“Total Rip-Off”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Gerringong
Sydney
“Total Rip-Off”
Reviewed 30 July 2008

We originally booked at bellachara on the internet but when we turned up after confirming by phone a week before hand they told us there was no record of the booking. And that instead off the $260 a night we thought we were getting it for (which I thought was steep enough) we got told the room type we asked for would be cost us almost $700 for the 2 nights we stayed! The receptionist, however was lovely and very apologetic, offering us a complimentary bottle of wine (a complimentary $200 would have been nice!)
The website is misleading in making you think that there is any kind of view from this place. You can barely see the ocean at all and none of the rooms would have a view of the mountains behind. The room we had instead looked over what I would describe as a swamp with earthworks in progress. The walk to the beach is long, and in april you can get pretty cold by the time you get back!
Like many reviewers, we had problems with the noise from adjoining rooms, with kids on one side that sounded like they were talking in our bathroom! The housekeepers replaced our towels as requested, but threw out some of the food we left on a benchtop and replaced our soap when it wasn't necessary.

We went to the restaurant the first night of our stay and the food was ok but not very cheap for what it was. The beers were not cheap either, but wine was reasonably priced. The waitress we had was polite and friendly but seemed disorganised and was constantly bossed around by another of the staff back at the bar area who ignored us when we were waiting to pay our dinner bill. We found that there are plenty of cheaper options in town for dinner, but it is a long uphill walk.

Overall, we were not impressed with the quality of the place considering what we paid and it was not very relaxing in our room listening to other people's TVs (they are ridiculously big plasmas - what a waste of power!). Most of the staff were friendly, but there is a general sense of disorder and there seems to be a bit of a pecking order. Unless you have money to THROW AWAY, stay somewhere else.

• Liked — The bed was very nice, mostly good service
  • Disliked — Noisy neighbors, location, EXPENSIVE
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank spartan299

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 4 May 2008

Bellachara is elegant with modern furniture, but they charge way too much money for what they offer. Their website makes it look like you can see the coast from the balconies, but the reality is that you can barely see the water. We were disappointed to find out that coffee was not included in the breakfast. They said that if we wanted lattes or specialty teas, we would have to pay extra and this was kind of offensive because we were paying $340 per night! Bellachara has two pools, but no hot tubs. One of the pools closes at 9pm and the other closes at 7pm. This is definitely not a place for young people, especially because there are signs (with the word thank you written like 'thankyou') all over telling you to be quiet after 9pm. Good luck finding something to do after 9pm because there is almost nothing within walking distance and they only get four channels on the T.V.

• Liked — style
  • Disliked — value
2 Thank AlaneandMickey
bellateam, Gregg Currie The Owner at Mercure Gerringong Resort, responded to this review, 26 October 2009
Sorry about your web booking...thera re a lot of web sites out there "booking" belalchara, but in fact only 6 are approved and known by us. Try and book directly throiugh the any hotel's own web site or the top web sites advertsied well nationally....also mistake some time happen, by the booker and the hotels.

We show a picture of the beach, becasue that is what gerirngong is all about. Though in the 1st paragraph we state the beach is 5 minutes away.

Boutique means small, so we can't and don't want to be a chain hotel like the one you mentioned, so the comparison is unfair and not comparable....sorry bellachara was not for you, but thank fully it is for many.
Kind regards

Travellers are raving about these Gerringong hotels

sydney
Reviewed 23 April 2008

Property was extremely overpriced.
The deck had cobwebs all over the furniture and had not been swept.
The rooms were extremely noisy.
The breakfasts were amazing - but i was really disappointed at dinner - both selection and service.
We stayed for 2 nights and paid over $600.00 and walked away feeling completely ripped off!

• Liked — Breakfast and the shower
  • Disliked — Room noise, lack of cleanliness and detail, overpriced
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dippity_8
bellateam, Owner Gregg Currie at Mercure Gerringong Resort, responded to this review, 26 October 2009
Thank you for the feed back...house keeping has been corrected as has our restaurant with a new chef and new restaurant manager.
Noise is not often a problem, but sometimes it does occur. Day spa noise has been solved.
Reviewed 13 April 2008

Our stay at Bellachara had its ups and downs, Overall I would say that I'd like to stay there again because I had a good time and the staff were lovely, but unfortunatley it is well overpiced for what is offered, considering its location and the quality of fittings.

