Capella Lodge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Somerset Apartments(Lord Howe Island)
Hotels.com
    TripAdvisor
    Leanda-Lei Apartments(Lord Howe Island)
    No availability for your dates from our partners
    Pinetrees Lodge(Lord Howe Island)
    • Breakfast included
    Beachcomber Lodge(Lord Howe Island)
    TripAdvisor
    • Restaurant
    Earl's Anchorage(Lord Howe Island)
    Orbitz.com
    Milky Way Holiday Villas(Lord Howe Island)
    Hotels.com
    • Beachfront
    Oceanview Apartments(Lord Howe Island)
    • Pool
    All reviewsgolf buggylagoon loftmt gowerplunge poolspiral staircasekangaroo islandmini barsmall luxury hotelgreen pasturescourse degustationother guestsfood and winebeautiful roomincredible viewstuesday nightattention to detailbefore dinner
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 14 November 2013

Words do not do LHI and Capella justice. The island is a laid back, comfortable destination. Capella Lodge is comfortable luxury. The lodge is quite nice, the staff is most accommodating, and the food is excellent. LHI itself is most amazing. Ned's beach is a trip in itself and snorkeling is most excellent. Simply put, we plan to go back to Capella Lodge soon.

Room Tip: The loft rooms have an excellent view.
    • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
    3  Thank The2TravelingFools
    Reviewed 5 November 2013

In hindsight, I should have realised by the size of the single supplement that the property either isn't interested in solo travellers or expects them to be wealthy enough not to blink at paying $1200 per night for the lowest grade of suite. I've stayed at plenty of luxury lodges around the world as a solo traveller and haven't questioned their value for money, but I'm afraid I did at Capella.

This isn't to say that Capella isn't a lovely lodge in an excellent location, with great staff and food. However at $1200 per night for one person, you expect the basics to be pretty perfect. For example, the blinds in my suite were poorly fitted, meaning that when daylight hit at 5am, my suite was light enough to wake me up. Every morning. I shouldn't have to improvise an eye mask at those rates. Nor should I find a water bottle one-eight full in the mini-bar (left over from the previous guest), or that the mini-bar hadn't been restocked on my second day.

Breakfast and dinner was included in the rate (which was very good), as was access to bicycles and a golf cart that needed prior booking. A packed lunch at no cost would be a nice touch for hikers like me - I hiked on both days and basically missed lunch by the time I'd descended at 4pm.

As I said, the lodge and staff are lovely, but as a solo traveller next time I would stay in self catering accommodation and spend the substantial $ difference on snorkelling and diving services.

Room Tip: If you can afford a more expensive suite, you may have better sleep quality.
    • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
    7  Thank parischris2007
    LodgeMangement, Public Relations Manager at Capella Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Capella. Actually, we take your point regarding solo travellers. Normally, single occupancy is charged on double rates. We buck that trend, however, and in our case the tariff is slightly less given the food and beverage inclusions. Furthermore we recognise and celebrate single travellers coming to our properties, that’s why for many years we have released special rates, noted as the Sophisticated Solo package, available during May-September, where we only charge the twin share rate. We have a significant following from solo guests taking advantage of the mid-season deal, many of whom return again and again either to the same lodge or a sister property, as the offer is a rarity and they have a ball!

Regarding the blinds, they aren’t poorly fitted, it’s the actual design of roller blinds that there is always going to be daylight where they adjoin the window architrave. The reason for two blinds is to provide easy access to the balcony beyond.

Restocking of the mini bar with your specialist beverage (sourced especially for you) was an oversight, apologies. Whilst walkers lunch packs are available for additional cost, the breakfast buffet brims with fruit and bakery items which many guests stock up on for fuel during the day, if not planning to return to the Restaurant during lunch service from 12 to mid afternoon.

We hope you might return again on our Sophisticated Solo package sometime in the future.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed here at the beginning of September 2013. Lord Howe Island is a very special place but throw in a stay at Capella Lodge and you get AWESOME! I travelled with 2 friends, we each had our own room. Capella only has 10 rooms so you really feel like you have Capella to yourself at all times. The food was amazing and the wine list was sensational.... but above all of that I can honestly say that it is the best service I have ever experienced. Resort hosts Mark & Libby, Robyn and the rest of the Capella crew, thank you for making everything perfect!! The cleaners were equally fantastic, they were stealth like and the minute you walked out of your room they were in there fixing it up. On the surface one would think that it is expensive but we left saying we'd had a discount holiday because everything was included and exceptional. I want to set up a direct debit to Capella so I can go back every year. Hot tubs, Sunset canapes, degustation dinners, beach BBQ's, Golf buggy hire.... this place has it all! If you are going to LHI then this is the ONLY place stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
    3  Thank RenaeG76
    Reviewed 30 October 2013

Capella Lodge is located at the Southern end of Lord Howe with great views and beautiful quiet beaches nearby.

The Lodge accommodation is quiet and comfortable and the amazing staff do everything they can to make you stay as relaxed and enjoyable as possible.

It only accommodates about 18 guests so the evening cocktail and dinner gatherings were an opportunity to get to know everyone and exchange experiences of the island.

The food was amazing.

The Lodge provided well maintained bikes for our travels around the island but were always on hand to pick up and drop off if required.

The island itself is fabulous with great walks quiet roads and beaches and the reef for snorkelling or diving.

Not the place to stay if you need to be in touch with the outside world at all times as there is no mobile phone service and the internet connectivity was less than reliable. We saw this as a benefit.

All in all a great break and I am sure we will return.

Room Tip: Some of the room were studios with upstairs balconies which would have more space and better views but all would be quiet and comfortable.
    • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank Mike B
    Reviewed 13 October 2013

once in a life time event, well worth the expense. 5 star meals each day with outstanding service. beds made in heaven. outstanding experience both at the lodge but also the island itself. fishing was a bit slim but that was an unusual experience apparently. plenty of exercise with walking , climbing and riding and snorkling. amazing coral reefs with beautiful fish.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends