“Good quality Hostel but some improvements needed”
Review of Byron Bay YHA

Byron Bay YHA
London
“Good quality Hostel but some improvements needed”
Reviewed 30 January 2009

Stayed here for 5 nights in Jan 08 and paid $33 for a 5 bed dorm. The room was too small for 5 bed and was therefore, very hot and cramped. The fan was a waste of time as it didn't even move the hot air around let alone cool the room down. The showers/bathrooms need a good clean and any showers not working need to be repaired ASAP as without all showers working you are waiting in line. I found the reception staff very good and helpful. The kitchen area is a good size and has the required cutlery. The layout of the hostel is, I think, good but I know some girls will not like walking if front of people to the showers etc. Subject to the heat in the room, you can get a good nights sleep as the staff make sure the communal areas are quiet after 11pm. Free stuff including tea/coffee & body boards are available from reception.

• Liked — Location and staff
  • Disliked — Lack of cool air in the room
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank truthtelleruk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
LA
Reviewed 2 March 2007

Even though their YHA website booking engine allows guests to declare an arrival time throughout the night - and I was arriving on a late bus at 10:30 so I declared 11 pm - I still knew from long experience that this needed to be confirmed separately by email. So I sent two emails during the week prior, neither of which was responded to. So I arrived at 11 pm to find the hostel's office closed with no instructions left for my late check-in. After waiting for an eternity, another guest arrived and suggested I look under the doormat, where I found my key. The room was a blast furnace, and when I tried to turn on the ceiling fan, I was shouted down by a roomie who said it was too loud. After laying awake in sweaty misery for 3 hours, I discovered that the fan was only hideously loud on the lower settings, so was able to turn it on high which succeeded in moving the heat around a bit.

The next morning, sleepless and feeling mistreated, I pasted on my smile and, trying to be pleasant, complained about the night before. Fortunately, the staff was most helpful, apologetic, and even upgraded me to a single (which I was told had a breeze) for $7 extra above the prepayment of $33 I'd made on the web, which seemed like a fair deal given their premium rates. Although it was still hot, I slept 12 hours that night allowing me to catch up in advance of a sleepless flight that night SYD-HNL.

I think that this hostel is questionable in not having a clearly stated check-in process when guests declare a late check in time, for not answering repeated e-mails from guests who apparently have more foresight than they do, and for selling beds at premium prices in rooms that are too steamy hot.

Byron Bay is spectacular though, especially the lighthouse hike via rainforest and coastal cliffs, with striking views of world-class surfing waves shared by (yes!) surfing dolphins!

Stayed March 2007
3 Thank walkdmx
London, England
Reviewed 13 February 2007

This place was pretty good, until I actually walked into the door. From there, it was basically downhill. Its not necessarily the inept
workers behind the desk or the check in process that actually frustrated me more than my 13 hour travel day (which
they were not exactly understanding of. And by “not exactly”, I
mean that they couldn’t have cared less…) or the cleaners that
managed to wake me up on multiple occasions after i repeatedly
pleaded them not to enter my private room. I guess I should have
known when the cleaners were coming in the morning, considering the complete lack of any information given to me concerning the hostel rules. (Not that I wanted to actually sleep, that would be ridiculous, right?) Also, I enjoy being stared at naked by complete strangers. It wasn’t any of these things, per se, but a grand combination of all. Everywhere I turned, I was disappointed. But, when things go wrong you turn to the manager, right? Your one last hope for some sanity, respect and just plain human decency, right? Let’s just say I wouldn’t recommend that here. This so-called “manager” was quite possibly the worst addition to an already crap-tacular hostel. Rather than listening to anything I had to say, he immediately became defensive and basically started insulting me. An interesting strategy when dealing with guests, I’ll be the first to admit. But a failure nonetheless. But in all fairness, since he didn’t want to sleep with me, what use would there be in helping me? (while throwing the lamest of attempts at almost any girl who walked through the door) What a joke. The treatment received in that hostel was one of the most humiliating and offensive in all my live traveling!
Highly overrated hostel, to say the least.

4 Thank gaudiaroundtheworld