On the plus side, the service from the staff at reception was great, they were friendly, professional and warm. Checking in and out was easy and there were no problems getting into our room etc. The bed was very comfortable.

We had dinner at the restaurant and the food was very nice, although the service could be better - it felt like the staff were a bit disorganised in their approach. To be fair they all were lovely to us and because the food was nice, the service was easy to overlook (I mention the lack of service because this restaurant is on the expensive side and you would expect more).

And then the down side...

On first glance our room looked like everything that the hotel image promises, modern and comfortable.

I normally would not comment on the standard of fixtures and quality of the property but given the hefty price tag I feel the need to.

On closer inspection, a cheap renovation becomes apparent. The bathroom fittings and fixtures were very cheap and not what you would expect in a place that costs so much per evening. On looking around the room and at the outside of the building it just didn't add up. Then I observed the pictures of what the hotel used to look like before the renovation and it all made sense. It is a huge improvement, but with this sort of money you expect quality fixtures (compared to what your money can get you elsewhere).

To add to this, the bathroom tiles in the shower were mouldy, and there was a hair that did not belong to me on top of the bath (you know which kind). I considered complaining but decided not to. I didn't want to bring the mood of the occasion down for my partner and myself by making an issue of it - but I want to know why hotels can't use some mould spray on the walls in the bathroom? I understand there is no window in the bathroom but that is no excuse. To be fair to the hotel, I didn't give them a chance to address this issue and I take responsibility for that.

I noted that the bedhead was also dusty on the top and again, something you wouldn't expect for this price. I expect spotless because after all, a hotel room is a place where different people sleep night after night ,and what you are paying for is a clean place to sleep.

We noted that although there was an amazing plasma TV, there was no Foxtel. This would normally not be an issue, but I would expect this as standard when charging these rates. The mini bar was by far the best I've seen, yummy things and well priced. The complimentary water in the fridge was great too.

And finally a word about the day spa. I decided to enjoy a massage during my stay. The massage itself was great. Unfortunatley for me, the noise outside the massage room was awful. I can't explain how vulnerable you feel when you are having a massage and you are considering complaining about the noise rather than relaxing. It's the first time in many years of having remedial massage that I have been exposed to such loud noise from the staff and other customers talking and laughing loudly just outside the door. Thankfully after what felt like an eternity it stopped, but I expected more care from the staff, especially when I have had massages in so many different places and never been exposed to thoughtless noise. As far as day spa's go, I always know that one's onsite are never as good as the individuals who work in private practice, but the convenience of having it onsite is often worth paying through the nose. The design of the day spa seems wrong with the sitting room outside the massage room which means all the noise is heard by the person having a massage.

So in short, I did enjoy myself (after all these comments I don't know if you could believe me but I did have a great time) and would consider staying there again, but I have to say that felt cheated because I was paying way too much for a cheaply renovated property which is already showing the signs the reno was done on the cheap.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The price
3 Thank Sitsa
bellateam, Gregg Currie, The Owner at Mercure Gerringong Resort, responded to this review, 26 October 2009
wow, tough critique but true and I am sorry. A lot has been learnt from your review and many meetings and training have taken place...am I am confident all is corrected...excpet for rebuilding the hotel.
Campbelltown
Reviewed 11 September 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at Bellachara Boutique Hotel for the June long Weekend. We were lucky enough to book the Holiday deal as it was the Queens Birthday! It was amazing for the money we paid. We got a free buffet breakfast every morning which was absolutey lovely. We had no problems with booking, no problems with the room being noisey but the only problem we had was...we didnt want to leave. We stayed until the second of our check-out time as it was so gorgeous!

I have read previous reviews and dont understand what the problem was. We had neighbours either side of us and never had problem with noise even though they had little kids whom were probably crying during the night. I never heard them. We were also under the Day spa and had no problems with being woken up.

The surrounding sights were beautiful and we got plenty of photos to remind us of my boyfriends and mines first trip. We loved it so much, we've booked again for a week in December. Thanks so much Bellachara staff, you made our holiday fantastic!

• Liked — It was so neatly set out and everyone was so amazing
  • Disliked — We had to leave!
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Holly012
Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2007

We were quite disappointed - noise was an issue with thin walls and ceilings. We were unlucky enough to have a room under the day spa which meant we were woken up at 7.30am - not the relaxing weekend with a lie in that we hoped for. In terms of being classed as 'boutique' whilst the rooms were nicely laid out with good beds and a stylish bathroom, you could tell it was a motel that was essentially re-fitted internally.

