“Perfect birthday present!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bannisters by the sea

Bannisters by the sea
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Mollymook
Newcastle, Australia
“Perfect birthday present!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

My partner and I stayed at Bannisters in the Pacific Penthouse (20-22 June), which was a birthday present to him. It was absolutely beautiful! We were so happy with it!
The room was incredibly spacious and inviting, the view from our room was spectacular and that shower and bath... Pure heaven! (I've decided I need a steam shower and heated floors in my bathrooms! Haha) The bed was comfortable and the fire added a nice touch, we had a few dramas getting it turned on, but reception sent a man from maintenance to come and show us how to work it properly. (I would recommend if you have any issues, see reception straight away. We had a few questions and they got everything sorted ASAP and were more than happy to help).
The pool bar is heaven! Such a beautiful view and atmosphere. We had lunch there on the Saturday, it was surprisingly quiet! When we first arrived I found the chef rude and not particularly helpful, but he called for the bartender and he well and truly made up for the chefs rudeness, he was excellent! Food was served quickly & the drinks were brought the table within a view minutes of ordering them! Great service!
We didn't eat at Rick Steins as I'm not a huge seafood lover, but to me the restaurant was dated and not particularly attractive. With the prices on the menu, I would expect a much nicer and more modern restaurant.
The buffet breakfast was quite reasonable, my partner thoroughly enjoyed it! Beautiful view from on the balcony, but on our second morning it was closed off for some reason? A few of the breakfast staff seemed rude and in a hurry to get you in and out as soon as they could, but majority were very friendly and welcoming!
Our housekeeping team were amazing! They were lovely when we came back to the room half way through them cleaning. Really excellent service! It made me feel very comfortable about them having been in our room without us being there! I would hope this is passed on to them!
All in all I loved our stay and we will definitely be back! Thank you Bannisters for the amazing weekend!

Room Tip: Try the pizzas from the pool bar! Amazing! We got them brought to our room, so worth the $10 to sit...
3 Thank slb1992
Peter B, General Manager at Bannisters by the sea, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear slb1992,
Thank you very much for choosing Bannisters and for taking the time to review your stay and share your photos- we very much appreciate it!

I am pleased to hear you were well looked after by our accommodation staff and thoroughly enjoyed your stay in the Penthouse. Thank you for your feedback, we pride ourselves on friendly and efficient staff I will be sure to follow up your comments.

We hope to welcome you back to Bannisters.

Best regards,
Peter Bacon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

My Wife and I recently stayed at Bannisters for 3 nights. The experience we had was wonderful, the view was perfect, the food was spectacular (in both the pool bar and restaurant) and room was warm, comfortable and tastefully furnished. We loved every minute of our stay and didn't want to leave. This was our 3rd visit and we will be definitely back again!

We stayed in one the Penthouses overlooking the ocean and it was well furnished without being over done, the steam room was great as was the egg bath. The bed was very comfortable and allowed for a good nights sleep for myself and my wife.

It was the little things which made our visit perfect, like the bubbles on arrival and thoughtful card left in our room!

I also recommend that the anyone visiting take advantage of the day spa on site, the staff there are wonderful and my wife and I left after our treatments feeling marvelously relaxed and rejuvenated, I really can't recommend it enough.

I can also say that Rick Stein's at Bannisters is definitely the place to eat, the food was delicious and I couldn't fault a thing. The staff looked after us at both our Lunch and Dinner reservations and ensured that we felt really special.

Overall the whole experience at Bannisters was great and we left feeling very spoilt. Thanks!

Room Tip: Definitely go for one of the second floor rooms if you can, the view is fantastic and watching the s...
2 Thank Canberra_Nick1
Dear Canberra_Nick1,
Thank you for your review, it is always wonderful to hear from our return guests.
I am very pleased to hear your time at Bannisters has been consistently excellent and I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the staff.
Thank you for your patronage and we look forward to welcoming you and your wife back to Bannisters.
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We have been looking forward to returning to Bannisters for a weekend getaway after attending a friend's wedding reception there last year, and our trip did not disappoint. The view from Bannisters is absolutely stunning and if your lucky enough to coincide your holiday with the sun then you've got a small piece of paradise relaxing in the drop off pool!
Rick Stein's restaurant lived up to the hype and the chilli king prawns were absolutely beautiful and if you really want to indulge the I would recommend the Lemon Tart! The staff at the hotel were lovely and made our stay very enjoyable, we can't wait to get another weekend away.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank paperwinged
Thank you for your wonderful review Paperwinged! I’m thrilled your return visit was as memorable as your first and we look forward to welcoming you back to Bannisters.
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We have just enjoyed a weekend break at Bannisters. The luxury room was spacious with the most amazing view. We had dinner at the Pool Bar overlooking the infinity pool. The meal was enjoyable and the service friendly and informative. The following night was a truly special occasion at Rick Stein's restaurant. I highly recommend the lobster raviolo and the Indonesian curry, complimented by a white wine from Spain.. The restaurant was full, but again the service was friendly and attentive. Next time we will go to the restaurant for lunch to enjoy the view.
It was one of those weekends where the weather was better than expected, and everything just went so smoothly, which is a credit to the employees. We highly recommend it for a relaxing break and it would be perfect for a wedding or special celebration.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean views. We were above the Pool Deck which was fine this time of the year. For pe...
1 Thank Sandra V
Dear Sandra V,
Thank you for your review and recommendation, we truly appreciate it.

