“A wonderful room with a view” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bannisters by the sea

and 1 more site!
Bannisters by the sea
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Mollymook
Sydney
“A wonderful room with a view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

We booked the Delicious Romance Package at Bannisters and we had a wonderful time. Our Ocean Deluxe room was lovely and very comfortable with a beautiful waterview. Dinner at Rick Steins Restaurant was definitely the highlight and a seafood lovers dream come true. Our dinner at the Pool Bar, which serves pizzas, salads and an assortment of tapas style dishes was fun and our server Brett was exceptional. Our continental breakfast was also nice, but I wasn't too keen on the coffee on offer. I think they should rethink their current coffee blend and try other varieties and machines. The food however was nice, especially their mushrooms. All the staff at Bannisters are friendly and very helpful and I would love to visit again. Mollymook is a lovely seaside town to visit and the surrounding towns make for a great getaway.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Peter B, General Manager at Bannisters by the sea, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Hello seeplayeatexplore,
Thank you for taking the time to review both our hotel and Restaurant. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience in Mollymook with the Tripadvisor community. I am so pleased you enjoyed your time with us-particularly Rick’s seafood! I will be sure to show Brett your review and hope we will welcome you back soon.
Peter Bacon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at Bannisters in August 2014 as a base for a short relaxing trip away from Sydney. We find that hotels and restaurants in Australia can have quite varying standards which often has little correlation to the cost. As a result we booked Bannisters as we anticipated it would represent comparatively good value for money. On arrival we felt relieved to find a clean and fresh building in a stunning location. The reception staff where very helpful and our room (cliff top spa) was a very pleasant surprise.

A lot of thought has gone into making the room useable and practical as well as tastefully decorated. The small touches we appreciated included a fridge, china, cutlery, gowns that fit big chaps and a TV/DVD with a large range of DVD's to borrow. In short we felt the room had been designed by somebody who'd also travelled extensively. Other highlights would be the view/location which is incredibly beautiful and breakfast which had everything you'd want. The website states the 'rooms' are 4.5 star which is probably accurate but I would not say that of the entire hotel.

An area that disappointed us was that the hot tub was not hot on arrival and we had to wait for the maintenance chap to fill it with hot water and also to run the heating pump for a few hours. The water also seemed a bit murky! We felt this was a bit of a shame given that it is a major feature of the room. However, we did enjoy a glass of wine in the hot tub whilst appreciating the view.

Lastly, we booked into Rick Steins on the Sunday night and overall I'd rate this as a disappointment. Our impression was that the prices were on a par with our recent visits to the finer restaurants in Melbourne and Sydney ($260 for two people with three glasses of wine) but it lacked real finesse. The staff were friendly and helpful but missed a few obvious issues such as the table needing to be cleaned between courses. The food was OK but not memorable. In my view it seems a little confused as to whether it is fine dining or a more casual bistro. A little more attention to detail is required and also I'd like a table cloth (maybe I'm old fashioned)

In summation we have booked in again for our wedding anniversary so that is proof it is worth a second visit. We are already looking forward to it though we might try a local restaurant.

1 Thank Bertolucci77
Dear Bertolucci77,
Thank you for your thoughtful review of Bannisters, we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. It’s wonderful to hear you appreciated the attention to detail that has gone into the rooms, although I am disappointed to hear that your first experience at Rick Stein at Bannisters did not meet expectations. I welcome you to contact me directly for your next stay so I can personally ensure your next experience is memorable for all the right reasons.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We had an amazing stay in such an idealic Idlyic location with great staff , it's a must do holiday and we will be back as soon as we can. We had an east facing room that gave us great views of the sunrise.

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for the penthouse or the pinnacle if not the ocean facing rooms on the east...
Dear Vincent K,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us! I am so pleased you got to enjoy a sunrise from the Pinnacle deck and I am very pleased to hear you will be returning soon.

Until then, all the best.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

When we arrived I was surprised at how much the lodge looked like a motel and felt a little disappointed. No designated parking, so if you went out of a night, you may not get a space again until people have left the restaurant.
We went into the room and I was pleasantly surprised as they were very well decorated, light and airy. The balcony overlooked the pool and the views across the sea.
Down side is people are allowed to smoke on their balconies, so not nice when the wind is in the wrong direction, and really this isn't a non-smoking hotel.
Good selection of DVD's for free hire.
Staff friendly and informative at reception.
The pool bar staff were great and the cocktail choice rather enjoyable and well made.
Food at the pool bar was also good.
I wouldn't stay here for more than a few days again as we ran out of things to do to remain entertained.
I also felt it was incredibly expensive for what was basically a motel with a facelift.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ozkaz78
Peter B, General Manager at Bannisters by the sea, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Ozkaz78,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate you taking the time to review both our hotel and restaurant.

I am pleased to hear you got to enjoy some poolside relaxation and were well looked after by our team during your stay.

Our hotel began as an iconic 1970’s seaside lodge and after a series of sizeable renovations, additions and refurbishments now represents a mixture of the original structure with a luxurious interior and modern elements. Despite best efforts, this isn’t always the expectation of our first time guests but I do hope that once you settled in you enjoyed your stay at Bannisters.

Shellharbour, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We had the pleasure of staying in the Pinnacle room for 2 nights. The outlook is fantastic and this room has so many good features. A little bit of luxury hidden on the South Coast of NSW. We were particularly impressed by the friendly and professional staff who did everything they could to make this an enjoyable stay.
John S

1 Thank John S
Thank you very much for reviewing your stay with us John S!
I do hope we have a chance to welcome you back soon.
sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We had a two night getaway at Bannisters, we stayed in the spa room with a beautiful view of the ocean. The Restaurant was everything they claimed it to be. Staff were very friendly and attentive, a great weekend away.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sharon b
Peter B, General Manager at Bannisters by the sea, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Hello Sharon B,
Thank you for your review of both our Hotel and Restaurant, I certainly appreciate you taking the time to do so.
It’s wonderful to hear you had a great weekend away with us and I do hope we have the change to welcome you back soon.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is our second visit to Bannisters. The staff are professional and friendly. The rooms are spacious and with amazing views over the ocean or infinity pool.
Love the large bath with open shutters so you can watch telly whilst soaking or have an intimate bath all to yourself. Only thing I'd say is with no shower curtain the floor gets quite wet (but I've shared my feedback so maybe the hotel will consider this!).
Day spa looks good although I've not tried it yet, maybe the next visit.

Location
1 Thank Donna B
Hello Donna B,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review both the hotel and restaurant. I am thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful return visit and I will certainly pass on your feedback to our interior designer.
We look forward to your next stay.
Peter Bacon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollymook
Dolphin Shores Hotel
Mollymook Surfbeach Motel & Apartments
Mollymook Seascape Motel
Mollymook Seascape Motel
#5 of 8 in Mollymook

Been to Bannisters by the sea? Share your experiences!