“Comb the best spots on LHI from Beachcomber Lodge”
Review of Beachcomber Lodge

Beachcomber Lodge
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The lodge is located within short distances from the Malabar Hill, Ned's Beach and the Clear Place Point. The latter is where you can see the Ball's Pyramid if you do not wish to go out on a boat. But if you do want a close view on a boat,owner Gary has a boat and can organise the sea outing. The one bedroom suite that I rented was very clean (thanks to owner Therese and her team) with comfortable beds and pillows. I loved the yummy cookies that owner Una lovingly baked for her guests and ensured that the cookies jar was replenished daily during the stay. The restaurant served delicious gourmet burgers on Wed and Sat nights. If you want to eat elsewhere for dinner, Gary gladly takes you to your restaurant in his little bus. There's a grocery and fresh vege shop (Top Shop) a little distance uphill from the lodge if you do want to whip your meals up in your own suite; the kitchen has fry pan, microwave and a toaster. Great place to stay on LHI!

Room Tip: Go for the one bedroom suites for more space between travel companions.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Gary_Payten, Owner at Beachcomber Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear HANST381,

Thank you for taking the time to write Beachcomber such an awesome review! I am very happy to hear you found the location of our lodge great, as well as the accommodation comfortable and clean. Una will be so pleased that you enjoyed her biscuits which are supplied in every room and replenished daily. They seem to be extremely popular with our guests, and even locals!
Thank you for choosing to dine in our restaurant, and I'm glad that you got to try our delicious burgers!
I hope we can take care of you again on your next visit to our beautiful piece of paradise! Once again, thank you!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Absolutely wonderful.
Huge room with all the facilities.
Picked up & dropped off at the airport and given a small tour around this beautiful island.
Great Hamburgers on burger night.
Lots of walks nearby and some good fishing spots.
Prices at shops were not as expensive as one thought or made to believe.
Would recommend Lord Howe as a great place to relax.

Dear David G,

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review!! I am so glad you found your One-Bedroom Apartment spacious and in a great location. I'm also happy to hear you enjoyed our burgers (they are the best!) and found your holiday relaxing. Lord Howe is a wonderful place to getaway from all the stresses you find in everyday life, especially with no mobile phone reception.
I hope that we can take care of you again if you choose to return to our beautiful island in the future!

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed here in August 2013 and where so impressed that we returned in April 2014. Gary is great and really ensures you have a great stay, if the weather is good, ask him for a ride out to Ball's Pyramid in his boat, the boat may look small but it is stable, very dry and fast! I love the polished floor boards as being on an island you do bring a bit of sand back with you at times so it is easy to keep clean, which by the way, is not the guest's problem as during our 9 night stay we were impressed by the daily sweep and clean of our apartment and even a mid stay linen change. There is also a guest lounge with heaps of DVD's to choose from to play on the provided DVD player in your own little lounge. Our room included a kitchen but with the great dining on the island it was only used for breakfast and a couple of times when we cooked some freshly caught Kingfish on the lovely BBQ facilities provided. What I like about Beachcomber lodge is how small it is, you really feel like you are just staying in a big house rather than motel style accommodation. Only downside if you like to sleep in is that the wood floors tend to echo a bit, I am an early riser so just ensured I walked out with my socks on and then put my shoes on outside at the steps to the garden

Room Tip: We have stayed in rooms 1 and 3 and enjoyed both
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hallett505
Gary_Payten, Owner at Beachcomber Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Hallett505,

Thank you so much (again!) for taking the time out to write such an amazing review for Beachcomber Lodge! I am really glad that you chose Beachcomber for a second time, and enjoyed it just as much as the first time you visited!
I always look forward to taking our guests out to Ball's Pyramid when the weather is good - and I totally agree with you, it is a small boat, but is completely safe, stable and comfortable, with it only being a few years old.
The polished timber floors in our apartments are relatively new, and it is so much easier to keep clean! Thank you for being so considerate towards our other guests in terms of noise. I am aware that a downside of timber floors is noise echo, and it is definitely something we are looking into.
I'm glad that you found our daily room service impressive, and I think it is important, particularly for the added luxury of a holiday!
Again, I am so glad to hear how much you enjoyed all our facilities and accommodation at Beachcomber, and I also love the fact that we can really get to know our guests because it is only a small, family-run business. We hope to look after you again on your next visit to our beautiful island!

