This hotel is located in a very scenic and relaxing place on the NSW coast around 2 hours drive south of Sydney. A good alternative to the now crowded Kiama, but close enough if you want to visit there.
This hotel was clearly built in the 70's or 80's and was your typical roadside motel of the period. BUT, not anymore. Completely modernised inside and out, only the layout gives away it's dated history. No need for me to go into detail as there are photo's on their website and they truly represent the place.
It was just my wife and I so we went the Garden studio room, i.e the cheapest option. It was excellent for the two of us. If you had kids, then get a bigger balcony room for sure. The room is very nicely laid out with new, modern furniture and a huge plasma TV. The place was immaculate. Probably the best I have seen on the south coast.
The restaurant is another highlight. It has a genuine wine / cocktail lounge complete with fireplace. The food was excellent and the only place we dined. All staff are friendly and always up for a chat.
Mini bar prices are very reasonable. A little bit above retail, but not your usual rip-off.
OK, this is starting to sound like the owners are reviewing this so I'll give you a couple of tips and negatives. First, an excellent tip is the cocktail hour(s) of 5-7 on Friday's. Everything on the list is HALF price. including the bottled wine. So, book your dinner for 7 and order your bottle of wine at the cocktail lounge just prior. You can then take it to dinner and pay half the price.
Second, only down side is sound proofing of the rooms. To the point where you can make out conversations and it sounds like they are in YOUR bathroom at times. I got up one night thinking my shower was running, but it was the neighbours. This is something they really need to correct I think. The only reason I gave it a 4 and not a 5 rating.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mercure Resort Gerringong, only 2 hours south of Sydney on the NSW south coast & 5 minutes from the beach. With 52 king rooms, an award winning restaurant, an indulgent day spa, 2 swimming pools, tennis court, a sun drenched garden courtyard & a kids play area... for holidays, events, conferences & weddings. Created to offer guests a personal experience... with views overlooking the hinterland, across protected wetlands & back to the sea. Enjoy the local charm of Gerringong, the Illawarra & the Shoalhaven where you’ll find golf, boutique wineries, scenic attractions, coastal walks, rainforests, recreation theme parks, kids attractions, fantastic shopping in many boutiques & the weekend markets…..so much to see & do ! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Agoda and ACCOR so you can book your Mercure Gerringong Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Resort Gerringong By The Sea Hotel Gerringong
- Bellachara Boutique Gerringong