“Perfect”
Review of Capella Lodge

Capella Lodge
Reviewed 9 December 2011

There can be nothing quite like Capella. Lord Howe is itself a gem, but the diamond is Capella. It is exquisite in a way I have never experienced anywhere else in Australia (though I love the country dearly): splendid service in a way unique to our country; always there but never obtrusive nor obsequious. The meals are fabulous and the girls pre-dinner cocktails are fantastic (or at least after two who cares). The architecture and rooms are so comfortable it is hard to believe you are on an island in the middle of nowhere; and the views are unparalleled on the island or almost anywhere else. Nothing is a bother for the staff and everyone is happy to do anything to make one's stay a pleasure in all ways. it is the complete package. If you want the high life this is not the place for you, but if you want a beautiful experience Lord Howe has it and Capella is the cream. Just don't ride bicycles home after dark - the island cows don't carry lights.

Room Tip: Just go with the flow . There are only 8 or 9 rooms and all are excellent.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pogee06

Reviewed 18 November 2011

Lord Howe Island is breathtaking from the very moment you fly in over the colourful lagoon to the sad moment you are bid a fond farewell and leave.
Capella is the top jewel in this island crown – with its unmatched stunning views and isolated position – on arrival as I walked up the boardwalk to the front entrance after having been welcomed by Libby at the airport and shown some of the islands highlights, I felt a sense of calm, peace and joy, although the main area does not resemble my home at all, I felt at home.

The most wonderful teasured staff –Chelsea, Bree, Re, Bridget and Robyn, who know your name, even when you are meeting them for the first time and that includes the housekeeping staff who addressed me by name – a very nice touch, the staff work as a very well organised team, fully briefed and conversant with who you are, your likes and wants. if there is anything that you want, need or wish for, the Capella staff will endeavour to assist on all requests.

Libby the GM was/is and always will be I am sure, an absolute treasure, such a warm, personable and gracious lady who ensured not only I was treated as any guest is, but that I saw, learnt and lived the island to the fullest.
Joining me as my dinner companion the first night and kindly arranging for someone to join me for dinner my last night. Both ladies were fantastic, easy to chat with, extremely generous and kind to share not only their time but their knowledge and stories of Island life.

My first afternoon, not to let any daylight waste I grabbed a bike and headed off to do the Little Island walk - (I knew I could handle the walk but the bike was a little daunting) As I suspected the walk was invigorating and proved no issue but I must admit I had to push the bike at the last hill back to the lodge. The walks and trails are so well laid out you feel entirely safe striding out on your own or with a companion to breathe in every inch of this magical paradise.

Ian Hutton held a presentation on the Saturday night which was attended by most guests, one couple, advised me not to miss it as it was special. I agree I found Ian’s presentation extremely enjoyable, informative and I learnt much. I don’t think I will be able to use plastic water bottles again without a sense of guilt.

The buggy was available so I was able to travel all over the island checking out each nook and cranny, I enjoyed a fabulous glass bottom boat trip with Dean & Ken – I was very impressed with their level of knowledge, passion and expertise, a must do for any visitor. The Lagoon is so alive above and below. I feed the fish at Ned’s Beach and frolicked on Blinky’s Beach for a while before settling down for a bit under the big tree and table opposite the golf club, and my last stop was to share a moment with ‘Pixie’ admiring the view above the 8th hole over the lagoon, the town and up to North Head.

Bronwyn graciously offered to collect me from Capella so I could visit the visitors centre murseum which holds the most amazing array of Island history and take me on a walk the so I could see Balls Pyramid, which was sensational. Explaining along the way facets of island life and bringing my attention to many points of interest. Thank you Bronwyn there is nothing like seeing these visions through the eyes of a local.

The suites are lovely, I lazed out in Makambo Loft with its private spa pool and upper balcony looking out to Mt lidgbird and Mt Gower, all suites are so private and you truly feel as if you are the only ones around. Hard to achieve when rooms are side by side. And the attention to detail well, that goes without saying for a Baillie Lodge. (I found Southern Ocean Lodge thesister property just as dedicated to luxury and attention to detail) both extremely difficult to fault - right down to the back packs in the rooms so you don't have to carry excess luggage.

My compliments to the chef’s, the food was awesome I could not fault. Brad made a blueberry soufflé which was to die for and I have left instructions for the recipe to be emailed to me. The nightly cocktail is a great idea, and the canapés were magnificent.

