“Great food, great service”

Kai Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 78 Restaurants in Kiama
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I feel a little insulted by the previous reviewer, how dare he insult happy customers by claiming we had only eaten at low standard Japanese eateries, let me assure you the tuna is not frozen as is any other fish, my company delivers to this restaurant, Personally I am sick of Sydney "experts"coming down to the south coast and writing unfounded and malicious reviews behind a cloak of secrecy and waddle back to Sydney. if the restaurant was so bad why did you not leave, great food and service and I will be back next time I am in town. Keep up the good work Kia .

3  Thank mark f

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

This places serves average Japanese at best. Well done to offer Japanese out of the big city but they may not fare so well in a city with the generally higher standard Japanese food served. If you are a very familiar with good Japanese, this place will not really impress.

If I were to critique the food, the main complaint was the soggy (frozen) tuna Sashimi.

The main issue I had and why I would never return is the female owner who works the floor is a rude arrogant person who I think is in the wrong business.

She snapped at us twice over a perfectly reasonable request to move away from the cold windy front table. Totally rude.

I heard her snap at other customers who walked out and also at the pleasant waitress.

Totally unacceptable and we wished we'd eaten at one if the many nice cafés or other restaurants in Kiama.

They were in no hurry to assist in our request either.

They also didn't bring our drinks till half way through the meal. Didn't deliver the Miso soups at all after 2 reminders and then saying they were on the way.

They then tried to charge for the soups and desserts we didn't order.

Even if the food was sensational ( it was the lowest level we've had in years in Australia and we eat Japanese regularly) the evening was ruined by the rude owner.

I'd suggest a career change.

I'd say the reviewers were not that experienced with Japanese food.

8  Thank ScambusterSZ
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Dined at Kai for lunch midweek. There were a couple of other tables dining, all locals who knew the waitress by she them therefore if the locals were returning it must be good! The restaurant is small and I would recommend booking in advance if dining on a Friday or Saturday night, it was a modern restaurant with pleasant music and a nice atmosphere. Service was friendly, meals weren't huge but they were tasty, prices were reasonable. I would return to this restaurant if I were visiting Kiama again.

3  Thank Rene S
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Have been 3 times and had excellent meals every time. The tasting plate is terrific and a good way to try a selection. Service good and food cooked fresh so takes a little time.

2  Thank John G
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Booked and arrived 10 minutes early. Dressed in Kmart clothes and turned away with a pregnant wife to wait on a freezing night in kiama to wait another 10 minutes even though seats were available! Dress like a yuppie toget acceptance here!

1  Thank Martin B