“no ventilation”

Nomads Byron Bay
Brisbane, Australia
“no ventilation”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

we stayed in the king room for $150 a night and unfortunately the window had been sealed shut and we could not have any fresh air. This was made worse when the exhaust in the bathroom was not working and the only fresh air came from a enclosed corridor. we really didn't expect much but is it even legal not to have a window?
we were very disappointed and will never stay here again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Karine B, General Manager at Nomads Byron Bay, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
Dear sophie l,

Thank you for your review. I was obviously disappointed to read your comments and I apologise that the stay did not meet your expectations.

We do have a variety of King rooms which are different styles, some have the circular windows such as the room you stayed in and others have full opening doors with balcony's. Different people do have difference preferences and once again I apologise if you found your room uncomfortable.

Sam B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I first visited this hostel three years ago and thought it was brilliant. It was clean, modern and with some great staff. Sadly on returning it appears to be run down and run by a team of young, immature staff with the main goal of getting you to go out and get drunk every night. It's as though a bunch of young nightclub reps have been let loose managing a hostel.

The noise is terrible with shouting / screaming in the corridor at 3am midweek seeming standard. The staff are fully aware of this (see the managers responses to other reviews) yet it seems that no effort is taken to manage this. In many ways it's of their own making as staff appear instructed to literally whip guests up into an excited drunken frenzy from 7pm every night.

The staff manning the front desk seem very fake and in my experience fairly unhelpful. They seem to spend more time on their mobile phones, flirting with random local men or discussing hangovers than helping guests. We felt sorry for the girl running the travel desk as she seems genuinely lovely but is left working with some pretty irritating reception staff.

Considering the many reviews complaining about noise I do not understand why security staff are not used to control behaviour late at night. It would be so simple to solve yet is almost deliberately neglected by their lack of any attempt to tackle this.

Personally I'm sad the vibe has changed so much here and would avoid this hostel but if you do stay remember to pack ear plugs! For such a chilled out and awesome location, the vibe at this hostel is more Ibiza than Byron Bay. This hostel has much potential but for now I'd sadly give it a miss.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank wacko_1983
Karine B, Manager at Nomads Byron Bay, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear wacko_1983,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at Nomads Byron Bay.

I apologise if your stay was not what you expected it to be and I also apologise that you were disturbed by noise during the evening.

I am not sure which response/s you are referring to when you mention to read the responses to other reviews, however I would like to clarify that we are a hostel that caters towards youth travelers. As such, we do have staff that run activities such as light house walks, pool competitions etc. and they also take people down to local bars each evening when our common areas close at 10pm. We do this to take people out of the hostel that wish to party so they don't disturb other guests that choose to sleep or have a quiet night.

We do not allow drinking or partying in the hostel after 10pm. We also have staff, including contracted security that patrol the corridors of the hostel to monitor this.

wacko_1983 once again thank you for writing a review, if you would like to provide further details please do not hesitate to contact me, I would appreciate the opportunity to get further clarification on your comments.

Travellers are raving about these Byron Bay hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Great hostel, nice and clean with great staff. The facilities are good, tv room with a selection of DVDs and plentiful areas (indoor and out) for socialising with friends and other guests, including as organised events each night by the hostel.

I ignored the reviews commenting on the hostel being noises, partly because that tends to come with the territory of hostels and knowing I'm infact a very deep sleeper. However, there's only so much noise you can sleep through, unfortunately parties in the corridor isn't one on the list. With this in mind though it wasn't always the noise of the parties that woke me up, but often the shouting of angry guests trying to sleep.

This hostel really is ideal for those looking to be out till 3am. I'd come back with friends, but only with the intention to party all night.

Stayed July 2014
Karine B, General Manager at Nomads Byron Bay, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Karen N,

Thank you for your candid review!

I am pleased that you enjoyed the hostel and staff, however I was obviously disappointed to read that you were kept awake by noise in the corridors. We certainly do not allow party's or gatherings in our corridors and we do not allow socialising in the hostel after 10pm.

We do have staff that monitor this through-out the evenings so I am honestly apologetic that on the night you stayed this incident was not stopped as soon as it started.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your travels in Australia!

Bangkok
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed in a 10 person dorm and the room was adequate and clean. The bathrooms were very nice and always clean. The location of the hostel is great, just off the high street and a few minutes walk to the beach. The only downside is it was always very noisy from other guests and music. if you want a quiet and peaceful stay i wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear Alex R,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Nomads Byron Bay and thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I apologise that you were disturbed by other guests making noise and playing music. We now have strict procedures in place to ensure that there is no socialising or partying in the hostel after 10pm.

I am pleased that you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again in future.

Sam
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I stayed here recently in a king room with an ensuite. There wasn't much room for anything apart from the bed! The ensuite was a good size however a little shabby looking. The shower leaked water all over the bathroom and the tiles was grubby. The walls were also quite thin and you could hear everything going on in the corridors and nearby rooms. The noise from outside was worse. The room was right above a drive through and there was a consistency of traffic and deliveries right through the night until the early hours of the morning. I won't be booking this hotel again and I won't be recommending it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stacelm69
Dear stacelm69,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Nomads Byron Bay.

I apologise that the condition of your room was not up to standard, I will certainly be discussing your comments the with Housekeeping and Maintenance Managers to ensure that they amend their procedures to ensure we do not receive feedback such as this in future.

Thank you again for your review and please do not hesitate to contact us if you would like to provide further details.

Brisbane
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Book the king bed room with private bathroom. Exceeded expectations for a backpacker/hostel. Clean, spacious with clean, comfy bed. There's a fridge, tv, and kettle etc. Not that we needed it but good to have. Room looks fairly new. There was a loud knock on our door one night but after that it was quiet, guess being at the very end of the corridor helps. I can imagine dorms being noisy at night though, especially close to the game/lounge room. Overall, happy with stay and will book again.

Room Tip: Get the room with private bathroom if you are willing to pay $45 per person per night. So worth it.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear chifufunie,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Nomads Byron Bay and thank you for taking the time to review your stay!

I am pleased that your expectations were exceeded and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Sam
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed there with my 3 friends for only one night (Saturday) and the noise was very loud carrying on past 12am. There was random knocking on our doors throughout the night and the wifi in the lobby wasn't working. The location is right in the middle of town and the showers were hot and strong water pressure

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Racheath,

Thank you for your review.

I apologise that you were disturbed by other guests during your stay, we do have staff monitoring the corridors of an evening to move on people making noise, so once again I apologise for any inconvenience caused to you.