I will be sharing my thoughts and experiences with all my friends, colleagues, strangers and who ever else will listen, in the hope that they will get to experience all that Lord Howe and Capella Lodge have to offer.

I arrived as a guest and left as a friend, I am blessed to have met some of the nicest people at one of the nicest Lodges in one of the world’s most treasured spots.

A definite on everyones bucket list!!!

Room Tip: Top pick would have to be the Lidgbird Pavilion, followed by the Makambo loft, Capella Suite of Lago...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank JanWGoldCoast
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Lord Howe is a spectacular location on it's own, the Capella Lodge is just the icing on the cake. Nothing is too difficult for the staff and even with bad weather for half of our short trip you never felt like you were missing out.

A word of warning, flights gets cancelled regularily due to poor weather, get insurance just in case.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank TravelChick78
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We had never heard of Lord Howe Island before we started to plan our trip to Australia, and it turned out to be a great find. The island is a fantastic place to visit, there are lots of good walks of various grades, quiet beaches and sailing trips to keep you busy. Life seems to flow at a slower and more relaxing pace.

We stayed for 4 nights in a Lagoon Loft which is a split level suite with the bedroom upstairs. This has great views from the balcony and the bed (when looking past the trees), so it was worth the extra price.

Cocktails and canapes are served every night before dinner, and this was a good way to meet the other guests - some of whom we kept bumping into on our walks. The food (and drink) was always of a high standard, if a bit limited in the fish/vegetarian selection.

The staff worked really hard to keep everyone happy and were very friendly and helpful. We really didn't have to worry about anything, and had a great relaxing time.

A stay at Capella Lodge isn't cheap, but we're glad that we decided to come here, and would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank haveboots_willtravel
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Chosen as a destination to celebrate a significant birthday for my wife, Capella Lodge and Lord Howe Island turned out to be a fantastic choice.
The island itself is a combination of south sea island, mountainous naturalist paradise, and friendly country town all rolled into one.
Capella was easily a 4 to 4.5 star destination in our eyes, yes it comes at a premium, but it was well worth it. Food and wine were excellent; service was very much of the “understated, nothing could be too much trouble” school. The room was superbly appointed (Best bath robes in my personal experience) any every one with window filling view of Mt Gower and Mt Lidgbird.
Capella is perfect for couples or families with mature kids. We even heard of some families where the Parents stayed at Capella and the kids were billeted at Pine-trees down the road.

The island itself has heaps to do for adults and kids, so don’t stay less than 3 days or make it a week and have every second day off.

Definitely a return is required.

Room Tip: There's only nine or ten rooms and the all face the mountain. So seems unlikely you'd get a...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank wills68
Reviewed 17 August 2011

We stayed here for my husband's birthday. Lord Howe itself is a wonderful location and we just loved the resort. It is not in town but you have the use of pushbikes which makes it easy to get around the island. The service was very friendly and attentive and you were made to feel that any request would be actioned immediately, and nothing was too much trouble. The food was great and even though I am vegetarian I had a choice every night. Lunch is not included but there is so much food at breakfast & dinner we never felt like any.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank SJohan01
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This was our first trip to Lord Howe Island and we were blown away. Only 2 hours from Sydney by plane and no transfer time on arrival (tiny island) so perfect for a weekend away. Unspoilt, no cars etc (no mobile phones either!)

Capella Lodge is gorgeous. Amazing views. We were there in winter but weather was gorgeous so lots to do. I imagine if the weather was bad it would be quite limited. We hiked around the unspoilt island, had picnics, bbq's (all organised impeccably by Capella). Never saw one piece of rubbish or many other people. Idyllic.

Its pricey so we stayed in the standard suite which was good. Not much space but beautifully done and lovely view. Very private. But since staying seems we are in the Capella club and keep being offered good deals/upgrades on subsequent stays.

Communal areas gorgeous, stunning views from dining room etc. Food good, good choice as well for size of place. Breakfast and dinner in price.

Staff good and very helpful. Although head honchos not very evident.

Would definitely return - Lord Howe Island real treasure in today's trashed world and Capella makes it a very comfy stay. Not sure I would take kids but people do. It was just perfect for a romantic getaway.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple