“Mixed review”
Review of Cape Byron YHA

Cape Byron YHA
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

This wasn't like any other yha we have stayed in. It was a lot smaller and more dingey hostel like. It was clean and the room was spacious with a TV that had big selection of channels. Wasn't YHA's fault but the noise from fellow stayers were very loud and inconsiderate which was not stopped or spoken about at any point. The lady on reception was lovely but completely clueless about surfing trip and told us completely wrong information and prices!!!!! It was only that a colleague there was to correct her on everything!!! The beach is 4 minute walk away and the hostel is adjoining to a road that has several eateries in. Fine for the money but not quite normal YHA standard.

Stayed: May 2014
BobKay2481, Public Relations Manager at Cape Byron YHA, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for the Review Annie.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and the double room was to your liking. Haha it sounds like you met Rebecca who is new to our staff and works over the weekend. She is still learning about somethings so sorry if there was any confusion with your surf lesson.

I find it frustrating to see a review where noise was a factor as we want people to have a good time but we also want people to have a good sleep. We have quiet time from 11pm and the night manager patrols after this time I'm very sorry that you were kept awake. I wish you could have let management know, sometimes we have trouble with noisy guests over the weekend which I'm guessing is when you were here.

Anyway we would love you to come back another time so we could improve on your stay, and we appreciate your review. Please feel free to email us if you have any suggestions as to how we could improve your stay next time byronyha@nrg.com.au

Also I know its a bit picky but it is only 2 mins to the beach not 4 you must have took the long way ;) haha

Thanks again from the team at CBYHA

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Good location! Near the beach and the city. The people who work there are very Nice and they all know your name. They Will help you to book things. The hostel is clean and a great place to stay! A good place to mee other travellers, and hang out with them

• Stayed: April 2014

Thank you for the Review!!!

We are glad that you liked the hostel, location and staff. We are also happy that you noticed we make an effort to get to know everybody that is here to stay with us! We hope you come back sometime again!

Thanks again!

Regards from the CBYHA team!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stuff is really welcoming and helpful. I felt good with them. I did not like that visitors drink almost every night and kept some noice around. Swimming pool is nice and kitchen ok. I could stay there again.

Room Tip: If you want silence, ask for a room behind.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
BobKay2481, Public Relations Manager at Cape Byron YHA, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Hello Aapo!!

We really appreciate your review thank you for coming to stay with us. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be helpful you certainly enjoyed yourself with all the activities you were doing beach running yoga etc good on you!!

We know some nights the hostel can be loud even with the 11pm curfew but most of the time its not too bad. I expect you were woken up during the night which means so was our night manager so apologies for that. Anyways safe travels mate see you next time!!!

Joel and the Team at CBYHA

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I had a fabulous time at Cape Byron YHA. I first visited the hostel for 3 nights and had a great time. I had such a great time on my second trip to Byron Bay I decided to stay with them for 5 nights and my second stay was even better! The Hostel is clean and located close to the beach for a quick jump into the ocean! They have free wifi, clean rooms, and a very good atmosphere. The staff and owner of the hostel are super welcoming and they offer up great ideas on what to do day to day, from the hostels free bike rentals and renting body boards there is always something to do. They also offer a free walking Tour up to the light house which is a must do! The hostel is in a very central location close to shops, and bars. I can't wait for my next trip to Byron Bay, I am for sure going to stay here again! I LOVE IT!

Room Tip: The 5 share rooms are good, but even the 10 share are just as good!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
BobKay2481, Public Relations Manager at Cape Byron YHA, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Thank you Girls!!

It is always so nice to get reviews like this and am so glad you both had such a good stay and got to enjoy Blues Fest and everything Byron has to offer! Both of your reviews could be used to advertise the hostel as they sum up all the positives in one!

Anyone who would like to know what we are about can just read them and understand what we do and who we are.

Todd will now be doing the walking tour twice a week due to its success and we also have lots of other activities we are working on.

Anyway thanks again Ladies safe travels and see you both next time!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I have now stayed at Cape Bryon YHA twice, and have loved each stay. My first stay was only three nights, and that was enough to fall in love the with town, but also learn so much more about the place from the AMAZING staff at the hostel. My friend and I have been traveling around Australia for two months and have stayed in MANY hostels. This is definitely top at our list of recommendations. The staff and the owner are so welcoming, and have a really great knowledge and love for the area, always offering up things to do, and places to see. Their friendly nature helps you to feel safe and happy. The hostel itself offers great perks as well, including the pool in the courtyard of the hostel, free rental of bikes AND body boards as well as a free walking tour on Tuesdays given by the owner himself, where you are GARUNTEED to see some great wildlife! As for location, its perfect! You're only a two minute walk to the beach, and a five minute walk to the bars and shops! The hostel is clean and quiet when need be. It also offers free wifi, which can be hard to come by. Hands down the place to stay in Byron Bay.

We can't wait for our next visit back to Byron where we will be sure to stay here again!

Room Tip: The 5 shares are great, but our 10 share was just as good!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you Girls!!

Anyway thanks again Ladies safe travels and see you both next time!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Stayed here 3 nights. Central location, nice pool, lovely TV area to relax. Free Wifi although sometimes the signal wasn't great. Cafe next door. Room nice. Light by every bed which was the only hostel i'd stayed in that had this. Reception deserve a special mention. There was a mix up with the pick up for my surf lesson. I was quite upset as I had no spare days to rearrange it but the male receptionist (I think he might have been the manager) sorted it out. I never had a chance to thank him personally but he went out of his way to help me. Thank you.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Thank you Melanie!

We are glad you had such a great stay and appreciated the small things. Wifi is up and down but generally works well and we are glad to be able to offer it for free.

I will pass on your thanks to Todd or Bob for sorting out your surf lesson as well... Thank you :)

Thanks for the Review and safe travels!

See you next time

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I spent 4 nights here over Easter/Bluesfest weekend and it was pretty good. Free WiFi, fairly clean, large pool, BYO booze, decent kitchen etc but the staff were great, especially Joel. He really made the effort with everyone and was really enthusiastic about everything! The kitchen was a bit of a bombsite but Joel and another guy spent a couple of hours cleaning it which made a massive difference. Only two plug sockets and one loud fan for a room of 5 which is a bit annoying. Probably would stay here again when it's not over Easter weekend so it's not mad busy and not 56 dollars a night!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Hey Pete!

Thank you for the Review! Haha appreciate the call out on the kitchen hard job!! I'd like to thank Chris for helping me to improve the standard up there.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and all the things on offer. We love having free Wifi, bikes etc and its always nice when people appreciate it!

We would love to have you back another time and anytime other than Easter and Christmas/New Years the rates are alot more reasonable! Thanks for the review again and safe travels see you next time!!

Kind Regards