“Dirty and Old”
Review of Wollongbar Motel

Wollongbar Motel
Ranked #23 of 34 Hotels in Byron Bay
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed here last week in early August and were unfortunate to have room no 1 lots of road noise, people walking home and then the garbage truck came followed by the 6 am traffic . Our stay followed a festival the week before and it had rained and the carpet in our room was absolutely putrid and was wet this may have been why the room had a strange smell.
The cleaning staff are amateurs with no inspection of their work by management, basics like cleaning the shower, under beds (I found 2 cans of deodorant and numerous bottle tops) making beds and refilling of consumables.
We had paid up front through quick beds otherwise I would have left after the first night.They even had the hide to make us pay $50.00 more for a Saturday night when the state of the room needed a major discount as it should not have been let at all.
When checking out I mentioned these issues to management and was told the carpet was to be cleaned the following Wednesday(pity the other people who had to stay in this room) and that they will have a staff meeting with the cleaners. No offer of a refund or part there of. We had another 3 days in Byron so we moved to another motel in town better price better room.
I am still amazed why they would let out such a filthy room, I would have thought they would have more pride in there Motels reputation.
The location of this motel is great for beach and being within walking distance to town but we will not be back .

Room Tip: I would Inspect room prior to checking in. Rooms to the rear of the property should be quitter.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Peter346Australia
Craig D, Manager at Wollongbar Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

We acknowledge that room one is our closest unit to the road but thankfully the rest of the units run away from the road towards the beach. Your room did have some minor stains on the carpet, nothing like you reported though.As stated clearners were organised to do all our rooms after the busy festival, all but three (one being room one) were done two days after the festival.
What disturbs me is we did not charge you an extra $50 for a Saturday as you did not stay a Saturday.There was no extra charge at all, maybe it was $50 you expected back when you threatened us with a bad trip adviser review.The wet smell would have been from the three days your surfboards,wetsuits & clothes laid all over the floor and beds.You didn't leave the motel because of the room but because your booking had ended and the motel was fully booked for the weekend.Being so critical and the fact I saw you every day I wish you told me your problem with the road noise and I could have moved your family.Your consumables were refilled.
Our motel has a high occupancy rate and high rate of return guests, this is due to the efforts of all our staff.I'm saddened to see trip adviser used this way and feel sorry you had to state some porky pies in your review.Readers please contact me if you are concerned with this review.
Kind regards,Craig

Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

We arrived down Saturday afternoon and were met by a very friendly lady on reception who gave me some directions for Byron and a map and also explained how to get to the beach using the private entrance.
We stayed in room 14 and it was great. Big room with large bed, tv, tea making facilities, toaster and air-con. We actually had to use the heating as it was quite chilly in the evening. The room heated up very quickly.
There was plenty of hot water and plenty of space in the bathroom. I was delighted to see they'd provided a hairdryer as I'd left mine at home.
It's only a short walk to the beach, shops and restaurants from the motel. When checking out the lady on reception was very friendly and made checking out very quick and easy.
We really enjoyed our stay here and would love to go back if we visit byron bay

• Stayed: May 2013
Craig D, Front Office Manager at Wollongbar Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Hi Shanasha,
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and had a good time in Byron Bay. Will pass your compliments on to reception staff, and hope to see you again in Byron Bay someday.
Thanks for taking time to review our motel.

Reviewed 14 April 2013

We had room 23 and it was fab quite no road noise at all and very clean big shower and balcony staff were friendly and always helpful plenty of tea and coffee in room with fridge nice chilled glasses in fridge and fresh water a nice touch !
We went to beach through the walkway and used the pool the sun beds were plenty and very new so thanks to staff and management for a great two night break we have recommended you to friends who are visiting Australia in September ! Good value for money !

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maria M

Hi Maria,
Thankyou for your comments and review. We are glad you were comfortable and able to enjoy some poolside time. We appreciate your recommendation to your friends, and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 22 March 2013

I rely on trip advisor, however there was no mention on the reviews about road noise, perhaps no one had stayed in room number 1.
When I booked there were 2 family rooms available, however when we arrived we got the dud room, the room that should be sold last, at a reduced rate.
We were in the first room from the street, LOTS of road noise.
I asked to be moved because of the noise but they were full and after a long drive, I was not prepared to go look for another place at 5pm on a Saturday.
The gentleman was polite and suggested we kept the doors and windows closed to combat the noise which quietens we were told at 10pm...which it did....then it started up again at 6am - which we were not told.
We chose to keep the windows slightly open for fresh, cool air as we don't want to have the air con on all night.
Was woken by someone running past the motel and yelling out at 2am, then again by the road noise at 6am.
Toilet continuously running, had to shut the bathroom door to get to sleep.
No fan in the bathroom so it steams up while showering, I could open the window however I don't like to be looked in on from the rooms next door which look directly into the shower.
Room was VERY VERY tired with dated and bad decor, have stayed in better places for less than their rate of $189.00, not in Byron Bay but still expect a certain standard for $189.00
Before we left we did one last check of the room to make sure we hadn't left anything behind, looked under the double bed and there was an empty plastic container that is used for sushi take away, tissues and general dirt, all not from our stay.

The location is perfect, close to the beach and shops.
The pool and bbq area looked nice but didn't use it.
I'm sure units further in from the street would be better, especially if house keeping cleans under the beds, therefore making it a more suitable place to stay for the price.

Perhaps if the room was cheaper you could over look the noise, ugly and tired decor factor and steamy bathroom but didn't like parting with my money for something unsuitable and over priced for what it offered.
I was prepared to talk to the staff upon check out about our experience, however when I handed over the room key I was greeted with:
"Good morning"
"Checking out ?"
"Would you like an invoice ?"

No question of " How was your stay ?"
Mmmmm.
Think they know now, but too late, not staying there again.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not near the street, if so, ask for a discount.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 February 2013

The reviews we read on Trip Advisor were very accurate. The location is excellent, the building and facilities tired, the room servicing very random, the reception staff helpful and the pool very enjoyable. They need to do some I vestment in the property and their staff if they want to do well in this competitive environment.

Gail

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank parnersinwine

Thanks for your review Gail.
As the winter low season approaches we have restoration and upgrade plans in place. It is also a good time for our house keepers to spend the extra time on each room to increase the standard. I hope you enjoyed your stay in Byron Bay and glad to hear you enjoyed our pool.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

Room was a bit dated and ropey but very clean. Management and reception were very friendly and helpful. Sometimes you get the rat race attitude from Byron business owners because they're so flat out busy and don't need to try too hard as the punters flock there. These guys were brilliant - so helpful. Thanks for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Craig D, Manager at Wollongbar Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2013

Thanks for your review Tony,

Byron Bay can get busy , especially at the time of year you were here! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope we can accomodate you again some day.

Reviewed 14 January 2013

I am a travel agent in Sydney and would highly recommend Wollongbar Motel - we booked the 3 bedroom apartment which is at the front of the property - great for family groups sleeping up to 10 people - 8 comfortably. Nigel and Jayne the Managers were very informative with what to do around Byron Bay and the apartment was fantastic!! They even made our beds daily which was a bonus - and when I had clothes washing to do - Nigel even hung it out as I was busy shopping in town - what can I say!!! The pool area was very handy - very clean and great for a dip in the hot temps - we cooked BBQ's at the poolside and were able to supervise the kids at the same time - the kids loved the access to the beach - they loved walking over the old railway lines and going through the private track - it was like being back in the 70's...

I highly recommend the 3 bedroom apartment if you are looking at a group of people who want to be right in town and have a great place to relax and sleep in..

Room Tip: 3 bedroom apartment great for family groups of 8-10 people