prompt.

1 Thank Restored1
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Recently stayed for one night for 3yr anniversary. The room was flawless, amazing amenities provided, clean, classy, very large tub, great design and layout of room overlooking lake. The staff were soooo friendly. 100% recommend and 100% going back. Do not hesitate! Great price for very very high value!

Room Tip: Ensure view of lake, absolutely beautiful
1 Thank therese b
Corrimal
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We drove up here on a Sunday - it was very cold 7 degrees. The Restaurant was booked solid and one of the girls told us there would maybe be some tables in the bar lounge area.

We found a nice cosy table with comfortable lounge chair right in front of an open fire. The waitress and bar staff were excellent.

The steak we both had for lunch was extraordinarily good cooked to perfection and the accompanying large baked potato with sour cream was good as was the choice of salad.

I would not hesitate to recommend Briar's for a nice, cosy relaxing lunch

2 Thank Roscoediboscoe
Sydney
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed for Mon & Tues nights. Room was well-appointed , clean , good outlook with a nice view over green space and private pond with Gazebo. The only real issue was a lack of communication re the amenities and an embarrassing moment at dinner. 1) We could not get the TV to work, apparently there was a 'Kill Switch" next to the bedhead ( never heard of this before and why when you have a remote ? ) . Had to ring reception to find that one out. 2) Advertise Foxtel, give you a program with 3 movie channels listed, but then only have one programmed into the set. So no movies and no in-house movies. again had to ring reception and even she didn't know without ringing some-one else 3) On arriving at reception saw the nice room shown in brochures with fire, lounge room etc but then told "we only use that for receptions and weddings, you need to go to bar" (another building) 4) At dinner, we ordered drinks at the bar, to sit in front of the fire, before sitting down at our table, but I was then asked to hand over my drivers licence. Not only had I pre-paid the stay, and left credit card details at reception, as is the norm, now I was being asked to hand over my licence to complete strangers. After to-ing and fro-ing, they settled for the room key. I have travelled all over the world and have never been asked this before. 5) Our table was pointed out to us, nobody took us, and then left sitting there until we asked for a menu and were then told 'Oh you order at the counter and we bring it to you' Communication please guys, This is your place not ours and we need to be told how it works.

2 Thank ColinGSydney
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I have recently stayed for 4 nights with a friend. Our room was very comfortable with a beautiful view. Krista on reception was so helpful and very professional, she made us feel very welcome. However, I feel the standard of communication at the Inn was lacking and I was put in a very embarrassing position. We had paid $40 between us for each day to have breakfast but decided to have coffees instead. For 2 mornings the staff made us a flat white each, they were welcoming and polite. But on the last morn, I was told a definite no, and when I told her about the previous service, she firmly said "well they shouldn't have" and turned her back on me. So I thought I'd check with the other staff, she went into a long explanation about why, so I asked for a tray so I could take a little bit of breakfast to my friend. When she brought the tray back she left it on the side and it was dirty. I was left standing there and quite frankly felt like bursting into tears. We have asked this to be reported to the manager. I am a polite and caring person. I work as a nurse and would never turn my back on someone in mid sentence no matter how busy we were. Quite frankly the two women didn't care.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Rosesinposies
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowral
Peppers Craigieburn
Links House
#1 of 9 in Bowral
Milton Park Country House Hotel & Spa
The Sebel Bowral Heritage Park

Been to Briars Country Lodge & Inn? Share your experiences!