“A Very Special Place”

Capella Lodge
Kusnacht, Switzerland
“A Very Special Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2011

We were guests at Capella Lodge for four days in February of 2011. I had heard about this small hotel from a good friend of mine who celebrated her honeymoon here ten years ago. Apparently a lot has changed, most of it for the better if that is possible. When I told my friend about how nice it was, she was pretty surprised because she thought it was wonderful way back when. What really knocked her over though, were the prices. This would be my only real complaint. I honestly think this hotel is really very expensive for what it is - but, having said that, the other side of the coin is that because it costs so much, only the nicest, coolest people actually make it over there and that was what made our stay so nice.
I won't go on and on about Mark and Libby because what everyone else wrote is true: they are lovely, lovely people and they put so much tender loving care into Capella that it is hard to write any negative thing about their baby (even though they are not technically the owners).
Positives:
Location!!! Lord Howe Island is so beautiful it is just worth it to see once in your life. If you are lucky enough to be able to get here - do it!
Food and drink: I really enjoyed the meals we had, although I am not a foodie (warning: they were nice and tasty but not special/special), and I especially liked the wines and the quality and variety of what was on offer. Also, I thought it was really nice that every night there was a different cocktail to sample.
General Ambience: I loved it - I really liked the chillout vibe and look of the place and thought it was cool that there were amazing views to be seen everywhere.
Walking and Exploring: There is so much to do as far as just making walks or taking hikes and seeing interesting things - you could stay here for weeks probably and not finish it all. Also, since the island is at the bottom of the Great Barrier Reef, the underwater scene is very interesting. We went snorkeling and saw lots of fish - I chickened out when a fellow snorkeler saw a turtle, didn't realize it was a turtle, freaked out and got out of the water. Then a sudden rainstorm came and soaked us all so we just went back to shore and to the hotel for hot chocolate.

Slightly Negative:
Spiders: These are everywhere! Everywhere! If you have a thing about spiders, don't come to LHI. They are really everywhere and I can't say that enough. I am really afraid of them and so it was hard for me to stay here for that reason. On the upside, these spiders are NOT poisonous, just ugly, and the ones that hang over the trees (ick!) will not come down from their webs - I promise. I know because I watched them obsessively every day. I swear they didn't move. The problem was the OTHER spiders - the ones that lived on the ground. They did like to move around, and especially at night! In four days we had two of them in our room so that was very disappointing. This leads me to my biggest negative criticism of Capella Lodge: There are far too many ways for creatures to get into the rooms. The doors to the rooms, while quaint, are simply wooden doors with louvres that don't have screens to protect you from anything that might wander in. Fine if it were the Caribbean but... er, this is Australia. Most foreign visitors do not know what is dangerous and what isn't, and it isn't funny or nice if you get out of the shower at 9 in the evening and find yourself face to face with a creature (the main door is right next to the bathroom)! Forget asking for help trying to kill/catch anything also, as I was basically laughed at and told to find a glass and a piece of paper (forced my husband to do it).
So the rooms are very very lovely to look at on the website, but as far as being useful they aren't very. The sitting room was especially disappointing to me because the two sofas were actually futons pushed against the wall. Despite this, we were not allowed to have our entire family stay just in this room. Hmmmm.... Just to re-iterate, we paid AUD 2'000 per night for one room, times two, because we had two adults and two teens and one eleven year old who was also too freaked out to sleep downstairs with whatever was going to crawl in with him. To me, this was a waste of a room because we really only used the one room which was plenty large enough for all of us. So, two empty futons (in two rooms because the other room had them also).
Also, we had a bit of bad luck because there was some kind of heavy weather which meant lots of wind which meant that the special ceiling-to-floor blinds would bang violently against the window frame if you left the sliding windows open for a bit of air. Or leave them shut and get very hot at night which we ended up doing (not so bad).
Bicycle/Golf Cart thing: There are only two golf carts to use at Capella - one comes automatically with the most expensive room and the other one is for rent first come first serve. Otherwise, guests can either use bikes or walk. We walked until the last day, when my family biked (I do not bike). I thought this was a big negative, but after going over it, I decided it really isn't. I think it is a good thing that there aren't nine groups of guests whizzing around on golf carts, disturbing the peace and natural beauty of the island. Maybe one more cart would be nice, but on the whole, the bikes are nice, and I really, really enjoyed the walks. It was very special and cool, and there was a lot to see on the way to wherever a person wanted to go.
Service: I really like (like every other reviewer has) Mark and Libby, but they can't be everywhere, let's face it. I thought the two ladies doing the housekeeping were wonderful. They were always smiling and seemed relaxed even when they had a LOT to do (these rooms have two floors so they must be a killer to keep clean). I think everyone else working there were fine but there is always room for improvement.
As we were leaving, I believe Libby told my husband that Capella was gearing up for some refurbishment, so that hopefully means improvements to the doors and maybe also to the futon question (free-standing sofas???).
We will most likely go back because everyone in my family fell in love with Lord Howe Island - and I am sure when we do it will be even more fantastic than it was this trip.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank heavycat69
Sarah1971_9, Public Relations Manager at Capella Lodge, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Thanks so much for posting this review of your recent stay at Capella Lodge. We're glad you liked so many aspects of the Lodge - the service, the food, the fabulous managers Mark and Libby, the ambience and Lord Howe Island itsself! We're so fortunate that many of our guests do share these views. I'm sorry you had an unwanted close encounter with spiders; Lord Howe is home to ancient subtropical rain and palm forests and so the odd spider goes with the territory, however the island isn't overrun with them! These are typical of many similarly extraordinary destinations around the world. Golden Orbs are the ones casting webs in the trees; a Hunstman would have been the fellow in your suite. You're right, he is not handsome, but quite harmless. I think Mark was simply trying to put you at ease with the light-hearted suggestion of the glass and paper. This is the best way to get huntmen who have lost their way inside back out again, unharmed. However we wouldn't laugh at this request, nor expect a guest to do it - it can absolutley be a spine-tingling task! The second suite hired for your family of five was a necessity; for the luxury product on offer and for the comfort of each guest we have a maximum of four guests in the Makambo Loft and three in the Lagoon Lofts. I hope you will return sooner rather than later, and bring the family back for more fun and discovery on Lord Howe!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2011

