“Fantastic Customer Service Focus...”

Bannisters by the sea
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Mollymook
Nowra, New South Wales, Australia
“Fantastic Customer Service Focus...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

My friend and I had a fabulous girls escape at Bannisters! I felt very spoilt as the winner of the Warm and Toasty Facebook package living in luxury for a couple of days. From the Office Staff to the Restaurant/Day Spa/Pool Bar staff, everyone was warm and professional, the food was divine, the Day Spa was super relaxing, and the accommodation was everything you would expect from a quality resort. The weather was awful while we were there, which just made sure we enjoyed the facilities more, and with 3 kids at home, it was awesome to be able to sit still and do just that! Thankyou to everyone at Bannisters, it was a very much needed holiday at just the right time. I'd certainly go visit again. :)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marianne C
Peter B, General Manager at Bannisters by the sea, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear Marianne C,

I’m so pleased you enjoyed your winner’s stay with us! I certainly appreciate your review and am very glad you got to enjoy some well deserved relaxation.

Hopefully we will welcome you back soon.

Peter Bacon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

A beautiful location with sweeping views across the ocean. We stayed in the Pinnacle Penthouse which was beautifully decorated, spacious and well stocked. The steam room was a lovely additional feature, especially as the weekend proved cold and wet. Food in the restaurant was delicious. Staff were most accommodating.

Hello Coates2014,

Thank you for your review, it is always wonderful to receive such lovely feedback. I so pleased you enjoyed the Pinnacle and I will be sure to pass on your compliments to the team.

Picton, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

To understand this property you have to separate out the Lodge and the Restaurant. The Restaurant is a very specific destination in itself and you need to know what its about first. It is in effect a tribute to one man's dedication to giving you the best seafood ever, and it delivers! If you cannot find anything you like on the menu or it does not suit your real or perceived food issues, it is not the chef's fault; you are in the wrong place!
As for the Lodge, unfortunately this is the second place I've been in one month where the restaurant is much more that your average motel fare, but because it is on site (and charges appropriately for its standard) the hotel feels it can charge top dollar also. Banisters is better that your average, and probably the best in the area, but it is not twice as good. If you stay more than one night the second night is about an acceptable price, but the first night ($290 off-season) is out of line for what it is. I will go again because I am a great fan of the restaurant and don't want to drive anywhere after having enjoyed myself but I will be watching the prices.

Room Tip: Ask for one that has had a recent refurbishment - there is a design issue with some of the shower en...
Dear Nicolas B,

Thank you for your review of the restaurant and hotel. I am very pleased to hear that the restaurant delivered to your expectations and lived up to Rick’s standard- it’s always wonderful to hear from Rick's fans!

In relation to the hotel prices, it sounds as though you stayed on Saturday and Sunday evening. As with many popular weekend destinations, the prices to vary between midweek (Sunday-Thursday) and weekend (Friday-Saturday.) Should you visit us during the week there are a range of great deals you may be interested in and of course, Wednesday lunch in the restaurant which makes the most of Rick’s menu and the view.

Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

We booked the Delicious Romance Package at Bannisters and we had a wonderful time. Our Ocean Deluxe room was lovely and very comfortable with a beautiful waterview. Dinner at Rick Steins Restaurant was definitely the highlight and a seafood lovers dream come true. Our dinner at the Pool Bar, which serves pizzas, salads and an assortment of tapas style dishes was fun and our server Brett was exceptional. Our continental breakfast was also nice, but I wasn't too keen on the coffee on offer. I think they should rethink their current coffee blend and try other varieties and machines. The food however was nice, especially their mushrooms. All the staff at Bannisters are friendly and very helpful and I would love to visit again. Mollymook is a lovely seaside town to visit and the surrounding towns make for a great getaway.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Peter B, General Manager at Bannisters by the sea, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Hello seeplayeatexplore,
Thank you for taking the time to review both our hotel and Restaurant. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience in Mollymook with the Tripadvisor community. I am so pleased you enjoyed your time with us-particularly Rick’s seafood! I will be sure to show Brett your review and hope we will welcome you back soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

My wife and I stayed at Bannisters in August 2014 as a base for a short relaxing trip away from Sydney. We find that hotels and restaurants in Australia can have quite varying standards which often has little correlation to the cost. As a result we booked Bannisters as we anticipated it would represent comparatively good value for money. On arrival we felt relieved to find a clean and fresh building in a stunning location. The reception staff where very helpful and our room (cliff top spa) was a very pleasant surprise.

