“Disappointing.”

Ranked #12 of 81 Restaurants in Kiama
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 March 2014

The restaurant looks great. Really modern, fun decor, well done. The staff are very nice. No problems there. Very disappointed in the food. Extensive menu, some strange combinations but we'll try anything. The food was just bland, actually tasteless and boring. Most of the meats on the menu were of the "pulled" variety as in shredded

1  Thank Barbara P

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We have been to this restaurant twice. This would have to be one of the most badly run restaurants I have ever been to, the maitre'd of this restaurant is useless. Next time we will walk that bit further and go to the other Mexican Restaurant in town.
The restaurant has a large undercover outdoor terrace, indoor seating and a casual bar area.
The first time we visited was Valentines Day. We called to make a booking. There was serious reluctance to offer up any of the outside table as all the inside tables were booked. We insisted we were happy to sit outside. When we arrived, not all of the inside tables were taken and even less of the outside terrace tables were taken. The bar seating area was empty. We enjoyed our meal on the terrace looking at the ocean. The food was nice and the wait staff were fine too. We noticed many couples arriving presumably without an appointment leaving not long after walking in the door. It seemed odd, as there were a number of outside tables on the terrace that were free and of the course the bar area was free too.
Last weekend we had a friend visiting us who likes Mexican food. So we headed down the road to El Corazon at 7.30pm without a making a booking.
There were a number of two seat table inside that were free and most of the tables on the terrace were free. And the bar area was also empty. The maitre'd however informed us they were fully booked. Seeing all the available tables, we presumed perhaps a number of tables had been booked but no one had shown up. Or perhaps a table would eat and leave freeing up there table. Or perhaps even offer to add a 3rd chair to a two seat table? So we said to the maitre'd we would sit in the bar and wait for a table to become available. The maitre'd tried to discourage us from using the bar. She said the tables are too high for the bar stools and too narrow to eat from. This is all true, however, as a place to make customer wait, have a drink and some snacks its perfectly fine.
We ordered drinks and some snacks and waited. The tables on the terrace remained vacant the whole time we were there. We realised after 90 minutes and our second drink the maitre'd had forgotten about us.
When we were leaving to pay for our snack and drinks, we noticed a number of tables free in the restaurant as well a number of 6 seater booths with only 2 people sitting in them.
The maître'd admitted forgetting about us (obviously no note had been made). I think this maitre'd is too young and inexperienced to be running a restaurant and is certainly not maximising the number of people the restaurant is able to seat. So many people seemed to be turned away all the time when there are available tables.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

I work as a waitress and would say I am a very mean judge when it comes to restaurants, the judging begins from the first call I make to book. I booked online for alfresco dining and called 2 days to confirm my booking which they had. Tick 1. The weather was stormy and I was calling to see what options I had in the event it would rain. I was informed that I was going to receive a text message the day of and could confirm my booking for either inside or out. I requested a window seat inside and the girl was regretful to tell me they were accommodating a large function which was going to take up the whole window. I felt she genuinely tried her best to try to accommodate my request. It rained all day so I texted to say inside. On arrival at the front desk I was advised that they had given my partner and I a window table, Wow instantly happy tick 2. The place was buzzing and their were people of all ages and groups enjoying the atmosphere. Drink service was quick, food was ordered and severed very timely considering it was peak time on a Saturday night. The house tequila was actually good and the expresso martini for dessert fabulous. From start to finish the experience was excellent. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.
This is also my first review as I felt it should be commended for its overall experience. Thank you El Corazon Cocina de Mexico I will be back :)

1  Thank Sarah H
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our first experience at El Corazon, firstly our reservation was correct ( unlike 2 other restaurants in Kiama who have difficulty with this aspect of their business), the staff were attentive and extremely pleasant, and the food was good and plentiful. The service was fast despite it being a reasonably busy night.

1  Thank Juliette S
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Living in a small town it's always big news when a new restaurant opens. I'd heard good things about this place and on Saturday night it turned out we were child free and able to have a dinner date. El Corazon was pleasantly surprising, the decor is funky and mexican inspired and it's nice to have the lovely view of Kiama Harbour to stare at as there aren't many restaurants in town with this view. The menu is great with loads to chose from. We shared the buffalo wings for entree which were probably the best I've had. I had the Prawn and Chorizo (Camarones y chorizo ola diablo) with tomato corn salsa, pickled red cabbage, soft tortillas and coriander sauce. I really enjoyed it and the serving was huge. My husband got the Nachos with Pulled Pork, he enjoyed it and was glad he stayed with the entree size as it was very generous and filled him. We shared the Red Wine Sangria which was way to easy to drink. The cocktail list is quite extensive and fun looking. Oh dessert, even though we were stuffed we shared the Coconut Brûlée. the brûlée itself was perfect, with a perfectly caramelised top that had that satisfying crack to it, with rich creamy custard underneath. Didn't quite get what the coconut part was, it came with three shards of very dry inedible coconut flesh on top and a lime and cheese tasting mascarpone tasting cream..... I think a scoop of homemade coconut ice-cream would probably be a better topping. Other than that it was a great meal and the staff were very friendly, helpful and efficient. We will definitely go back and I have a feeling this will become a really popular well frequented restaurant especially if they can maintain the current standards in service, food and atmosphere.

1  Thank Claireeliz