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We just let our travel agent choose our accommodation on Lord Howe, the only pre requisite we had was that we wanted breakfast each morning at the hotel. The lodgeing was very clean, comfortable and roomy. Plenty of room to cook etc in the little kitchen, which looked like it had barely been used! Our room was with the dining room part in which there were 3 rooms. We all shared a lovely balcony looking over the garden, which was very nice. Dinner was available in the dining room 3 or 4 nights a week, and was also open to the public as well and was well attended each time. Food there was very nice and not expensive as you might think. I was a little bemused one night though when we went down the road for dinner, and came back home with a bottle of wine we were going to share on our lovely verandah that evening, only to find people sitting at our table and chairs out the front of our room eating dinner!! The other two rooms had the same problem! I found this very disappointing........ but we didn't spoil it for the diners, and just joked around with them so they didn't feel too uncomfortable about it. The owners should think about that little problem.

But aside from that, things were pretty good and I was happy. Breakfast could do with a little more variation though.

One important thing to consider with this accommodation is its location. There is a little bit of a hill that you have to negotiate if you walk or ride into town or the beaches. If you have some issues with health or fitness, you will have to take it easy. You could always get Gary to drop you off where you want to go.

Something to bear in mind too is that they will take you to any of the restaurants that you want to go to, but they like to take you at a set time, so just ask them before you book. It seems that all the restaurants will take you back home, but make sure you take a torch!

1  Thank Dennis S
Gary_Payten, Owner at Beachcomber Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Dennis S,

Thank you so much for a wonderful review! I really appreciate you taking the time to write a review about Beachcomber and it's facilities. I'm very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found it comfortable, clean and relaxing!
I do sincerely apologies for restaurant guests making use of your private balcony facilities. We do ask our staff to inform guests not to use them when the rooms are occupied, however sometimes this is not communicated and they do get used. I really hope it did not spoil your stay at Beachcomber, and I will continue to ensure restaurant guests do not use the balcony settings.

As you mentioned, there is a moderate incline up to Beachcomber Lodge (and other lodges, restaurants and shops), so it is important when choosing your accommodation as to it's location. However, we feel it is definitely not strenuous, and can be taken at any pace! I am also happy to drive guests around should they need to go anywhere, and there are hire cars available at a few places around the island if guests are not comfortable riding or walking, have health issues, etc. At Beachcomber, we provide a courtesy bus for our guests to any restaurant of any evening, and all restaurants provide a courtesy bus home, which makes it easy for everyone!

We feel there is sufficient variation with our breakfast menu, with a set continental breakfast, daily variations with our hot breakfasts (but always including eggs any style and bacon), tea and coffee. Additionally, if guests have any dietary requirements we do ask for the details in advance so that we can be prepared for them.

Again thank you for your honest feedback, and do hope we can look after you on your next visit to our beautiful island!

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Lord Howe Island is an essential destination for any age. We as a family enjoyed 7 nights staying at the Beachcomber Lodge. The accommodation was very good, nice & clean & well maintained. We had our first meal at the bowling club, the food was excellent and very well priced. We also dined at the Beachcomber Lodge Restaurant & experienced a similar standard. If you want to see both ends of the island I suggest you hire a bike & be prepared to push it up a few hills depending upon your level of fitness. We chose to send 3 weeks prior to our stay some basic food stuffs via Australia Post. This was to save us some money as it enabled us to prepare some basic family meals without having to go out to eat. During our stay we enjoyed going to several beautiful beaches, had some great walks, great snorkelling with beautiful coral, enjoyed swimming with fish & turtles & thoroughly enjoy the tamed bird life. Our family found Lord Howe Island to be a brilliant holiday destination, only 2 hours flight from Sydney, so much to discover & do, great places to eat either for breakfast, lunch or dinner, (beware the food is a little pricey but the quality was excellent including fresh meat, fish & produce from the Top Shop which is located just behind Beachcomber Lodge. Our first impression when you arrive by plane is you are landing in the Cook Islands or Tahiti. The landscape is absolutely breathtaking! Would we return to Lord Howe Island .... ABSOLUTELY YES .... & we can not wait to do so. What a relaxing, peaceful & fun holiday on Lord Howe Island.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Michele D