Lunch is a superb way of making the most of our headland views and Rick’s best seafood. We look forward to your next visit.
Where to next?
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

You can tell that the Bannisters property began life as a motel all those years ago, because no amount of jazzing up with trendy decorations can shake the motel feeling. Don't get me wrong, the rooms are very nicely appointed (although it should be noted that the walls seem to be made of paper; you hear everything next door), and the bar/pool area is particularly appealing. The service was so-so (the reception staff seemed to lose their patience rather easily). The star of the show of course is the Rick Stein restaurant, which was excellent. Mind you, tablecloths would have been a nice touch when you pay so much for a meal? The breakfast was particularly disappointing: cheap sliced bread, and $4 extra for an espresso-based coffee? Please.
As far as boutique gourmet properties go, Bannisters doesn't quite make the cut. We'll try somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: My guess would be that the rooms immediately over the bar/pool area would be rather noisy if the hot...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Back_to_Sandringham
Peter B, General Manager at Bannisters by the sea, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thank you, Back_to_Sandringham for your review. We do our best to constantly position our hotel realistically, and advertise that Bannisters has evolved from the original 1970’s building. Bannisters is a unique property and one which we hope people can appreciate and enjoy.
We pride ourselves on friendly and efficient staff and I am very disspointed to hear you felt some areas did not meet these standards.Should you wish to speak to me directly, I would be interested to discuss your comments and suggestion. Please feel free to contact me directly on the email address below.
PeterBacon@bannisters.com.au
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We'd been meaning to go to Bannisters for sometime having heard much about Rick Stein's restaurant and the location. It's a difficult place to review - we had a lovely weekend due in large part to the S Coast turning on two lovely days. Even at the start of winter the white sand and turquoise water are hard to resist. Bannisters is in a lovely location with great views and the waves washing against the rocks below the headland to send you to sleep. It is however and as another reviewer commented a breeze block motel. They have done a good job smartening it up. The rooms are standard motel size but are well fitted out - beds were very comfortable. Staff were very courteous. The bar overlooking the pool is a fun place for a drink and a light meal. Breakfast is pretty standard buffet. The only thing we can definitively say about Bannisters is that it is very expensive for what it is. Accepting the we were there over Queens Birthday Weekend, to be paying top 5 Star City Hotel rates, even with breakfast thrown in, was well over the top.

Room Tip: First rooms facing east have a lovely view of the sunrise over the sea and are within soothing ear s...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dellick
Dear Dellick,
Thank you for your review of Bannisters and feedback
I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed a relaxing long weekend in Mollymook and our cliff top location. Our breakfast buffet is a new addition to the Restaurant and a one which we are improving thanks to our guest’s suggestions.
Thank you once again for your feedback.
Nerang, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

This was one of the highlights of our south coast trip, we were looking forward to the most, we were booked in for one night - sunday night. Staff at reception provided a high quality of service during our stay. We stayed in an Ocean Deck Room - which was Room 8. The views from our room were great, and the room size was also good. It appears the rooms have recently been refurbished and have been done well. Unfortunately we had a young couple with baby staying next door in Room 7 and the walls were thin as they are interconnecting rooms, so our sleep was disturbed during the night several times. We were also disappointed with the bed - it was very lumpy and as you lay on it - you felt your legs were lying straight but leaning towards the floor.

Room Tip: I would avoid Room 8 as you are near the stairs to upper levels and also near the gate down to the p...
1 Thank GCPurple
Thank you GCPurple, for your review.
I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us but am disappointed that you did not enjoy a good night’s rest. We are constantly improving our rooms here, and I will take your comments onboard.
We always appreciate constructive feedback from our guests, please feel free to contact me directly should you ever be in the area again so I can personally look after your stay.

Peterbacon@bannisters.com.au
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollymook
Dolphin Shores Hotel
Mollymook Surfbeach Motel & Apartments
Mollymook Seascape Motel
Mollymook Seascape Motel
#5 of 8 in Mollymook

Been to Bannisters by the sea? Share your experiences!