“Good value, without pretensions.”

Briars Country Lodge & Inn
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Bowral
Reviewed 13 June 2010

We booked a night away last minute on Wotif. Having booked it online, we were a little worried when we read some of the reviews on Trip Advisor but need not have been concerned. The lodge isn't top end but it is clean and tidy, set in a great location and good value for money. The staff were friendly and attentive, the room was very clean and the breakfast of a high standard. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would happily go back again. If you want a very comfortable (but not necessarily expensive or flash) night away, we'd recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 April 2010

Each year a group of friends get together for a weekend of fun. Some of us have been friends since Kindergarten and our time together is very special.

The Brairs is the perfect venue for our weekend. Staff is friendly and accomodating. The food is amazing and the DJ on Saturday night, provides music for our taste that has us dancing the night away. We stay at the First Tee cottage and each of us has our own room and bathroom, as well as a gathering place looking onto the water.as well as chairs in order to be outside by the water if desired.. We have a fridge for our wine and have all the luxuries we could ask for in a very homey and cottagy atmosphere. We make sure to book every year before we end our stay for the next year.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 April 2010

We deliberated for quite a while before deciding on Briars for our weekend trip to Bowral.

Initially we were concerned that it wasn't close enough to Bowral town centre, but it's in such an idyllic location - rolling hills on all sides and so serene. Also the hotel is right next to a lovely walking and cycling path which was jut beautiful.

So, location was great in the end, only 5 mins drive to bowral town, and the same to the cute moss vale town.

Bedrooms are BIG! There is effectively a separate sitting room, that opens out onto your own patio overlooking the hills and a gorgeous pond with ducks. Our little girl loved feeding the ducks! We had a great night's sleep, it was just so quite...
The furniture is a little bit boring, but it's so clean and comfortable that I wasn't expecting a 'character cottage' style place.

Plus, the adjoining Briars Inn has all the character you need! Very old, it serves amazing food. I can recommend the dinner there for a $14 vegetarian buffet option - a selection of fresh tasty salads and veg. And the breakfast buffet the next morning was one of the best we have ever had - it tops 5 star hotel buffets we've eaten at, purely for the quality of food with great attention to detail and very home grown style breads, cereals and stewed fruits.

All in all, I cannot fault this place, and we will be back...

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2010

We decided to book a night away last minute and found a fantastic rate for the Briars on Wotif. Having booked it online, I was a little worried when I read some of the reviews on here but I shouldn't have feared. True, the hotel isn't uber premium but it is clean and tidy, set in a great location and fantastic value for money. From the moment we arrived the staff were friendly and attentive and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay - will definitely be going back again. If you want a comfortable (not flash) night away, I'd recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank chris_paco
Reviewed 19 April 2009

We turned up at Briars at 2pm- standard check in time and were told the room will be ready in 15mins. A little annoyed but we waited 15mins(While we waited, about 10 different people got their keys.) only to be told another 20minutes. No apologies or anything, just attitude. We had to leave at 2:30pm to go to a wedding and we asked for the cleaners to come back so we can at least get ready. But were told to use the bathroom in the reception.

Very expensive for what you get. We paid $260AU for a very standard highway motel kind of room. No breakfast or anything. Biggest waste of money!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ai-Syd
Reviewed 28 March 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights and were impressed with the standard of our lodge, considering we only paid $80 per night. Reception staff were friendly, our lodge was clean and tidy and there was ample onsite parking. Excellent value for money. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Aussietravellers16
Reviewed 14 March 2009

Firstly, note that this hotel is between Bowral and Mossvale. Don't expect to be able to walk to either Mossvale or Bowral towns. A taxi from Mossvale station (nearest) was A$13.

On arrival the receptionist was welcoming, friendly and professional. I had booked room only and she did ask me twice if I was having breakfast and if so, Continental or Full and did not seem happy that I wanted to make my decision in the morning!

The room was clean and beautifully quiet with a lovely outlook onto a landscaped garden, pond with ducks and rolling hills in the distance. A very tranquil setting.

I was travelling on my own and sometimes I find hotel/pub restaurants not so comfortable for the single traveller, but here, it was fine. You need to book a table, this is a popular place. The restaurant offered good value for money and outstanding food. I did find the serving staff a bit brusque and offhand - but they were efficient. They have a practice of taking your room key and holding it hostage until you have signed for your meal. Perhaps they have had some walk-outs, but I wasn't entirely comfortable with this, especially as it took some time for them to find my key at the end of the meal.

There are no "Do Not Disturb" signs in the rooms, which means you will have housekeeping staff knocking on your door on the day of your departure.

Breakfast was disappointing. Awful coffee (I would guess it was instant, sat in hot plate jugs to stew) and "selection of fruits" was three types of under-ripe melon. A real let down after such a good dinner the night before. They have a coffee machine which I suppose I could have asked for a coffee from, but as I was paying $20+ for breakfast already, I did not want to pay an extra $3 for a decent coffee that should have been included.

I would stay there again and would recommend to others. If I went again, I would ask for the quietest room as they will put you at the end furthest from the pub which looked like it could get lively, with an outdoor dining area.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank hpsing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowral
4 mi away
#1 of 9 in Bowral
Gibraltar Hotel Bowral
The Sebel Bowral Heritage Park
Milton Park Country House Hotel & Spa

Been to Briars Country Lodge & Inn? Share your experiences!