“Great food .. Great service!”

El Corazon Cocina de Mexico
Ranked #10 of 76 Restaurants in Kiama
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Groups, Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, View, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Great food .. Great service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

My husband & I went to this restaurant whilst on holidays. We have never been to a Mexican Restaurant before, although we are fond of home-made tacos! Not quite knowing what to order, we asked one of the wait staff. She was extremely helpful, pointing out the best choices if we wanted to share (which we did). The meal she suggested was a sizzling platter, heaped full of our selection of chicken, beef or prawns. We chose the prawns & beef ... both were cooked to perfection with a yummy sauce, on a bed of caramelised onions & chillies. Included were all the Mexican sides one would expect, such as guacamole, habanero chillies, refried black beans, rice, chutneys, salsa & a beautifully fresh, shaved beetroot & greens salad. There was so much food, we (almost) couldn't finish it! Everything was enhanced by the fact that as chilli lovers, we could choose from lots of different bottles of chilli sauces, all of which were displayed on a special wall & had fun names (can't name them here!). We would definitely recommend this restaurant as it was beautifully clean, well-presented, the food was great & the wait staff friendly, helpful & competent, without being intrusive. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit & will be back again when in town!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Della B

Kiama, Australia
“Disappointing.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

The restaurant looks great. Really modern, fun decor, well done. The staff are very nice. No problems there. Very disappointed in the food. Extensive menu, some strange combinations but we'll try anything. The food was just bland, actually tasteless and boring. Most of the meats on the menu were of the "pulled" variety as in shredded

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Barbara P
Kiama, Australia
“visited twice, but wouldnt go again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We have been to this restaurant twice. This would have to be one of the most badly run restaurants I have ever been to, the maitre'd of this restaurant is useless. Next time we will walk that bit further and go to the other Mexican Restaurant in town.
The restaurant has a large undercover outdoor terrace, indoor seating and a casual bar area.
The first time we visited was Valentines Day. We called to make a booking. There was serious reluctance to offer up any of the outside table as all the inside tables were booked. We insisted we were happy to sit outside. When we arrived, not all of the inside tables were taken and even less of the outside terrace tables were taken. The bar seating area was empty. We enjoyed our meal on the terrace looking at the ocean. The food was nice and the wait staff were fine too. We noticed many couples arriving presumably without an appointment leaving not long after walking in the door. It seemed odd, as there were a number of outside tables on the terrace that were free and of the course the bar area was free too.
Last weekend we had a friend visiting us who likes Mexican food. So we headed down the road to El Corazon at 7.30pm without a making a booking.
There were a number of two seat table inside that were free and most of the tables on the terrace were free. And the bar area was also empty. The maitre'd however informed us they were fully booked. Seeing all the available tables, we presumed perhaps a number of tables had been booked but no one had shown up. Or perhaps a table would eat and leave freeing up there table. Or perhaps even offer to add a 3rd chair to a two seat table? So we said to the maitre'd we would sit in the bar and wait for a table to become available. The maitre'd tried to discourage us from using the bar. She said the tables are too high for the bar stools and too narrow to eat from. This is all true, however, as a place to make customer wait, have a drink and some snacks its perfectly fine.
We ordered drinks and some snacks and waited. The tables on the terrace remained vacant the whole time we were there. We realised after 90 minutes and our second drink the maitre'd had forgotten about us.
When we were leaving to pay for our snack and drinks, we noticed a number of tables free in the restaurant as well a number of 6 seater booths with only 2 people sitting in them.
The maître'd admitted forgetting about us (obviously no note had been made). I think this maitre'd is too young and inexperienced to be running a restaurant and is certainly not maximising the number of people the restaurant is able to seat. So many people seemed to be turned away all the time when there are available tables.

• Visited March 2014
Wollongong, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoyable atmosphere with great service and a view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I work as a waitress and would say I am a very mean judge when it comes to restaurants, the judging begins from the first call I make to book. I booked online for alfresco dining and called 2 days to confirm my booking which they had. Tick 1. The weather was stormy and I was calling to see what options I had in the event it would rain. I was informed that I was going to receive a text message the day of and could confirm my booking for either inside or out. I requested a window seat inside and the girl was regretful to tell me they were accommodating a large function which was going to take up the whole window. I felt she genuinely tried her best to try to accommodate my request. It rained all day so I texted to say inside. On arrival at the front desk I was advised that they had given my partner and I a window table, Wow instantly happy tick 2. The place was buzzing and their were people of all ages and groups enjoying the atmosphere. Drink service was quick, food was ordered and severed very timely considering it was peak time on a Saturday night. The house tequila was actually good and the expresso martini for dessert fabulous. From start to finish the experience was excellent. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.
This is also my first review as I felt it should be commended for its overall experience. Thank you El Corazon Cocina de Mexico I will be back :)

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Sarah H
“They know what service is”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed our first experience at El Corazon, firstly our reservation was correct ( unlike 2 other restaurants in Kiama who have difficulty with this aspect of their business), the staff were attentive and extremely pleasant, and the food was good and plentiful. The service was fast despite it being a reasonably busy night.

Visited February 2014