Cape Byron YHA
Hibiscus Motel(Byron Bay)(Great Value!)
US$175
US$151
US$104
Priceline
The Lord Byron(Byron Bay)(Great Value!)
US$148
US$388
US$338
Agoda.com
Azabu Boutique Accommodation Byron Bay(Skinners Shoot)(Great Value!)
US$124
US$107
Agoda.com
The Byron at Byron Resort & Spa(Suffolk Park)(Great Value!)
US$422
US$242
Beach Suites(Byron Bay)
US$345
US$333
Hotwire.com
Byron Quarter Holiday Apartments(Byron Bay)(Great Value!)
US$490
US$240
Hotwire.com
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfree walking tourlighthouse tourthe kitchenfree wifibody boardsdolphins and turtlespizza nightbed female dormhostel offersdifferent activitiesgreat atmosphereplace to staylight housegreyhound busnice poolcommon roombig balcony
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I stayed at Cape Byron for 2 nights in October. There didn't seem to be a great choice of budget accomodation in town, so I ended up at the YHA, which I thought would be the safe choice. Oh how I was mistaken.

There seemed to be a number of young travellers who were working at the hostel who sat around all afternoon chatting, smoking and playing loud music. It was actually quite intimidating to have to walk over them to get to the rooms.

My room mates were fine, however. I stayed in a 5 bed female dorm and there were only 2 other girls staying at the time, both of whom were very friendly.

The bathrooms were average and the kitchen although I didn't use it, looked fine. I was put off by the hostel requesting that you collect your cooking utensils from reception and return at the end of your stay. There are many cheap eats in Byron Bay, including Domino's Pizza, which has offers on certain nights, $5 for a large pizza - how can you go wrong?

Location is good though, as was the free pick up and drop off at the Greyhound station.

Room Tip: If there are any rooms that do not face the central pool area, try and get one of those!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We booked a private room which had a double bed and single bed. There was no aircon and with the temperatures around 30degrees the nights were far too hot, there was a fan and windows to keep open but this meant noise and lead to almost unbearable sleeping conditions. The room was clean and the bathrooms clean but there were only 3 showers in the female bathrooms for the whole of our second floor and this was a large hostel. This was the most expensive hostel we booked during our 5 weeks along the east coast and for this reason it didn't seem good value for money at all.
The location was good, 5 minutes walk to a really cheap Aldi supermarket and 10 minutes to the beach.The kitchens were clean and large fridge space.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 November 2012

We have been in many hostels before, but we found this YHA was definitely overpriced for what you get: we booked the only double room with private bathroom they have and paid what you normally pay for a 3-to-4-stars hotel.
Room was small and very noisy, on grond floor, with very old furnishings and a small bed. Bathroom was ok (with a weird kitchen sink...).
Kitchen is very small and there is not enough space for all people.
You can get free parking just under the hostel with direct access (please clean those stairs though!!! It's been at least 3 years since they washed them last time!!)

Our rating would have been better if the price was less than half of what we actually paid.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I stayed one night at Cape Byron YHA. I find this hostel really average. It is not as good as other YHAs, which does not impede the price to remain the same. Really too expensive for what you get.

The people working there are so friendly, this is one of the main assest of Cape Byron YHA. They are really helpful and smiling people.

My room was a 5-shared female dormitory. The room was of good size, you have enough space to move. The beds are quite good, with a reading light. But no lockers in the rooms.

The bathrooms are the main negative point of the hostel; in the morning or in the evening they are not clean at all! If you're in the shower on the right, you will have dirty water coming from other showers on your feet!

The swimming pool outside is really nice.

I didn't use the kitchen but it looked okay.

The hostel is well located, bars, cafés, beaches, shops are easily accessible.

You can hire bikes for free which is handy if you want to go to the lighthouse for example. You can also hire bodyboards and book many activities at reception (surfing lessons, kayac, horse riding, tour to Nimbin...)

This is not a party hostel and you will enjoy quiet nights (which can be good!). However, I thought it was really weird to have an old lady in my room! I mean, all the people staying at Cape Byron are not young people. It's okay if you're traveling with friends, but I wouldn't like to experience it alone.

Nevertheless, a hostel is only a place to sleep as you spend all your time at the beach or in Byron Bay. It is okay for short stays.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2012

It depends what you're after with this hostel. Make sure you check which YHA to start with, as there are two in Byron Bay.

I really enjoyed our stay here, the owners were so welcoming and friendly, it has a real home from home feel. We had a 6 bed room but had it to ourselves (this kept happening in June, must have been a quiet spell!) I agree the lack of lockers isn't ideal, but I padlock my valuable inside my big bag and the rest come out with me, so I normally feel contented with that. The room itself was ok, we had a double bed upstairs with 2 bunks in a room below us, was like a private, quite cute how they've converted it.

The kitchen wasn't huge but fine for what we needed and clean- I can imagine in summer when it's fully booked it would get really busy, but we had no issues. other guests wre so friendly here, all chatting over breakfast, was really nice :)
The bathrooms I thought were fine, only thing I personally find annoying is having to take my own towel to dry my hands after washing them every time, but this is the same in most OZ hostels to be fair. I'll agree though, why choose to clean them at the busiest times of day? I had to dodge the cleaner everytime I wanted the bathrooms or to shower, bit tedious.

Social areas were cool- lots of useful info and free stuff to rent, plus a movie room which was cosy (it was so cold at night in June, we all huddled in here because of the heating, our bedroom was freezing)

I've stayed in Byron before at Nomads, and I'd definately come back to Cape Byron instead. Great place for a couple or individual who wants a smaller more homely environment- Nomads if you're on you're wanting a 24hr party. Didn't sleep a wink when we spent 4 nights there 2 years back, utter mayhem!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple