We just finished our eighth stay at Capella, so you know we are spoiled rotten! We stayed for 10 nights, and had a wealth of things to do....revisit favorite hikes and beaches, climb Mt Gower with Jack Shick for the fourth time, re-learn to ride a new state-or-the-art (women’s that is) bicycle. Being early spring we had mixed weather, but plenty of warm sunny days to bike, hike, barbeque or just lie around. And then one nice rainy day to stay in and read a book snuggled up in a cosy alpaca blanket.
There is a new chef, Peter Smit, who does amazing meals. The menus are inventive, never the same. Lots of local fish but also meatier options and vegetarian dishes. New is a "classics" menu so if you just want a steak and chips or simple grilled chicken breast with a salad, feeling the effects of the lunch barbeque, it's available. The all-inclusive wines are super, as always, with a lot of choice if you want to have, say, a pinot rather that a shiraz. As always, the entire staff was super efficient, friendly and helpful in every possible way.
As noted in many previous reviews, Capella is uniquely situated on the island with commanding views of the mountains and sweeping sunset views. For those who wish to stay in a dark palm forest there is another “luxury” lodge closer to the downtown area. But for us, the 10-15 minute bike ride to the post office or store is just another enjoyable aspect of staying at Capella.
We stayed in a Lidgbird suite, which is a two level suite, with the bedroom on the upper floor. We must admit, lying in the very comfortable bed while contemplating the southern mountains in all their variety: clouds, rain-obscured, sunny was wonderful. The in-room minibar/coffee set up is great. We had ours stocked with diet Bunderberg ginger beer.
Capella is probably the most personable and efficiently run accommodation we have had the pleasure to enjoy, thanks largely to managers Libby and Mark. Fortunately we departed before the final America’s Cup race as we imagine that Mark must have fallen into a deep depression over his fellow Kiwi’s fate. Presumably he will have overcome this by the time of our next visit, which we hope will be soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Celebrated as the pinnacle of luxury on World Heritage-listed Lord Howe Island, Capella Lodge rests atop romantic Lovers Bay. An inspired architectural design welcomes spectacular views of the ocean, reef and mountains into the Lodge.A short flight from Australia’s east coast transports visitors to a real ‘treasure island’. Capella’s nine contemporary island-style suites are designed to complement Lord Howe’s pristine natural environment. Luxurious surrounds, exceptional island-inspired dining and unforgettable ‘first-name’ service combine to create an outstanding Lord Howe Island lodging experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, MrandMrsSmith and Evoline ltd so you can book your Capella Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Capella Resort All Inclusive
- Capella Hotel Lord Howe Island