“Best Byron has to offer”
Review of Rae's on Wategos

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Byron Bay
Rae's on Wategos
Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Byron Bay
Reviewed 30 April 2013

Fell in love with this place instantly. Amazed I'd never ventured there before. Cocktails were delicious, service was authentic, friendly and detailed. For a small crew you could tell they loved the place and took great pride in everything. The banquet was exquisite and perfectly timed between drinks. Would live at Raes if I could. A perfect escape from the hustle of the bay.

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed 27 April 2013

I am a big fan of small over large, boutique over big so when I can, I try and stay at smaller more personal hotels. Now Rae's is an institution. It's been 'the' place to stay in Byron forever and it is like staying in someones rambling beach house complete with private pool and big baths.It's not cheap.

The vibe is cool and understated. The location can't be beat and if you are a long board surfer padding down 20 metres to the beach every morning to a perfect wave is just incredible. The restaurant is high quality and I had the best curry I have ever had outside India here.

Now for the bad news: Raes is getting a wee bit shabby. Our suite was nice, but the door didnt shut, the bar fridge only worked intermittently and we noticed the bath wasnt completely clean.Service was inattentive. There was hardly anyone staying there so we kind of got the feeling that the 'A' team werent on and that they werent really trying.And that is a shame.

My husband and I had a massage at the lovely spa which was not the worst nor the best massage I have ever had.

Dinner was included in our package and the food was awesome as was the smiling service. Unfortunately, couldn't say the same for breakfast. We walked in to an empty restaurant except for another couple (tables still piled up from the night before blocking the views and a ladder up with some work going on). Our greeting from the woman (wait help?) holding a mop was "Are you the other room here for breakfast?" We answered yes and were popped into a side booth (no view). We were then simply bought out the breakfast, not asked what we wanted, coffee just popped on the table (would have been nice to have a proper barista coffee or what about tea?). Then we saw absolutely no one after that.

We heard the staff talking about the fact that Rae's is on the market. Mmmm- I look forward to seeing what the new owners do.

Room Tip: Go for an upstairs suite.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank imaginelle
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Wategos has been a favourite beach for many years - magic position, crystal clear warm water. Raes was a place my husband and I always wanted to try. From the outside it looked like just the sort of small, boutique hotel that we love. Reading tripadvisor reviews though, we were wary. Not all were positive.
Despite this, we booked a weekend and were not disappointed. We stayed in the Moroccan Suite - roomy, fabulous furniture, beach views. Service was sunny and attentive. The massage in the spa was excellent and the food at Fish Cafe delicious. For us, everything about this place was faultless. I'm glad we trusted our instincts.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2013

There is something special about staying in a small yet luxurious boutique hotel with a front lawn that flows directly onto the beach. If you want to hide Rae’s is the place to go. If you want quality and style Rae’s would be one of the best hotels in Australia to experience a private getaway and yet you give up nothing in the way of luxury, space and style. When you are close to Byron Bay, please don’t miss this hotel.
A big thanks to Lizzie. She delivers your breakfast every morning her smiling face and easy nature. A nice way to start the day in this beautiful place.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KenDesa
Reviewed 24 November 2012

Stunning hotel & the food divine. . The manager Marion was lovely. Perfect location right on the beach. We stayed in the Penthouse, so much space & eclectic furnishings from all around the world. Beautiful fresh breakfasts on the verandah every morning & the restaurant was to die for.

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank BelindaBrooksby
Reviewed 15 November 2012

After dinning at the wonderful Fish Cafe many times, we decided to stay at Rae's for our wedding anniversary in the Penthouse Suite Mirabella which was absolutely stunning. We felt like we were cocooned in luxury and beauty. I even managed to get my husband to join me in the spa for the best massage we have ever had. Highly recommended for a special occasion. Love it.

Room Tip: Mirabella Penthouse is stunning!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rachel Q
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I had both phone and email confirmation of my booking for my honeymoon only to receive a call from the manager a week before travel to advise that the two different people I spoke to who confirmed my booking and took my deposit were only new and made a mistake.... I found this extremely frustrating and very rude considering that one of the two people who confirmed my booking worked as the reservations manager....
Very disappointing and a big let down considering all the travel arrangments (flights & hire car) had already been paid for and was left with no accomodation...

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple