“Disgrace”

The Grand Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Kiama B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 May 2014

CHEAP & NASTY!!

Could hardly get into our room from how small it was , barely fitted the double bed that was in there! Nailed shut window, our towels had stains that looked like dry old blood, stains all over the floor, every wall had cracks through it, wires hanging from one of the walls. & Wasn't brave enough to get in the shower, who knows what was growing out of those tiles!!

Over all this place is certainly one to avoid!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
5  Thank EmmyLeeMcDonald

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Understandably an old hotel, but did not expect to be shown to a room where the window was nailed shut! There was no way I could sleep in that room with 3 children in the height of summer. We moved to another room which I was then told was an additional $50, which I refused to pay! This room was very nice with comfortable inner spring mattresses on the bunks!
You get what you pay for!

Room Tip: Room was clean but there wasn't a cleaner in sight for the shared bathrooms!
3  Thank Margiepargie65
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This is 'pub accommodation' which adds a new meaning to the word basic. Avoid unless you are destitute. On the more positive side it was quiet by the time we went to bed, the toilets and shower rooms were functional and Kiama itself is a lovely little town. I'm surprised no one has bothered to invest in the hotel which is in a high street location.

3  Thank Michael B
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

When we arrived we where pointed up stairs to our room by a very disinterested staff member which should have been our first warning sign but after navigating the maze of upstairs we finally found our rooms and what lied behind the doors was the best surprise yet.
In our room was a double and two singles with all the trimmings you just wouldn't expect.Now I'm no princess but what lied behind the doors was even more of a surprise then I could ever imagine.there where Stains on the floor of the white variety (I really hope it's isn't what I thought it was)
Lovely white towels with all sorts of stains on them one that could only be discribed as a faeces
Oh and the lovely beds with the bugs in them now I am not unuse to sleeping alone but I do prefer the two legged kind and not the 6-8 legged kind and please don't expect the window to open as they prefer to screw them shut or that a fan could be supplied. if I knew it was going to be a byo fan place I would have packed better.
When the police and ambos where there when we got back from going and buying our own towels and fan we where desperately hoping we had to leave but nope.
I know this is a pub an I have stayed in pubs before but the filth and the horried way this place is kept is a disgrace would it really hurt anyone to clean it fix the wiring that's hanging out fix the windows that won't open or at the very lest fix the bathroom sink so that when you brush your teeth you don't get wet feet because the water runs out of the drain instead of down it across the floor. This was one of the worse places I have ever had to stayed in.
Why did we just not leave I hear you say well that answer is simple we where here to bury a love one the next day and we had travel 7 hours to get there and we where exhausted and kept telling ourselves it's just one night but that one night is something I will never forget.

Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank Jaseki
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Let me start by saying I've stayed in plenty of pubs rooms throughout my travels and I know they not usually anything too flash but let me tell you this is most definitely the worst! The noise didn't bother me, the music was quite good actually. However I did find the stench when we opened my door quite off putting. To partner the smell there was what looked like to me white body fluids on the uncleaned floor, I keep trying to convince myself its paint. I like to keep an open mind. I thought maybe if I open the window the stench may waft out that way but to my dismay the window was screwed shut. Feeling a little scared and sorry I sat on the bed wondering what my next move would be, was not expecting it to be steadying my sister as the mattress she sat on half slid onto the floor. At this point I thought well we've endured the worst already so it can only get better from here. How wrong I was. I layed back on the bed contemplating what I should do when I started to itch all over. What the hell! Thinking maybe a shower would make me feel better I grabbed a towel and headed for the shower, lucky for me my sister looked at the towel as she picked it up and saw brown streaks on it. Still don't want to think about what it might actually be! Time to regroup my thoughts. I sent my dad, who was also staying in another room, to see if they could swap the towels, the room or at least provide a fan but unfortunately none of the above were available. So my sisters and I drove to a neighbouring town to purchase our own fan and towels. End result we bought 3 towels each, one to lay under us, one for over us and one to lay our heads on. Oh and thongs to wear in the shower! Wires exposed, holes in the walls, most light globes missing, broken windows (kinda wished ours was smashed like some of the others), the only smoke detector in sight was beeping the whole time but on the upside we had a power point!! Police and ambulance also attended after a terrible fight, what was a little scary is nobody seemed fazed by this. Arrived home last night have showered 4 times and am still itchy!! What the hell!! Do yourself a favour and dont stay here!! Really sad as a couple of the guys that worked there were really nice, the girl was just rude. Oh n "the cleaner" who gave me dirty looks as we walked out with our fan is just lucky my parents brought me up to be polite!!

Room Tip: Dont stay here
4  Thank tessymouse
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I stayed in the hotel on a Thursday night with a friend. We both had single rooms on the upper top floor away from most of the noise. I didn't have any trouble sleeping. Yes the place needs repairs but I had a positive experience there despite this.Our rooms had locked doors and we were given our own keys. I had a small bar fridge in my room which was useful although there was also a communal fridge available with milk/coffee or tea available nearby. There was also a TV around there as well which I noticed another tourist using while he ate takeaway. Both our rooms had power points so no trouble recharging our phones. What impressed me most was that the service was friendly. Staff were both courteous and accomodating. We ended up eating in the hotel restaurant. The menu available was limited, however the cook was willing to "change" a pasta dish to meet my needs as a vegetarian. We both enjoyed our meal which was a generous size. I came armed with bug spray, but I didn't see or get eaten by anything. Hopefully repairs will be done to this grand old building in the future.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise. Weekends have band nights.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karen M
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I stayed at the Grand Hotel, Kiama on the last weekend in September 2013 so that I could attend the 'Folk by the Sea' Festival. One must remember that it's a pub with all that means regarding noise and behaviours, Room 17 was a single room with a single bed, a bedside chest of drawers and a bin, but no power point. It was clean and I couldn't hear any noise from the bar below. As I needed electricity to run my CPAP machine I asked Kaytlyn if I could change rooms to the one next door. I waited no more than 30 minutes for this to happen and then picked up a key later that evening. Again, Room 18 was very basic but it was clean and the bed was very comfortable. I could even open the window too! I was told that the pub was booked out for Friday and Saturday nights but I didn't have to wait for the shared bathroom and it was as though I was the only person there. I managed to leave my Kindle behind and after a couple of phone calls Kaytlyn posted it back to me. The Hotel is situated in a very good spot allowing me to park the car and not use it all weekend. Some lovely walks in the area too. After reading some of the previous reviews I was wondering what I had gotten myself into, but I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Remember to ask if there is a power point in the room!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Lynne R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kiama
The Sebel Harbourside Kiama
Kiama Shores Motel
Kiama Shores Motel
#3 of 11 in Kiama
Jamberoo Pub & the Saleyard Motel

Been to The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!