The Arts Factory Backpackers Lodge
Tallow Beach Motel(Suffolk Park)(Great Value!)
US$121
  • Pool
Hibiscus Motel(Byron Bay)(Great Value!)
US$175
US$153
US$389
US$343
Great 4.5/5
Wollongbar Motel(Byron Bay)(Great Value!)
US$147
US$142
Priceline
Very Good 4/5
Bay Motel(Byron Bay)(Great Value!)
US$213
US$198
  • Beachfront
BreakFree Eco Beach(Byron Bay)(Great Value!)
US$153
Hotels.com
Cavvanbah(Byron Bay)
Hotels.com
Great 4.5/5
No availability for your dates from our partners
Very Good 4/5
All reviewstalent showbanana pancakesshuttle buscool placecafe on sitebush walkgreat atmospherelaid backdorm roombathrooms were cleanwater dragonsthe east coastbush turkeysbunk bedsenjoyed my staystayed here for nightsmin walk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I had the best time here , met some truly wonderful, down to earth people.
Great food from the cafe, good staff. Dorms were quite good and clean. Same with the bathrooms. Shame about the lack of privacy though when on the loo.
I wouldn't recommend the teepee as it got very cold in the night and were tons of Mosquitos!
Although it is quite cool to stay there.
I recommend this hostel to anyone ! Fab week and nimbin was cool too.
Make sure you say yes to.. Talent show.. Beach party and drumming in the week.
I would say go if you are young and into hippy culture.
Great week thanks guys

Room Tip: Stay in dorms not teepee or tent..
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
ArtsFactoryByronBay, Manager at The Arts Factory Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Dear Jane,

Thank you for your kind words, it is really awesome to hear you say t was your best week in Oz!
Happy travels and best wishes from the Arts Factory team!

Reviewed 7 May 2013

I planned my trip with the help of a backpackers agency, so when I booked this hostel, I wasn't quite aware of the true nature of it. Upon my arrival, I was shocked to see the grounds. It is definitely a place for people that want to disappear from society and really enjoy nature. The building/room I was in wasn't the cleanest I've seen, but neither was the whole place. I'm pretty sure it was built by hippies and nothing has changed since then. The bathroom was full of bugs and I had to wear insect repellent the entire time I was there to avoid being eaten alive by mosquitoes. I ate breakfast at the hostel, which was delicious, but not quite worth the money I paid for it. The hostel is not located in the town, so you either have to walk (approx. 15-20 minutes) or take the shuttle van, which doesn't run on a regular basis. The people were all really friendly, but this isn't somewhere I would choose to stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank kward09
artsfactory_13, Manager at The Arts Factory Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2013

Thanks for your revew on TripAdvisor Kward. The Arts Factory is not for everyone, and if you stay when the mosquitos are present, it can detract from the experience. We are located out of town on 5 acres of sub tropical rainforest, which some peoplpe really enjoy the escape and some don't. We were not built by hippies, but have had valuable input and assistance from many guests of our 20 year life span, so the place can be eccelctic in the feel and atmosphere. I assure we do clean the property regulalry, kitchens twice a day, with checks in between, and all bathrooms 3 times a day. In peak times like April, we can no sooner clean than it is a mess again, but the property is never unhygenic! One of the things the Arts Factory tried to do is offer an authentice Byron Bay experience, which is alternative and creative! Enjoy your travels, and maybe if you are in byron Bay again, try our other Nomads property, Nomads Byron Bay, which is a new falshpackers in the centre of town. Happy travels!

Reviewed 6 May 2013

Very basic accommodation. It is located in a wetland area, I was in a canvas structure on an island. It was dirty and there was no security (except a small lock on the zipper entrance). There was mould on the canvas. (See the pictures.) It was noisy at night. No free WIFI and washing machines were $4 for wash and $4 to dry.

It is located 15 min walk from town center.

If you want to enjoy Byron Bay do not stay here.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank William D

Dear KWard,

Thanks for your comments. The Arts Factory is not for everyone, and we sometimes have a problem with mosquitos in the summer, I guess that is offset by the natural environment. I admit we do try to have a funky and hippy typw of vibe, but interestingly enough the hostel wasn't actually build by hippy's, although many of our guests have contibuted to making and buidling the property, which makes it kind of eccelctic. I hope your travels are going well! Best wishes from the Arts Factory team!

Reviewed 29 April 2013

A place for young people who likes party and dont care too much about the noise. It's quite ok compared to other hostels I stayed in Australia, it's reasonably clean but the tent I stayed didnt look much like with what I saw in the website by the time of booking. It's cheaper to eat in the city than in there too. There's a lake running through the middle of the hostel and it was quite smelly and there are lots of turkeys around, quiet noisy and smelly too but the advantage is that you can walk to the city. Theres a pub in there where you have better options to eat and the beer is quiet cheap.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your comments, we do have a lot of turkey's, probably not all birds either! The lake can be smelly because of the tea tree's, at a certain time of year they make the water alkaline, which gives off an unpleasant odour. It is tidal too. It sounds like you didn't think we were too bad, so we hope to see you again sometime, we do offer lots of free actvities to offset the walk to town, Try our drumming workshop, reiki, massage, yoga or even volunteering in theeco garden!

Reviewed 27 April 2013

I stayed here in a camper van and used everything there. Kitchen clean, bathroom clean, showers abit rubbish. $6 meal were vile but what to expect for that price. Great location. Friendly staff. Would stay a

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Les, thanks for your great comments. I will tell the cafe that their meals are vile, and see if they lift their game! Happy travels! From the Arts Factory crew