“Just wonderful”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 May 2014

A bit late writing this due to circumstances, but wanted to share our experience of undoubtedly the finest restaurant my wife and I have ever dined at. We had been staying at Mollymook and St. Isidore had been recommended by one of the staff. It was a Saturday night and originally intended to have a light meal elsewhere however found the place too crowded and noisy so decided to try this wonderful establishment believing we would be unlikely to get in due to the time of week. We were however, warmly invited in and seated in this quiet friendly setting by a very genuinely friendly polite young lady, who immediately provided cold fresh water and explained the menu, which at first I found a little daunting, not only due to the manner in which it was set out, but the type of food provided.
We come from the Sutherland Shire and have been used to a number of local restaurants particularly in Cronulla, which espouse 'fine dining' normally at quite a substantial price. All of these have in my opinion been somewhat of a disappointment although most have purported to provide extensive and varied menus.
Neither my wife and I are big eaters and generally prefer to indulge in either a main and sweets, or at times even just an entree and/or main. Nothing on the menu here was really familiar and I was a little apprehensive as it appeared that even ordering what seemed to be reasonably small portion meals was to be somewhat expensive. I have never minded paying a high cost for fine food, but as mentioned previously generally find the results disappointing.
This was MOST CERTAINLY NOT THE CASE HERE!!
My wife had the grilled octopus with lemon garlic and aoli then the salmon tartare whilst I had the babaganoush with pomegranate and pita then the pork belly and we had a side of leaves, radish and horseradish dressing. We then shared both the fried bananas 5 spice ice cream etc and the warm chocolate tart.
With the meal we had a glass each of the King Valley Pinot Grigio and our cold water was constantly replenished by our very kind and attentive waiter and the lady I later came to be aware was one of the owners.
As I have indicated none of these meals was very large, however as I constantly commented to those waiting upon us, each mouthful of every dish we ordered was the most DELIGHTFUL either of us had ever experienced. We are perhaps not the most accomplished diners, however I can state without doubt this was the most wonderful meal we have ever had in any restaurant throughout our years. I had no hesitation in extolling the virtues of the meal to those responsible as I believe one should do in the circumstances and had the pleasure of telling them that we had been looking forward to finding somewhere in Sydney to partake of a meal for our 42nd anniversary the following week, however could not expect to experience anything that could match our wonderful meal there and that we now had something very special to remember. I did not even take notice of the price of the dinner, although I new it would be quite expensive however can indicate that this was the first and only time I felt that regardless of the cost, the value was exemplary.
To add one other pleasant note, upon leaving and expressing our sincere thanks, the lady presented my wife and I with a bottle of the fine Pinot Grigio for our upcoming anniversary.
I can indicate that we drank it on the date in celebration not only of those years of marriage, but in gratitude for such a marvelous dining experience.
I can only recommend most emphatically this wonderful establishment and am looking forward to the time (hopefully in the not too distant future) that we can visit again.
The residents of the area are certainly lucky to have St. Isidore there - I just wish they could teach some others in our vicinity how to do it. Good luck to the owners and staff, you deserve all the accolades you get!!

5  Thank Geoff K

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Venue displays great sense of style, inside and out. The decor and views are delightful. Haven't seen such happy chooks for a long time, being fed the greenery waste from the kitchen so as to get to work on tomorrow's fresh eggs. But what about the food, you ask? Scrumptiously different to everywhere else, with that knowledge of just exactly how much herbs/spice to add. Our guests loved their sticky lamb neck. I so enjoyed my whitebait entree and fish and mussels main, but the star of the luncheon was...poached quince with passionfruit toffee! Can't wait to return. You can stroll around the pretty and practical gardens and ponds too.

3  Thank LynnCanberra
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We don't often return to restaurants endlessly, preferring to try new venues, however we've now made St Isidore an Easter tradition, returning for our third year in a row. And it really is a Blessing !
A demonstration of culinary 'Etymologiae', deserving of great recognition, and certainly a reference in that 'bible' SMHGFG.

Endless superlatives about the food cannot really do the menu justice - a broad pallete of the chef's skills and influences are sure to find something to your tastes here.

Special Mentions:
Prawn Wontons - subtly expressed broth with that 'zing' of unadulterated freshness in a homage to great Asian cooking.
Trevalla and mussels - a delectable combination of flavours, traditional yet novel at the same time.
The sides - the Warrigal greens were just superbly delicious. Who would have thought? Eat your greens people...and be amazed !

The kitchen garden has been fully landscaped and is really worth a walk, it truly demonstrates the depth of passion and belief (and hard work !) in supplying the freshest and best ingredients for the menu.... and a nice view.

This time we were able to compare with 'that winery restaurant' up the road. Suffice to say it was a pretty easy decision to make that I won't be breaking with tradition again next year.

Unpretentious service, some might find it a bit slow, I prefer it relaxed and un-rushed and have no issues. The one exception to haughtiness was being "introduced" to our dessert, though we found this more comical than anything else.

One small error in the rib eye being medium, not rare, was recompensed vastly more than necessary - guys, that wasn't necessary, but I was pleased to see you really care.

Traditions being what they are, I do look forward to my pilgrimage to the Saint against next year. They are truly blessed, as are we to eat there.

2  Thank rroger_rramjet
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is the first meal out everyone of our family member enjoyed immensely. Even our 4 year old couldn't resists the perfectly cooked veggies. Our 8 year old did not say a word until her gorgeous crumbed chicken was finished. Then she uttered the words in the headline. We were mesmerized by the taste sensations of our fish dish. All this against the backdrop of gardens and ponds, which we walked around in. The ice cream sundaes will stay with the kids forever... Thank you for the gorgeous meal, and yes, we will be back!

3  Thank ALottaCulture
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Set in the south coast town of Milton St Isidore came highly recommended and did not disappoint. The staff were very friendly with none of the attitude often seen in city restaurants. The highlights of the meal were: The white anchovies, pork belly, prosciutto with bocconcini and the four hundred gram rib-eye.

The dessert menu had wonderful selections like the chocolate tart and the espresso creme-brulee, They allowed us to bring our own bottle of wine and charged a modest $15 corkage. Would definitely return if in the area.

2  Thank John N