“Loved it!”

Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Byron Bay
Ottawa, Canada
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 29 March 2008

This is a small, 20-unit hotel. Room very spacious, clean, comfortable. AC good. Location wonderful, very close to beach and walking distance to everything. Staff wonderful. My only complaint was that the internet was a bit pricy. Also, I did get some spider bites one night in bed. I don't really blame the hotel as I'm sure spiders can get in anywhere they wish. Staff were very sympathetic and helpful in any case. Fancy coffee machine and muffins in the morning. Would not hesitate to return!

• Liked — Great space and location
  • Disliked — Internet expensive
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank RexT
Waves_Resorts, Marketing Manager at Waves Byron Bay, responded to this review, 22 April 2008
Dear RexT,

We're very pleased to hear that you loved your stay at Waves Byron Bay. It is great to hear your positive feedback. I'm will also pass your comments onto the staff at Waves.

I hope you come back to visit Waves soon - keep an eye out for our email newsletter with details of special offers for our loyal subscribers.

The team at Waves Resorts.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Sierra Vista
Reviewed 26 March 2008

My stay at Waves in Byron Bay was incredible. The convenience of being so close to the beach and surrounding night life was definitely a highlight of my stay. The Waves Management and staff were very friendly and assured all my needs were met. I highly recommend waves to anyone who also would like a plesant experience with courteous help and support.... Holly, thanks for a wonderful stay and the laughs!!!

Mike...

• Liked — The staff...
  • Disliked — I was satisfied with my stay...
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank SierraVistaMike
Dear SierraVistaMike,

I'm so pleased to hear that you loved everything about your stay at Waves. I'll certainly be passing on your kind words to Holly, our Manager. We definitely agree that Waves is in a great location and since the refurbishment late last year it offers guests great rmodern facilities as well. Please come back and visit us again soon.

The team at Waves Resorts
NSW
Reviewed 6 February 2008

Air conditioning failed on really hot night, water poored out of the unit. Tried to contact reception but not manned during the night. No book in room for emergency contact.
Spoke to reception early the next morning just before we checked out. They wanted to come and fix it straight away. I said we were just ready to go and they would need to wait about 5 minutes. They weren't happy. Went to reception to pay up, they didn't believe we had a problem and said thet we probably left the door open, A/C wouldn't work properly. When they did find out that there was a problem, no apologies actually they didn't give a dam. Won't be going back or recommending the place.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gregr96
Dear gregr96,

I was disappointed to read that you had issues with the air-conditioning unit in your room during your stay. I have spoken to the onsite Manager about your review and they have advised that they did their best to assist and even offered you a reduction in room rate on check out in an attempt to compensate you for the disruption to your stay.

Of course we do not like to hear that guests did not enjoy their stay so I would like to apologise for that and I hope that you will consider staying with us again another time.

For all potential and future guests we would like to note that there is a compendium in each room that contains after hours numbers that can be used for emergencies or maintenance issues. A call to the after hours number will ensure that issues are dealt with promptly.

The team at Waves Resorts
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 January 2006

This hotel, as the other reviewers pointed out, is overpriced. But I too, waited too long to book, and this is what I got.

The larger rooms are much better. The smaller rooms are closer to a Motel 6 in the states; a small double bed in a tiny space. The do have nice large bathrooms but unfortunately have a center drain in the middle of the floor that invites... bugs in at night. I found one crawling in my make up case. He quickly ran off back down the drain.

The motel is run by a couple. The husband is an excellent host who helped us with every problem we had arise. His wife needs to find another line of employment. The husband left part way through our stay and thats when our troubles began.

Our air conditioning was not working. She was brisk in her manner and clearly annoyed that we were asking for help with it. She also clearly indicated in a rude manner that it must be that we just didn't know how to operate it... eventhough we operated it the first 3 nights we were there with no problems.

The airconditioning needed to be "restarted" (whatever that means) at least two times during our stay in order for it to work.