Amazing zen surrounds you here at Capella Lodge! Don't rent a bike use theirs!
Do the daily beach picnic! The rooms and views are fantastic! The food is excellant! the staff is friendly and makes you feel at home. I did not want to leave!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2011

Capella Lodge is a gem of a place situated in a superb position on Lord Howe Island. The staff and managers, Libby and Mark, go out of their way to make their guests feel at home and nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are lovely although air conditioning is not allowed on the island so we had a fan which doesn't achieve the same effect as a/c! The food is outstanding and the service excellent. Capella does not allow outsiders in for dinner which is good as it means the quality is maintained and the kitchen copes well. It took us a while to get into the swing of life on the island as this is a place where you are expected to explore each day. Although Mark and Libby were happy to provide us with chairs and umbrellas to use on the beach, there is nowhere really at the hotel to flop out and relax with a book in the sun. As Euorppeans, we were at first surprised by this but soon learnt that
this is not the Australian way of doing things! All in all, this was the best hotel we stayed at during our 6 week tour of Australia and I would highly recommend it

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LondonTraveller17
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2011

Lord Howe is a beautiful,tranquil and fascinating island.To find a lodge here of Capella's quality made us feel doubly fortunate.The views are magnificent over the sea and the mountains and,given how remote the island is,the food was utterly delicious,fresh,varied and imaginative.But what makes it special is the quality of the staff not just the friendly managers Mark and Libby but the entire team.They could not do enough for their guests and did everything possible to ensure that we had a wonderful stay on an island they love so much.
Wonderful walks and bike rides all topped off at day's end with lovely recommended wines and that superb food.We are well travelled but this was a very special place on a very special island.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jandj47
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2011

Lord Howe Island is an amazing paradise and Capella Lodge is the paradise within the paradise. The location of the Lodge is simply amazing with incredibly stunning views and very easy access to great swimming, snorkeling, surfing and walking. All the staff are fantasically friendly, helpful and knowledgable.....nothing is a problem for them to organise, The hosts Mark and Libby were very welcoming.....like being part of the family without having to do the dishes! One is certainly well fed...there is no need for lunch with such wonderful breakfasts and dinners.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank malgreenwood
Brasilia, DF
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

Lord Howe Island is amazing, the beaches, the trees, the mountains, the birds, the turtles, the fishes, the sky......... If you enjoy nature, you should go there. I toke a 20 hours flight from Brazil to spend my honeymoon there. I didin't regreat. I will neve forget the sunset from lovers bay.
Capella Lodge is unique, it worth every penny. Is the best location in the island, the view is amazing, the rooms are great and the service is perfect, everything is made to you feel at home. And the food? For me is the best breakfast in the world and one of the best dinner I have ever had. And besides all, we meet Mark, Libby and all the staff, they are the best of Capella.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlexandreFG
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2011

When I told my 16 year old daughter I was going to write a Trip Advisor Review about Capella Lodge, she said "EASY, just write awesome, awesome, awesome". And as much as I hate that word she was right, our 4 day holiday at Capella was awesome! She also said "Don't forget to mention how nice the people are!" She was right there too - Libby & Mark and their young team looked after us so well. They introduced us to the island, they fed us up with yummy meals, washed it down with great wine, they were there to answer our every question and they gave us space when we wanted to lounge about and read a book or play a game of cards. Lord Howe is incredibly beautiful and although it is reasonably small it offers all the activity that teenagers need - cycling, bush walking, kayaking, snorkelling and fishing.
Capella is a jewell, the views are sublime and the beach chic decore we all loved. Very comfy and friendly - sandy feet and salty bathers were never frowned upon. And it is small too so you make friends with the other travellers and even the honeymooners didn't seem to mind that we had chatty teenagers bouncing about - I think all the guests are so in love with the lodge and the island that you can't help but be friendly and happy. So if you are umming and aaahhhing about it - just go, no matter if you are after romance, wanting a quiet holiday or wanting to spend QUALITY time with your growing children, just head to Capella as its an awsome place!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Amanda F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lord Howe Island
Arajilla Retreat - Lord Howe Island
Arajilla Retreat - Lord Howe Isl...
#3 of 6 in Lord Howe Island
#1 of 1 in Lord Howe Island
Lorhiti Apartments
Lorhiti Apartments
#1 of 12 in Lord Howe Island

Been to Capella Lodge? Share your experiences!