On the positive side, the restaurant was excellent for both breakfast and dinner with friendly staff.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank Babington
Reviewed 7 December 2006

We had some problems with our booking to this hotel. After booking real-time on their website for a spa-room, we received an email 4 days later, saying this was unavailable. They suggested the balcony room instead. We booked this, and then received confirmation for a Spa room booking. We rang the hotel to find out what was going on, they said they'd call us back and never did. Not a good start.

We arrived on Fri, half an hour before the check in time. After a moment of wondering where reception was, we followed the arrows and then walked past it as it only had a small sign too and ended up at the restaurant.

Once we walked in, the hotel staff were seated and I didn't like how there was only one guest chair per receptionist as I would expect they would have more couples checking in. So we both stood up and talked down which was weird and awkward. Our balcony room was ready and we were absolutely impressed! Gorgeous modern colour schemes and the largest plasma flat screen TV I have ever seen in a hotel EVER! A nice leather lounge with a funky throw and cushions.

King-size bed, however upon sitting on the end it was apparant it was two king-singles pushed together even though it as made with the sheets as one bed.

Bathroom was good size with a double shower and lots of towels and a good hair dryer. Groovy mini-bar with 'reasonable' prices for a 4 1/2 star hotel (popcorn, Cherry Ripe chocettes, Pringles etc plus 2 free bottled water per day)

OK - the bad points:
* Origami Paper thin walls! (as per both previous reviews) - Absolutely horrible, and the reason this hotel only gets an average rating instead of excellent. How can you boast luxurious rooms when conversations, noises etc from neighbouring rooms are so loud?? After spending so much money on such a gorgeous place, I wonder why they didn't brick up the walls between rooms, instead of leaving just the fibro/gyprock/plasterboard. Horrible. Embarassing. Not relaxing.

*Breakfast -- Unprofessional staff, waited a good 20+ minutes for bacon, eggs, baked beans, tomoto. Overpriced and would not recommend if not included with room rate.

* Cleaning staff threw out the soap we had brought - it's a special NZ honey one we order in and use, and didn't look like the hotel soap.

* Modern, funky look but spoilt with cheap looking plastic waste bins. Stainless steel would have suited better

The dinner experience was so much better than breakfast - professional attentive service. Modern size meals (ie, huge plate, small serves) with a price-tag! But nice for a one-off dining experience.

Check-out receptionist Lola was lovely. Told us we could grab another chair to sit down and wished us a safe drive home.

An amazing place to stay - it's such a pity about the lack of soundproofing. We were lucky to get one night free of neighbours, however you shouldn't have to rely on empty neighbouring rooms in hotels to enjoy yourselves.

But I will always have fond memories as we got engaged there :)

• Liked — Modern colour schemes and furniture
  • Disliked — Origami - paper thin walls!
  • Tips/Secrets — Either be very quiet or be really noisy so you block out the sound in neighbouring rooms!
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ryleeh
Parris09, assistant manager at Mercure Gerringong Resort, responded to this review, 29 March 2007
We thank you for your honest feedback. We have taken on board any of your negative experiences with bellachara and changed a few things in order to make the experience more enjoyable for next time.
Walls-
the walls are actually quite thick and sound proofed. We were experiencing problems with noise from the interconnecting doors and this has now been fixed with rubber sealing.
Breakfast-
We now have a buffet available everyday. continental buffet weekdays from 7am-10am & full hot and cold selection on weekends 7am-11am. With free piping hot tea and coffee
Signage-
We have erected new signage throughout our property. Very hard now to get lost or not be able to find reception.
The beds -
Our beds are of exeptional quality. They are king singles which zip together and a huge fluffy pillow top matress goes onto to create a king size bed. You cannot tell sleeping on the bed that it is 2 sigles as only the base is different. This gives our whole hotel the ability to be either king or twin depending on our guests requirements.
At bellachara we welcome constuctive feedback, our guests often help us in improving our facilities and services.
To Rylee
congratulations on your engagement, we hope we get to see you again before your big day!
Cheers
and kind regards
Carmen Risby
Assistant Manager
Bellachara Boutique Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gerringong
The Sebel Harbourside Kiama
Berry Village Boutique Motel
Kiama Cove Motel
Kiama Cove Motel
#3 of 3 in Kiama

Been to Mercure Gerringong Resort? Share your experiences!