We originally booked at bellachara on the internet but when we turned up after confirming by phone a week before hand they told us there was no record of the booking. And that instead off the $260 a night we thought we were getting it for (which I thought was steep enough) we got told the room type we asked for would be cost us almost $700 for the 2 nights we stayed! The receptionist, however was lovely and very apologetic, offering us a complimentary bottle of wine (a complimentary $200 would have been nice!)
The website is misleading in making you think that there is any kind of view from this place. You can barely see the ocean at all and none of the rooms would have a view of the mountains behind. The room we had instead looked over what I would describe as a swamp with earthworks in progress. The walk to the beach is long, and in april you can get pretty cold by the time you get back!
Like many reviewers, we had problems with the noise from adjoining rooms, with kids on one side that sounded like they were talking in our bathroom! The housekeepers replaced our towels as requested, but threw out some of the food we left on a benchtop and replaced our soap when it wasn't necessary.
We went to the restaurant the first night of our stay and the food was ok but not very cheap for what it was. The beers were not cheap either, but wine was reasonably priced. The waitress we had was polite and friendly but seemed disorganised and was constantly bossed around by another of the staff back at the bar area who ignored us when we were waiting to pay our dinner bill. We found that there are plenty of cheaper options in town for dinner, but it is a long uphill walk.
Overall, we were not impressed with the quality of the place considering what we paid and it was not very relaxing in our room listening to other people's TVs (they are ridiculously big plasmas - what a waste of power!). Most of the staff were friendly, but there is a general sense of disorder and there seems to be a bit of a pecking order. Unless you have money to THROW AWAY, stay somewhere else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mercure Resort Gerringong, only 2 hours south of Sydney on the NSW south coast & 5 minutes from the beach. With 52 king rooms, an award winning restaurant, an indulgent day spa, 2 swimming pools, tennis court, a sun drenched garden courtyard & a kids play area... for holidays, events, conferences & weddings. Created to offer guests a personal experience... with views overlooking the hinterland, across protected wetlands & back to the sea. Enjoy the local charm of Gerringong, the Illawarra & the Shoalhaven where you’ll find golf, boutique wineries, scenic attractions, coastal walks, rainforests, recreation theme parks, kids attractions, fantastic shopping in many boutiques & the weekend markets…..so much to see & do ! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, ACCOR, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mercure Gerringong Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Resort Gerringong By The Sea Hotel Gerringong
- Bellachara Boutique Gerringong