“Deposit paid in advance for honeymoon and booking cancelled one week before travel....”
Review of Rae's on Wategos

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Byron Bay
Rae's on Wategos
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in Byron Bay
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I had both phone and email confirmation of my booking for my honeymoon only to receive a call from the manager a week before travel to advise that the two different people I spoke to who confirmed my booking and took my deposit were only new and made a mistake.... I found this extremely frustrating and very rude considering that one of the two people who confirmed my booking worked as the reservations manager....
Very disappointing and a big let down considering all the travel arrangments (flights & hire car) had already been paid for and was left with no accomodation...

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
12 Thank islandhopperau

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Australia
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Never in my life have I ever felt so swindled and I have had my fair share of disappointments. This mob will charge you more money per night than a suite at the peninsula in Hong Kong will set you back and there hasn't been a significant refurbishment for over 15 years.
*No one to greet you at check-in
*no one to carry your bags up the steps
*dark & dingy room
*uncomforatble mattress
*a pint-sized balcony with leg room (comparable to that you would find in an economy class seat of a 747).
To be fair, you can see how long ago this would have had a certain charm at its peak. It is attractive from the exterior, the furnsihings you can tell would have been high end in their day & there would have been limited other options in this part of Byron - but the presentation is absolutely inexcusable and totally unpalatable for people paying the ridiculous rates they charge.
I look forward to never setting foot in this 'clip joint' again.

Room Tip: I guess if you were held at 'gun-point' you would have to go with a penthouse but at these r...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank gunsy
sydney
Reviewed 7 October 2012

ok so byron bay is the cheapest of places, so although the price tag was high, we were not getting too carried away. unfortunately the place was even less than the low expectations we had set for it, as far as value for money goes. if it wasn't for the truly great food and well matched wine, we would have skipped this place in a hearbeat. but due to the popularity of byron bay we had to book this place early just to guarntee ourselves a room for the night, but overall we were left dissapointed. it might have been one of the best in its day but it needs to be revamped to bring it up to date.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jet_set_girl_sydney
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 17 September 2012 via mobile

I had the absolute pleasure of staying at Rae's recently. Is been meaning to 'experience' the Rae's experience that friends and colleagues had shared with me over the years and I finally got around to doing it. I've never warned to staff like I have at Rae's, they're all extremely passionate about making your experience at Rae's a positive one and there is no stone left unturned. The restaurant is affordable and the massage and facial is the absolute best I've ever experienced. The Spa staff are trained by Marionne (who is world renowned for her facials) and aside from being a spa goddess she exudes wholesome goodness, a rare find these days. I loved my experience so much my daughter and I went back a couple of weeks later. And, I intend making it a regular pit stop. I love Rae's.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Kim B
Reviewed 21 July 2012

To start off. I have travelled many parts of Australia and also Europe and asia. Never have I come across such an overpriced and ridiculous establishment. Sure enough it would be acceptable if we had a decent stay, but I was disappointed . The only thing I can say, is the food was absolutely sensational. They are doing some really top of the end stuff in that kitchen.
Staying in the hotel, it was like they were on a budget and everything was half done. Like the cleanliness of the bathroom and overall efforts to satisfy customers. We were shocked to be welcomed by a lady at the reception who simply acted as of we were less of a person. Like hello? We are the guests. She was impollite and mean. Like she was frustrated with our presence. We were then greeted by a young boy dressrd in chef uniform who kindly offered to take our luggage to our rooms. We read the drinks menu and decided to take trip into town to the cellars in town to save money. We then phoned reception to get some glasses and maybe some snacks or nibbles. There was a problem with that, they did not have any snacks or nuts or anything g to offer us. Ok. Well can we please have 2 glasses for our room. She says yes I'll be up straight away. 25 minutes passed . No glasses . Really?
Anyway. In my opinion don't bother staying in the hotel, eat for dinner and you will find yourself in an amazingly pleasurable state with the delectable menu.
Thanks but I'd rather keep my hard earned dollars.

• Stayed June 2012
8 Thank Skysthelimit420
Cockermouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2012

An amazing dinner at rae's restaurant looking over moonlit beach. A very romantic location, excellent food and service all ending with a marriage proposal, fitting ending to a great evening at Rae's

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank wellens7
Whitfield, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Spent three fantastic days at Raes after vintage unbelievable way to unwind, great food, great wine and great service can't wait to return.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple