“Fantastic Family Stay”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hawks Nest
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic Family Stay”
Reviewed 13 May 2012

What a fantastic location!! We stayed in a 2 bedroom motel style unit which presented very clean and tidy. The heated pool (with slide) and spa area was a big hit with the kids along with the playground across the road and the beach at the end of the street. The restaurant food was spectacular and reasonably priced. Would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Reviewed 11 May 2012 via mobile

the moment my husband and I arrived I could smell urine. We opened the window to air the room. After a few minutes the room filled up with passive cigaret smoke from the staff directly under our room smoking.... It was disgusting My husband complained but no resolution. We made the unfortunate choice of eating at the restaurant, we had the pizza. YUK... Should have had dominos as it would have been better. will never stay again or recommend. Scoopon should do some homework before offering the feals. They will b hearing from me. Not happy

• Stayed May 2012
8 Thank leoniecccc

Travellers are raving about these Hawks Nest hotels

Reviewed 10 May 2012 via mobile

When I first saw the coupon add for this motel I thought it looked nice, also went & took a look at their website & photos of the motel looked nice.. But they are deceiving!! Also with details on the coupon stating daily breakfast or whatever for 2 & free bike hire etc! Which was only a discount when we were handed paper coupons to use! My partner bought the voucher for our anniversary but they didn't have the date available so we went elsewhere for our anniversary which was beautiful & clean unlike this craphole! Okay I understand it is a motel but to have reception staff who seem like they're out of it on drugs!!! And then to enter a room that looked like a jail cell from the outside & then as soon as you open the door there was a whiff of a bad smell inside. Then mould on all the blinds, a throw over quilt on the sofa which was fairly stained underneath.. Floor was disgustingly dirty.. I used a towel to get to & from the bathroom to the bed & made sure we wore our shoes to walk around.. The area was dead quiet.. Ended up getting take away from down the road as we didn't want to risk any more filth by eating at the adjoining restaurant wether its owned by the same owner or not! Also ended up leaving not even a full day apon arrival as I was majorly disgusted in the very poor lack of hygiene there!!! Also the chocolate they had given us was stale as if it was sitting in the fridge for months.. And the bubbly was only worth $4 something! This place is pure filth!! They shouldnt be advertising vouchers that are so called worth over "$500" when the place is not hygienically clean & cheap! I will NEVER EVER be going back there again that's for sure!! And before we buy any other getaway vouchers I will be doing extreme research on the hotel beforehand!!

• Stayed May 2012
8 Thank TheCOclan
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Just back from a weekend at Oceanside on a voucher and was great .Was a little worried after some of the reviews . Had a spa room(we chose to upgrade) with giant sundrenched balcony sun lounges table and chairs ,plenty of space inside and out with everything you would expect from this style of room .Food was yummy and plentifull ,staff very attentive ,great location next to a fantastic beach with great outdoor pool ,spa ,bbq area .

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We spent three nights in a spa room on a Groupon voucher. Room had everything expected and had nice decor. We also had a huge balcony out the front which was very nice except for the first day which was pretty cold.

There was a problem with the Groupon voucher in that the deal said it included breakfast. We had our own so it didn't really matter but... what actually was offered was a $10 discount each morning if you spent $20 or more. I felt this was a bit deceitful. However everything else was fine including nice champagne and chocolates.

The restaurant and take away in the building are managed independently of the hotel and while things were nice overall, there were a few problems with service (take out needs a revamp).

Room Tip: Some spa suites have nice big balconies. The small amount extra seems to be worth it.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jastogo
Neutral Bay, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2012

After reading the reviews the day that we were due to go, we still decided to go as there was a mixture of reviews.
Upon arrival the Providence Unit had a strong musty smell to it, we then had a look around the rest of the unit and noticed that there was alot of rust behind the bathroom door, mould on the bathroom roof, filthy couch & courtyard. I decided to sit on a towel on the lounge and walk around in thongs the whole time as the carpet did not feel clean at all.
The place is dated and I was prepared for that given the location and price paid through the Our Deal website, however hygiene in places is a must for me and this place was not up to scratch at all.
You have to wash your own utensils etc. this is fine however the cleaning staff should check that these utensils are ok before renting out the units as the mugs had muck in the bottom of them I didn't want to use them at all. We went to the local supermarket and bought plastic everything.
The sheets & towels were clean and not stained so that was not a problem, however some reviews have mentioned this. The Queen bed was good it had no problems however the two singles were saggy & soft.
The facilities outside of the unit were good, free bicycle hire, clean electric BBQ, nice staff and extremely short walk to the beach.
We even had a staff offer us 2 boxes of Guylian chocolates randomly which was very sweet.
Hawks Nest was a great area, a little far for a weekend as it took almost 3 hours from Sydney CBD, however if I ever visited again I would not stay here and would not buy any group deal for motel/hotels again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank eeliechick
Blaxland
Reviewed 25 April 2012

This place was not up to my expectations. I expect clean. The whole place stank of mould and wee. The lounge that was covered with a throw over as we sat on it a pee smell wafted out. The bathroom had mould, hair, and pubes and dried up snot in it. The beds in the spare room had mould growing on the mattress bases. We found pubes in the main bed. There was water in the bottom of the coffee stained coffee cups. We didn’t bother looking any further into the cupboards.
Being an asthmatic I found it quite hard to breath in this place and at night I needed to use my Ventolin inhaler and that was with the window fully open, even though the young people were partying below us.
We were going to leave before the first night but stayed one night. Left ASAP in the morning only to find that they would not refund the extra night we had paid for even though there was more than 48 hours notice.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
#1 of 16 in Nelson Bay
Tea Gardens Hotel Motel
Tea Gardens Hotel Motel
#1 of 2 in Tea Gardens

Been to Oceanside Hawks Nest Motel? Share your experiences!