Dear Michele D,

Thank you for writing such a fantastic review! I really appreciate the time you have taken to paint a beautiful image of Lord Howe Island, and of Beachcomber Lodge and Restaurant. I'm so glad your family had a dream holiday on Lord Howe - it truly is the perfect family holiday destination.

A lot of people choose to post basic food supplies and extra items through Australia Post as our grocery shops are a bit more expensive then Woolworths of Coles, as we have to add on freight (which is expensive!), and Qantas have a very strict limit on luggage. Eating out at restaurants, the quality of food served is excellent and fairly priced. Beachcomber is located close to restaurants and grocery stores, including the Top Shop, if you want to buy fresh fish, meat, fruit or vegetables for dinner which you can cook in your room or at our BBQ facilities.

I really hope your family can enjoy another holiday back on beautiful Lord Howe, and I hope we can look after you again on your next visit!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We had a lovely short break at Lord Howe Island and our choice of accommodation certainly helped. We were picked up from the airport by the proprietor, Gary and given an island fact-finding tour on the way to the lodge. Our rooms were spacious and well equipped, tidy and well maintained. We really enjoyed being able to sit on the verandah of the main block overlooking lush gardens and enjoy the various bird life that exists on the island - our one small criticism would be that it is next to the restaurant and on the nights the restaurant is open we would more than likely find people helping themselves to the table and chairs outside our room. Fine if you are not there but a bit annoying otherwise. A recommendation might be to put a sign up saying for residents use only, or something like that. However that never detracted from a very relaxing stay. The staff were all very friendly and helpful - Gary was always on hand to take us to wherever we needed to get to but, of course, the best mode of transport is to hire a bike and cycle wherever you want to go. Island life is so relaxed that you can just leave your bikes wherever, go off and do your thing and come back and find your bikes still there where you left them. I would thoroughly recommend staying here (and of course visiting this beautiful little slice of heaven where life is lived the way we should all live it - relaxed, friendly and uncomplicated).

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank fiwat123

Dear fiwat123,

Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review for Beachcomber! We are very lucky to live on such a beautiful, relaxed island, and I'm glad you got to get a feel for the island lifestyle!
It's great to hear you found your room comfortable and well equipped.
I do apologise for restaurant guests using your private facilities. We definitely do try to avoid having dinner customers using the room's private outdoor settings, and usually do let them know they are not for use. However, from time to time, it does happen, and I sincerely apologise. I hope it was not too much of an inconvenience for you.
Again, I greatly appreciate your review and feedback, and look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stopped our first 2 out of our 7 nights at Beachcombers on this absolutely magical island. Gary picked us up at the airport and provided us with an informative and friendly introduction to the island and it's facilities. Our room was spotless and comfortable. Experienced two breakfasts that were included in the price and went to the Saturday's gourmet hamburger night. Breakfast was excellent although the second day there were much fewer extra side options available. Fresh oranges for juicing was a nice touch and the breakfasts were well cooked. Our waitress for breakfast and tea was very pleasant and the restaurant atmosphere was homely and very nice. Endangered wood hens frequented the grounds. Luggage was seamlessly transferred to our second accommodation location.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Gary_Payten, Owner at Beachcomber Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Hi stmlne,

Thank you for your wonderful review and for highlighting some wonderful features that Beachcomber Lodge has to offer. I am very happy that you found your room comfortable and spotless (I'm sure our house-keeping staff will be pleased!) and that you enjoyed breakfasts each day, particularly the fresh orange juice, which we also think is a nice option!

I hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday on beautiful Lord Howe Island, and hope that we can accommodate you again on your next visit!