“Awesome !!”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awesome !!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Awesome instructors. Highly skilled and passionate about what they do. I've seen how they operate during busy seasons and they offer a quality service throughout. With their top class coaching, equipment and personalised coach to student ratios, these guys are well worth looking up if your looking to surf in Byron Bay.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank smartsurf

Qingdao
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“Totally Awsome”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

A group 6 of us (all ages) had never surfed before, and so took the opportunity to try our luck whilst in Byron Bay. Thanks to some great reviews in Tripadvisor, we choose Black Dog Surfing, and were not disappointed. When we arrived at the store, the young lady (I'm sorry, I forgot your name) was very friendly and welcoming, alonf with Dom, our instructor for the afternoon. Dom took us through all the necessary safety advice along with some very useful tips on how to surf. He was very patient with always an eye on keeping us safe. Most of us manged several good runs, but all had a truly fantastic afternoon, just so much fun. Thanks Black Dog, hope to catch you another time.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Dale S
Melbourne
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Bloody Great!”
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Friendly, helpful and patient! Tam, Chris and Dom helped us with a great two days of surfing and were very flexible with dates etc. Highly recommended

1 Thank Slovibond
Birmingham, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“You will be able to stand up!!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I would highly recommend this company and I was absolutely amazed that they got me standing up on that board and surfing!

The staff at the shop are very friendly and the two instructors we had were not only friendly but hilarious, knowledgeable, patient and observant.

One member of staff was better that the other but I won't name names. One guy watched you and then gave further instructions on how you could improve and where you were going wrong. The other guy just chose a wave and pushed you out. He would give advice if you asked but you would need to ask.

They both made the lesson really good fun and I didn't stop laughing the whole way through.

The one big negative is that there was no professional photographer that came out with us as is stated on the website. It would have been lovely to have had that first surfing moment captured. Bit of a let down really.

There are great cafes close by to have a warm drink afterwards too as it was freezing when my lesson had finished. Maybe it would have been nice if you were offered one at the shop? Just a suggestion.

If you have never surfed before or need a bit more instruction, go and see the guys down at Black Dog Surfing, you won't regret it.

Visited June 2014
Carlisle, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“JUST DO IT!!!”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I really had the best afternoon yesterday learning to surf!

I had already paid for my lesson through Wicked travel but when I got to Byron Bay the weather wasn't great and to be honest I just couldn't be bothered to get out onto the waves!

I am so pleased the guys at Black Dog Surfing changed my mind, don't get me wrong they weren't hounding me to do it but they said that I would definitely stand up and more importantly I'd have fun :)

So 1 hour later, I was back, bikini on and towel in hand (that's all you need - they provide everything else)

The intro lesson took about 20 mins and then we were straight out "catching those waves" - practice makes perfect is what they tell you so why spend ages learning technicalities when you can be learning from your mistakes out in the sea. I stood up on the board first time, it really isn't as hard as you think.....

So to anyone unsure whether to do it, I'd say just do it... you will have a fab time. I highly recommend Black Dog Surfing in Byron Bay, the staff are so enthusiastic, groups are up to 12 people which is a really nice size and there are also hundreds of pics taken so you can remember how much fun you had!

Visited June 2014