“Great hostel”
Review of Byron Bay YHA

Byron Bay YHA
“Great hostel”
Reviewed 14 January 2013 via mobile

I spent two nights here and loved it. Great location, the whole hostel is clean and modern and the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. I would definitely recommend to stay here as it is great value for money.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Charloulee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London
Reviewed 28 December 2012

We stayed one night and it was perfect for what we needed. The room was clean, sheets were suppiled, we were able to hire towels, lockers available. Showers were hot and not busy. A good pool. Only slight downside is that it's quite pricey for a standard hostel - $40 each for a bunk in a shared dorm. But Byron's a popular place so it wasn't massively surprising.

Great location, close to all shops and a short walk to the beach. Good atmosphere, friendly staff.

Needs bedside lamps to reduce disruption to sleeping roommates when coming back late at night :)

Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I stayed there with my partner and had a great time. Mainly due to the pool, heat and bean bags. It creates an environment where travellers can meet and socialise. Room was clean and only mess was in the kitchen but that was due to other mess of guests. For location and friendly staff would recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2012

I have stayed here before (march 2012 I think?) the toilet / shower blocks appear to have been updated, they'll better most budget hotels. Usual friendly and accommodating staff on reception - room standard doorm type so not too much to say... Free parking and excellent location.

My score for value probably says more about the weakness of the pound and the exchange rate rather than the cost charged...

A lot of accommodation now offers free wifi, I do think yha in general need to adopt this as a world wide policy.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Morphius187069
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Where do I begin. I had booked 2 rooms. 1 x Twin and 1 x 4 Berth. I had 5 International Students with me. 4 girls whom knew each other, and a male who had just arrived and outside of commumicating with me didn't know anyone. Hence the 2 rooms. He and I shared a room. After no less than 3 phone calls, I believed I had booked a room with a private bathroom. That way he and I had somewhere to change without 1 of us having to leave the room or compromised in anyway. NOT the case. We arrived on time for chk in. Rooms not ready. When we returned 1 hour later. Only 1 room had been made up and we had to return to get bedlinen for the other room later. The twin room had no bathroom it in. I went to reception to ask waht was going on, and as they where full she was unable to move us. A pathetic apology and nothing else was offered for the error. So all the effort I had gone to so that neither the male student or myself where put in an embrassing position was a complete waste of time, money and effort. We paid more for the room so that we would not have to share the bathroom facilities. What a disgrace. Upon leaving, they only seemed more interest to make sure we had stripped the beds and brought the bedlinen down to the front office. We had to put them in a laundry trolley for them as weel. Seriously, I asked. "Do you want me to vacuum the room for you as well " !!!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank givemeabreakasap
YHA_Backpacker, Public Relations Manager at Byron Bay YHA, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Hi
Thanks for your review of Byron Bay YHA. YHA takes all reviews seriously and this has been discussed with the hostel staff.
As this hostel does not have any twin ensuite rooms at all, we think there must have been some misunderstanding with your booking as you could not have been promised this room type. Unfortunately this hostel has very few rooms with ensuites and they are usually booked out well in advance. Hostels do run differently to hotels with more communal living that helps keep costs down to suit budget travellers.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Yep this is great place to stay its clean, quiet when late at night and awesome location, and all very clean. Hammock or bean bags to chill in and Pool is awesome, good security friendly staff and you get cheap entry to the clubs. Would stay here again for sure

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
B
Reviewed 4 October 2012

I Stayed here for a few nights in October. Every time you go to use the kitchen right use wash and dry everything you use. That is you have to have clean tea towels. One night I went to make a meal. and was looking for tea towels but they were all thrown on the ground in a heap. I took a photo of them and while I was doing this one of the cleaners quickly took them away and put up new ones. Ok. Went to do laundry that night and they were thown on the floor in a heap. I just after doing the laundry. They were still there the following morning and still there at 1:30 the following day. The tea towels that were there in the kitchen were dirty. I informed reception of this and requested new tea towels oh we'll send the cleaner in with new ones and I also informed them about the tea towels been thrown on the ground and they didn't seem to care. Would you see this in any other hostel? Would you do this with your own washing? No I Dont think so.

The rooms have no air con

Room Tip: Go to another hostel
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo