“Fantastic! ”

Backpackers Holiday Village
Christchurch
“Fantastic! ”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Picked up from the bus stop even though it's only a block away, then provided with a little tour of the main hotspots was awesome. Loved meeting some fellow Canadians! Room was nice and clean, bathrooms were always clean, and free wifi in the lobby was awesome. Great location within walking distance to everything! It was very noisy outside as that is the common area, but quite time is strictly enforced at 10:30 so you can either go out or go to bed. Also loved the large luggage storage room so we could leave our stuff until we had to catch our bus.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Had a very good location opposite cheeky monkeys which is a good cheap backpacker bar, slightly futher away to the beach than other hostels but still under a 10 minute walk. Dorms were a good size with enough room, was a bit cold but gave us extra blankets so wasn't much of a problem. This hostel was very good sociallly as everyone would drink in the communal area before going out then at 10.30pm everyone would go out and it was quiet in the hostel so could sleep if you didnt want to go out. The only negatives was having to pay a deposit for everything but of course you would get it back. Also they would clean the showers in the morning between 8 and 10am which was really inconvenient as thats when they were the most busy. Had a great time, thanks to the Canadien boys!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I booked in for a 2 night stay in a double room with a shared bathroom - what we actually got was an entire apartment! Meant to be shared with another double room but as it was quiet it was all for us. Staff were helpful and friendly picking us up from the greyhound stop despite it being a 1 minute walk away! This meant we got a tour of byron which I recommend for a visit. Clean, functional facilities in the hostel all good.

Stayed August 2014
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

A good hostel can hire bikes in the centre easy to get to greyhound or oz experience buses! Lots of activities todo including nimbin tour! Opposite cheeky monkeys plenty todo! Rooms were alright bit cramped but cheap enough good area to chat pool aswell most people end up here after a night out!

Stayed September 2013
Quepos, Costa Rica
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Our stay here was pretty great. We got picked up from the Greyhound bus terminal by an entourage of three Canadians. Being from Canada ourselves of course we loved the warm welcome! They took us on a quick tour and around before dropping us off and gave us some great tips to the area. Now for the hostel itself here are the Pros and cons:

Pros:
-Beer Pong every night (If you're not going out, don't expect to sleep till after 10:30)
-toilets and showers clean with plenty of each
-Private rooms are spacious with flatscreen t.v and foxtel
-Free surfboards, bodyboards, and bikes and bball court in courtyard
-Great location and very easy to walk everywhere

Cons:
-Comunal area is outdoors so can be quite chilly in winter
-Wifi although free is ONLY available in the lobby and only during office hours
-Deposit needed for everything even dishes and cutlery and you must keep these in your room or they may be stolen by other guests (pretty inconvenient but at same time does keep things clean)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
west sussex
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here it was easily the best hostel I stayed in while doing the east coast. I booked it all through a travel operator so didn't have a choice and was pleasantly surprised when I arrived. It was clean and staff were friendly plus free wifi and bike rentals. I was alone and almost at the end of my trip and loved how chilled out it was with loads of hostel BBQ's and nights out. Best location, l would stay again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I decided to stay at Holiday Village after it was strongly recommended by friends; I'm so glad they did.

This has been one of, if not my favorite place to stay in over 6 months of travelling. The rooms, kitchen, and bathrooms are clean making it a very pleasant place to stay. The owners and staff are friendly, going out of their way to help you and offer advice when requested.

But I'd have to say that my favorite thing about the hostel is the atmosphere. In the centre of the communal area are a series of benches and tables where you'll always find someone eating a meal or having a few drinks. It makes it so easy to make new friends and join in on someone else's plans if you're at a loose end of what to do that night. But at the same time, the hostel is considerate of those that are looking for an early night, so the communal area closes at 10:30. But as luck would have it, the main bar and club is directly across the road, so you haven't got to go far to carry on partying!

So just like the friends who told me about Holiday Village in the first place, I can't recommend it enough. It's great value, clean, perfectly located and you get free board and bike hire. When I go back to Byron, I wouldn't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo