“A slice of country bliss”
Review of Feathers Home Stay

Feathers Home Stay
Ranked #1 of 4 Kyogle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I was taking a motorcycle trip from Sydney to Brisbane and picked Feathers because of its great reviews on Tripadvisor. Personal experiences are very subjective but, for me, I totally agree with those who rate this delightful place as excellent. Feathers is a 10 minute drive from Kyogle with the last 4km being on a dirt road so you really do feel that you are out in the sticks. The welcome from Peter and Linda is very warm and my motorcycle was found a place inside their garage. The old style house has been delightfully restored and the two large guest bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms are at the front of the house overlooking the paddocks. I had booked dinner which was a delicious plate of Moroccan lamb - and if this was anything to go by, Linda must be an incredible cook! Peter had forewarned me to bring my own alcohol if I wanted a drink with dinner so I had picked this up at the IGA in Kyogle. As it was a beautiful morning, breakfast was set up on the big round table on the front verandah. Table cloth, wonderful fresh fruit, yogurt and muesli plus a hearty plate of bacon and eggs with toast. A wonderful night in the country, great hosts and superb value for money. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Linda R, Owner at Feathers Home Stay, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Thank you very much for your review our little place. We are delighted with your comments, and very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We enjoyed meeting you and sharing some experiences and ideas. You might be interested to note I have since bought a 'new' 'modern' hair dryer, Ha Ha. Please be assured you are most welcome here, anytime.

Cheers - we wish you a very happy new year.

Best regards

Reviewed 21 October 2013

This was our first night away in about 18mths and it ticked all the boxes.
After riding down the Lions Rd from Brisbane with friends and having lunch in Kyogle, we detoured to Feathers on the way home, after booking a 1 night stay.
There wasn't one stand out thing, as everything was excellent, and I couldn't rate one aspect of our stay any less.
From the tranquil country surroundings, the immaculate home and rooms, the best bed I've ever slept on, and home cooked food worthy of any restaurant.
Linda and Peter make you feel like old friends from the time they greet you at the end of the driveway, no request is a problem, and they are also seasoned travelers so we enjoyed swapping stories and experiences from our travels.
If you're after a relaxing time away from the everyday grind, then this is it.
Thanks Linda and Peter, our stay last weekend was as memorable as anywhere we've been in the world...............and yes, we will be back !!!
Steve and Sarina

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank blacksteve
Linda R, Owner at Feathers Home Stay, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you Steve and Sarina, your kind words mean a lot to us.

We do love our business and always wish our guests enjoy their time with us, as much as we enjoy their company.

We were delighted to meet you both and to have so much in common was a bonus - many places and many experiences to share.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

Have a great ride down the Lions Road

Best Regards

Lina & Peter

Reviewed 3 October 2013

That mantra by Frank Costanza from Seinfeld came to mind several times while I stayed with Peter & Linda for 4 days. There was however one big difference: unlike Frank I was conjuring the expression to epitomize the peaceful, relaxing oasis I'd been lucky enough to find in Wiangaree, only 8 minutes drive from Kyogle and close to the Border Park National Reserve.

For me, and for most travellers, homestays are all about the hosts, the rooms & amenities, the views & milieu, and the food. Hosts Peter and Linda were a joy - friendly, solicitous, witty, well organized, knowledgeable, and down-to-earth. Busy though they were, they always had time for a chat and are a font of knowledge about Wiangaree, Kyogle and environs. The rooms are a delight. They are spacious, well appointed and tastefully furnished. The beds are splendidly soporific - huge, comfortable yet firm. One is not confined to the bedroom either - Peter and Linda provide several rooms to spread out, including a well-stocked reading/listening room and a guest's kitchen. I'm a shower nozzle freak and Feathers were big, infinitely adjustable, and the 'hot' and 'cold' were exactly as advertised (a rarity in itself) - the kind of shower power that makes you glad to be alive. The verandahs were spacious and afforded splendid views of nearby dairy farms and east to the McPherson Ranges. I'm no twitcher, but the wealth and variety of birdlife was impressive without being cacophonous.

Lastly...food, glorious food!!! Other reviews have praised Linda's skills as a chef, and rightly so. She is versatile, she cooks with flair and imagination, her servings are generous, and her extensive travels locally and abroad are deliciously reflected in her gastronomy. I'd happily maim for Linda's omelettes and her rose ice cream is to die for. On two evenings I invited Messrs Joe Ide and Stephen Phillips, long time Kyogle residents and two dear friends of 40 years' standing, to partake of Linda and Peter's fine fare and hospitality. They were both hugely impressed.

Will I be back? Like Arnie, will I ever!! As a Brisbane resident and ex-Kyogle denizen, I have found Feathers to be outstanding in every respect. Thank you Peter & Linda, for making my stay so pleasurable. Be in no doubt that I'll be spreading the word in Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and beyond.

