“not meant to be top star, but decent for overnight stay on long-haul family road trip”

Bushmans Retreat Motel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Gundagai
Portland, Australia
Reviewed 8 January 2014

this motel is by no means 5 (or even 4, or 3.5!) star, but it was adequate for what we needed: a stopover on a 1300km road trip with 3 kids & an infant.

We had Family Room #3 - booked in advance, on a booking website (can't remember, maybe wotif?). Room #3 has a set of bunks, a single, and a double. very basic. well & truly dated. However, it was clean, tidy, all facilities worked (there's a microwave and small bar fridge, we got a small carton of milk as well), and i have no complaints, really - i knew what to expect, which is key.

There's even an above-ground pool, which the kids enjoyed a dip in on a 38C day before we headed out to dinner.

It is close to the first Gundagai fwy exit, Shell petrol, McDonalds & Hungry Jacks.

If you don't have high expectations, and only really need a bed for a break off the Hume, this joint is at a fairly resonable price ($130 total for the night, for five of us for one room).

I didn't take photos - we werent there long enough, and unpacked fairly quickly so the room untidy before i could take a shot!

Room Tip: As long as your expectations aren't too high, you really can't go wrong. We booked via wotif...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank superj1978

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sydney
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I didn't have high expectations for this motel after reading the previous reviews however I needed dog-friendly accommodation to break the drive between Melbourne and Sydney and this seemed the best option. The manager was friendly upon arrival. The motel is old and definitely no-frills however the sheets were clean, as was the bathroom and the air-conditioning worked well (considering the 38 degree temperature outside). A small carton of fresh milk for tea/coffee was a nice touch (as opposed to the little UHT milks). There is a small fridge & toaster.

There is an area to walk your dog. The motel was full however I didn't notice any barking from other units.

Would I stay here again? Yes, in similar circumstances. If travelling as a family or for more than overnight, I'd look for something more modern.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Annmaxine
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 December 2013

after reading reviews about this establisment we very nearly didnt stay. but i looked at other establishments that knockers of this motel have posted hey supprise supprise they are serial whingers one comment on a one of sydneys premier 5 star hotels end result they got what they wanted discounts freebee,s we decided to try it ourselves my wife and 3 grandchildren stayed for 3 nights we have no complaints yes it is an older style motel, but it suited us the kids kicked a football around the large lawn area ajoining the motel, which i might add we were not on tender hooks waiting for other guest to complain kids are kids they are noisey when playing but playing in the paddock was a .bonus for us oldies
we asked the owner to open the motel restuarant at 8.45pm for dinner as all (except) maccas were open. no problem enjoyed county style meal with good old country hospitality *******

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank max a
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My mother and I were driving to Sydney a Week Before my wedding. I did see negative reviews on this motel, but due to the situation we were in (we were traveling with two dogs) we were forced to stay here. So this place is 'dog friendly' now i am a Dog Lover. But this place is just beyond what any dog lover would believe is acceptable. The dogs are allowed in the room, which already creates a lowered standard. I have my dogs inside my house, but with that comes a need for a high standard of hygiene.
So, on arrival, we checked in (no problem) we entered our room, and both our legs started itching (fleas?) - we also camp often so we are in no way 'fussy'. Immediately after entering we saw quite a few things were not up to standard. The bathroom was dirty, there were marks on the toilet that had not been cleaned, there was thick dust everywhere, the floor was dirty (to the point where we both would NOT take our shoes off) the sheets were dirty (luckily we had our own) and everything was just not up to standard.
Mum and I went into the local Woolworths and ended up buying $100 worth of cleaning gear, pillows, towels and such just to make our stay as comfortable as possible. Then staying out in the town until very late to avoid being in the dingy dirty room.
Our dogs would not sit down all night and the next day needed to be washed and de-flead.
This was BY far the worst Motel i have ever experienced.
We ended up packing up and leaving VERY early the next day after a very bad sleep.
I hope that this Motel picks up their standards before anyone else has this kind of experience.
Oh! And the pool is not in any condition to use, it is an ABOVE ground pool that looks as though it is falling apart.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank AnitaLouise92

Travellers are raving about these Gundagai hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I stayed here with my 2 Son's in August on a family trip. Check in was friendly and hassle free. The room was very clean, and quite comfy. The motel is about a 5 minute walk from Maccas for the kids but there is a restaurant serving home cooked meals. We ate in the motel restaurant and the meals was superb and reasonably priced, as were drinks.

Will definitely stay here on future visits.

Room Tip: Room 7 was great for my family
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank sarah H
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I have stayed here before and found that the motel still very good & comfortable. I booked directly on the property Wotif site and received a better price than on other location. I stayed in room 5 the room was neat and clean.. The property is very close fast food & servo. I would have no hesitation to use the property again

Room Tip: Stayed in room 5, room had all we needed also fresh milk for a coffee
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jim A
sydney
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We were on our way to Melbourne and needed somewhere to crash. The motel just of Hume highway was shut. So we drove another minute until we found this motel.
This motel was disgusting - I will never stay here again..
The bathrooms were so filthy, the bed sheets were like it has been reused without washing it. the bed was soooooo uncomfortable. the room had a very bad smell the smell was also on the bed / sheets/pillows.. The reception smelt even worse. The aircon didn't even work properly and when we tried to turn it on all these dust and a disgusting smell came out.
I definitely do not recommend this motel to anyone..
Just keep driving or sleep in the car!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family