We had a fax come in. She was rude and annoyed that she had to bring it to us at all. Later, because the fax was too dark, we had it resent.
When we inquired about it at the desk, she told us no fax had come. We called our friends. They said they sent the fax. We had them send it a third time. Again, the hostess claimed not to receive it. Draw your own conclusions there.

Finally, we asked if we could have a later check out because my daughter needed to take a nap. She not only refused (which was her perogrative) but was rude about it. She questioned us repeatedly about how could we not have made alternate plans. We should've booked another hotel for the day.

These are just the highlights.

I couldn't leave this hotel fast enough.

• Stayed December 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dear A TripAdvisor Member,

Please be advised that Waves Byron Bay has changed substantially since your visit. It has recently been refurbished and a new management team is in place. We hope you will come and stay with us again soon.

Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Reviewed 22 December 2005

Ok, so we were stupid----we didn't know it was the beginning of "Schoolies" week and so arrived in Byron Bay without a reservation. As a result it was difficult to find an accommodation, and when the front desk at Waves told us they had one room left----at AUS$450----we took it anyway. I believe this is their top-of-the-line room.

This was a nice enough room, but realistically worth about half the price we paid. It was very large. It had a really nice bath. It had a big balcony that was very sparsely furnished, and no views whatsoever.

Waves Hotel has no restaurants or anything, but that is not really a problem since its in-town location is convenient.

I really have no complaints about this place, it's just that it wasn't worth the money. But bear in mind that because of circumstances we had to pay a premium; their more normal rooms may have more normal prices!

3 Thank cessnapilot
Dear cessnapilot,

I agree that Schoolies Week was an unfortunate time for you to visit Byron Bay as most accommodation is booked 12 months in advance (at least) and high season rates are quoted. We hope you will choose to stay with us again, perhaps at a different time of year.

Waves Byron Bay has changed substantially since your visit. It has recently been refurbished and a new management team is in place. I think you would be pleasantly surprised if you decide to stay again in the future. We'd love to welcome you back.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 June 2005

Our room was $400 a night with breakfast included. Choice is limited to bacon and eggs only - no bread, plus a fruit salad. It is available for one hour only, between 7am and 8 am. Whoever made it cant cook.

Breakfast doesn't come with coffee, unless you buy the ground coffee in the mini bar or settle for the usual motel instant. Either way, you will need to get milk from reception.

• Stayed March 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2005

Having just spent 2 nights in Byron Bay, NSW, I thought a couple of lines in Tripadvisor would be carthartic. Contrary to expectations, I found Byron Bay far more of a young hip party town than Hippy retreat with the "oldies" being considerably outnumbered by the young. As a youngish looking (well I would say that wouldn't I)? 41 year old London male, I felt as if I did'nt really fit in as I was cought between the two extremes. As for accommadation, it is obvious that supply & demand now account for the very high hotel/motel charges being asked. I stayed at Waves "MOTEL", in Lawson Street at $215.00 per night. Too much for too little in my view. Also BEWARE, I was told washing was at $10.00 per load BUT I was charged $15.00 per load. Now you may say $5.00 ($10.00 auctually paid for two loads, un-folded) extra is irrlevant when compared to the cost of the room, and you would be right. However, that, for me is not the point. I was told by the Manageress that SHE had made a mistake but I still had to pay regardless, end of story! In my business, this type of "poor business practice", would simply not be tolerated. What ever benefit Waves have gained by the extra $10.00 they have surely lost in the bad feeling that's been created. Very poor indeed! As for the room (number 2), very nice but a health hazard. The bathroom has no bath but a very nice marble shower. However, the shower is open planned and the water just doesn't run away, so copious amounts of water on a marble floor, obviously not a good combination. All that's needed is a litigious Americian to fall over and Waves would literally, be no more. I believe it is that serious a design fault. Would I stay again at Waves? No! You can do better for your dollar. Overall, I found the people of Byron Bay really friendly & very respectful of each other, apart from that is a couple of young bucks (two separate occasions), who had a bit of a ding dong together, proberbly hormonal!
As Arnie once said..."Ir'll be back!

• Stayed February 2005