“a backpackers with character”

Aquarius Backpackers Motel
Reviewed 9 June 2010

Clean rooms. Good kitchen. Free parking. Close to beach.
Friendly staff.
Bar was lots of fun. Karaoke and live music. Cheap drinks.
Pool was clean. Travel desk was super helpful. Cafe made best rolls!
A bit more money than some other places but totally worth it!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank laursjenn

Reviewed 16 April 2010

Well. To cut a long story as short as possible: this is a great place for backpackers who love to party, the athmosphere is great. But at night it's a noisy place. So if you need rest, it could be not the best place to stay.
They've got a enormous kitchen, nice and clean, and a big fridge. They have got activities every evening (poker, karaoke, trivia, limbo) and free dinner if you buy a drink (however the dinner is not really much and it's average quality).
There's a large community room where you always can meet people and there's a nice pool.
The rooms could be a bit more clean, but it's OK. Every room has got it's own bathroom! Thats a big plus.
And my personal experience: when I was there, I became ill (I thought I had a huge hangover or so), and after 2 days the manager came to my room that I really had to go to visit a doctor. So he brought me to the hospital, and after a week he brought all my bagage to the hospital where I was brought to, 70km from byron bay! That's service!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank Dutch89
Reviewed 11 February 2010

I booked a 2 night stay here after usiing thsi accomodation and few years ago and being very pleased. When we arrived were were very impressed with the free parking and the beautifully refurbished bar / pool area and kitchen. There was even a walk in fridge. However when we checked in we were deakt iwth by the rudest lady ever. When we got to our room F5 we were very dissapointed, there were 3 dead cockroaches on our stairs which remianed there for the 3 days that we were. The room was Very dirty and only had a stand up fan for air. We could not use this though as it was thick with dust and dirt. The curtains were all falling down and were badly stained as were the walls. Rather than ruin our trip we just got on with it and spent as little time as possible in our room. The Bathroom was even worse it was absolutly filthy and was falling apart. I hope that the downstairs public areas are teh tart of a refurb project as this place was foul! I would never stay here again unless the rooms were cleaned and made over. We did not expect anything plush or luxiuorous but basic standards of cleanliness and hygiene were ignored. They advertise free dinner with all accomodation bookings too but I would not book on thsi basis as the food looked foul we gaveour vouchers away and eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DanielleWales9
Reviewed 10 February 2010

I really liked this hostel. It was clean, centrally located, and not too noisy. Free pickup form the bus drop off so you don't have to haul your pack through town if you don't want to. You got a free dinner with a drink purchase when you stayed here, and it was actually a decent meal! Also, the guys in the bar were great and provided a fun atmosphere, but if you wanted a low-key night the large and airy dorms had balconies that you could hang out on. I would definitely go back here again!

The only downside to staying here was that they cranked the prices up around the holidays and we got stuck paying $40/night for a dorm.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank biogirl
Reviewed 24 December 2009

Nice Hostel , many nice and fun people were staying at this hostel . Free dinner in the evening. Loved it there .We had a lot of fun at this place .They also had a big kitchen so that everybody could get space . cheers

Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank simoja
Reviewed 20 September 2009

I came here after staying at the absolutely horrific Main Beach Backpackers. Aquarius is quite the opposite: It's clean, spacious and has genuinely friendly staff who like helping you out. Great place to meet people as well. It's close to the beach. It's not a hardcore party place, which I like. I had a very enjoyable time here.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank Travelledalot25
Reviewed 11 April 2009

i stayed there for 4 nights, and didnt face any problems! the kitchen facility is very very good & clean & enough for the backpackers. I didn't think the staffs are rude. they were okay.

and the location is nice too, near to the beach, convenience store, & to the Jonson Street (shops, eating).

love it!