SHAME ON THIS PLACE. If you care about the environment, then you will hate what these people have done with the title of their hotel.
The hotel rooms are nice and new. Don't get me wrong, a great place to stay at, great just out of town location. Five min walk to town. There are three catches though.
1. You have to take out your own rubbish at the end of your stay or else be fined $30. I have never stayed at paid accommodation where you have to do this. Its a minor point though, this would not stop me going back.
2. There is no room 'clean up' except for those staying 8 nights or more. Now, a place where you are going to the beach everyday means that you are constantly leaving sand in the room and shower. I could not walk bare foot in the room as I hated the feeling of the sand on the tiled floor and got sick of having to dust off my feet before hopping into bed. The towels also get a bit stale after two days, so i feel sorry for those having to stay for 8 nights before getting a fresh towel.
3. MOST IMPORTANT TO US...I hate that these people have placed 'Eco' into their name when their hotel has nothing Eco friendly about it. The main thing that made us catch onto this was that there was no fan in the rooms, and so for air flow its either the air con or the hot air from the windows, and windows are not an option in Byrons summer if there is no breeze.
When i returned home i called them up as a potential customer and asked how their hotel was Eco friendly, since its in their name. The lady stumbled a little at the start, possibly lost for words. She then began to explain that they are Eco friendly because...wait for it.....'we re-use paper, and when the light globes blow, we replace them with the energy efficient ones'. This was the crappiest example of Eco I have ever heard...does not every household / business do this as a basic standard anyway? Oh and also....we noted when we took the rubbish out (to avoid being fined) that we then saw a recycling bin there yet there is no mention of such a bin nor is there a second bin for recycling in the room. We were not prepared to open our bags up to start sorting at this point.
All in all, nice and new. Value for money??? Well, what kind of person is happy to use their towel for 8 nights straight without it being replaced? And for this price, I would expect a nice little sweep of the room each day. I can live without the bed being made.
Even if you dont care about staying at Eco friendly places (I must say, we chose it for location and price), I cannot stand to see people using the term 'Eco' to attract customers when there is no effort towards being 'Eco' at all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- BreakFree Eco Beach offers a great location, affordable accommodation, and the perfect base to enjoy all the fun activities and attractions on offer in one of Australia's most popular holiday destinations. This resort offers a selection of studio rooms and one and two bedroom suites. Featuring modern decor and open plan designs, all accommodation has a casual feel suited to Byron Bay and its surrounds. All rooms include air conditioning, a balcony or patio, wide screen LCD TVs with Austar, DVD players, iron and ironing board, ensuite in all rooms, kitchenette and tea and coffee making facilities. BreakFree Eco Beach offers many onsite facilities including private surrounds with a central swimming pool, and a spa and a barbeque area far removed from the busy heart of Byron Bay. If you want to laze on the beach or hit the waves, the beach is just a 350 metre walk away. From here, guests can enjoy the distinctive character and alternative lifestyle Byron Bay is famous for by joining a surf school and yoga class, or go dolphin kayaking and enjoy a wildlife tour. The Byron Bay Lighthouse, Main Beach, Wategos beach, shopping, art galleries, cafes, restaurants and pubs are all within easy reach. Every activity is catered for in Byron Bay and is within easy reach from BreakFree Eco Beach, the perfect base for your next getaway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda and Booking.com so you can book your BreakFree Eco Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Breakfree Eco Beach Hotel Byron Bay