Wayne Zeller

Room Tip: Both rooms were splendid.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Linda R, Owner at Feathers Home Stay, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

Dear Wayne

Thank you so much for the wonderful review for our little place.

We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was entertaining for us to meet such an erudite person with lots of interests and knowledge, it made for good conversations.

Witnessing your revisit to this area after so many absent years and your meetings with old friends, sharing memories, music, food and laughter clearly gave you a lot of pleasure and we were delighted to be able to be a small part of that.

We had a good time too Wayne and we look forward to your next visit

Kind Regards

Reviewed 14 September 2013

We drove down the Lions Rd from Brisbane to Kyogle.............and had booked with Linda and Peter at Feathers. Out in the country here!....and their ducks are there to greet us. Where else would you get cappuccino slice and almond shortbread for afternoon tea? To sit on the verandah at dusk as the mountain changed colour........the cows called to each other.......... the cicadas and the kookaburras in full voice, was magic.
They have renovated this old house beautifully.........so in keeping with the ambience I was thrilled with the whiff of sweet peas as I walked down the hallway! A huge bowl of them in wonderful colours, from their garden!
Linda is a fabulous cook ........and the dinner and breakfast was magnificent.
Her childhood stay in Sri Lanka comes through in her very innovative ,delicious food !
Peter is a natural lovely kind host , a pleasure to be around.
Hospitality Heaven..............give yourself a treat....we loved it .

Room Tip: Both rooms lovely
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Linda R, Owner at Feathers Home Stay, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Thank you Gena for your lovely review.

Your stay with us was our first experience of having fellow B&B owners who are also foodies, as guests and we were not sure quite what to expect. It was fantastic, both you and Garth are very interesting, enthusiastic people who are also very generous with information about the industry. Plus (a very big plus) you also enjoy your B&B business as much as we do ours and share very similar ideals to us regarding quality and service.

We enjoyed your stay with us very much and yes, we will be delighted to come as guests to your place in Brisbane sometime in the near future.

Regards

Reviewed 22 May 2013

Discovering Feathers was a a great experience. Linda and Peter have a beautiful property set in sight of the Border Ranges to provide an amazing vista to enjoy while relaxing on the verandah.
The country-house has been fastidiously restored with amazing detail to ensure a comfortable and relaxing stay.
As previous guests have observed, Linda is a fabulous cook!!!
I thoroughly recommend making the journey to Kyogle to experience true country-style hospitality.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sally C

Thank you Sally for your very kind words. It was lovely to meet both you and Craig and we are delighted to know you enjoyed your time with us.
I am sorry for the delayed response but as you know we were due to leave the country shortly after you stayed. I did infact write a thank you before we went but I must have done something wrong when I uploaded it and have only just noticed. So please accept my sincere apologies.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

Thank you so much Linda and Peter for your generous hospitality. Our stay was perfect.

We felt nurtured by the energy of the house which is light, open and welcoming. Comfortable bed, spacious, charming rooms opening onto wide verandah with expansive views of surrounding country.

We can't remember when we last enjoyed such delicious, lovingly prepared and presented food. Linda you are an amazing cook!

It's worth making a detour to Wiangaree for this experience.

A big thank you from Anyaa & Geoff

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Linda R, Owner at Feathers Home Stay, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Thank you Anyaa and Geoff for your very kind words - we enjoyed meeting you both and sharing our happy environment, and sharing and laughing about our past youthful experiences.

I must say it is always lovely to cook for people who take the time to enjoy the combination of senses of look, smell and taste.

Kind regards

Reviewed 20 April 2013

A real WOW made to feel at home and welcome immediately by Peter and Linda, stress disapeared the moment you hop out of the car. The house has been restored and is just living in history.Sitting on front veranda and a meal to die for I litteraly put my fork down on the first bite to just enjoy the flavor and then each bite was the same one clever lady is Linda. Linda took me out to her vegie garden and we picked our meal just wonderful,I had curried fish just insane. The rooms look out to the sunrise my favorite time of day the bed will fix any aches n pains and breakfast was so spoily I cant rave enough about this little self sufficiant farm just had a wonderful time could saty forever Thankyou Linda and Peterand to Glen n Rose my boss at Gold Coast Boarding Kennels for treating me =D

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Linda R, Owner at Feathers Home Stay, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2013

We were delighted to have you stay with us. Thank you very much for the kind review and for photo's you have posted on this site - I must say they have come up very well. We hope the other photo's and sketches you did whilst you were here inspire you in your new the art course. We wish you joy and great success.

Kindest regards

Linda & Peter

Been to Feathers Home Stay? Share your experiences!