A lot of thought has gone into making the room useable and practical as well as tastefully decorated. The small touches we appreciated included a fridge, china, cutlery, gowns that fit big chaps and a TV/DVD with a large range of DVD's to borrow. In short we felt the room had been designed by somebody who'd also travelled extensively. Other highlights would be the view/location which is incredibly beautiful and breakfast which had everything you'd want. The website states the 'rooms' are 4.5 star which is probably accurate but I would not say that of the entire hotel.

An area that disappointed us was that the hot tub was not hot on arrival and we had to wait for the maintenance chap to fill it with hot water and also to run the heating pump for a few hours. The water also seemed a bit murky! We felt this was a bit of a shame given that it is a major feature of the room. However, we did enjoy a glass of wine in the hot tub whilst appreciating the view.

Lastly, we booked into Rick Steins on the Sunday night and overall I'd rate this as a disappointment. Our impression was that the prices were on a par with our recent visits to the finer restaurants in Melbourne and Sydney ($260 for two people with three glasses of wine) but it lacked real finesse. The staff were friendly and helpful but missed a few obvious issues such as the table needing to be cleaned between courses. The food was OK but not memorable. In my view it seems a little confused as to whether it is fine dining or a more casual bistro. A little more attention to detail is required and also I'd like a table cloth (maybe I'm old fashioned)

In summation we have booked in again for our wedding anniversary so that is proof it is worth a second visit. We are already looking forward to it though we might try a local restaurant.

1 Thank Bertolucci77
Dear Bertolucci77,
Thank you for your thoughtful review of Bannisters, we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. It’s wonderful to hear you appreciated the attention to detail that has gone into the rooms, although I am disappointed to hear that your first experience at Rick Stein at Bannisters did not meet expectations. I welcome you to contact me directly for your next stay so I can personally ensure your next experience is memorable for all the right reasons.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We had an amazing stay in such an idealic Idlyic location with great staff , it's a must do holiday and we will be back as soon as we can. We had an east facing room that gave us great views of the sunrise.

Room Tip: If you can afford it go for the penthouse or the pinnacle if not the ocean facing rooms on the east...
Dear Vincent K,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us! I am so pleased you got to enjoy a sunrise from the Pinnacle deck and I am very pleased to hear you will be returning soon.

Until then, all the best.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

When we arrived I was surprised at how much the lodge looked like a motel and felt a little disappointed. No designated parking, so if you went out of a night, you may not get a space again until people have left the restaurant.
We went into the room and I was pleasantly surprised as they were very well decorated, light and airy. The balcony overlooked the pool and the views across the sea.
Down side is people are allowed to smoke on their balconies, so not nice when the wind is in the wrong direction, and really this isn't a non-smoking hotel.
Good selection of DVD's for free hire.
Staff friendly and informative at reception.
The pool bar staff were great and the cocktail choice rather enjoyable and well made.
Food at the pool bar was also good.
I wouldn't stay here for more than a few days again as we ran out of things to do to remain entertained.
I also felt it was incredibly expensive for what was basically a motel with a facelift.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ozkaz78
Peter B, General Manager at Bannisters by the sea, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Ozkaz78,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate you taking the time to review both our hotel and restaurant.

I am pleased to hear you got to enjoy some poolside relaxation and were well looked after by our team during your stay.

Our hotel began as an iconic 1970’s seaside lodge and after a series of sizeable renovations, additions and refurbishments now represents a mixture of the original structure with a luxurious interior and modern elements. Despite best efforts, this isn’t always the expectation of our first time guests but I do hope that once you settled in you enjoyed your stay at Bannisters.

Peter Bacon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mollymook
Dolphin Shores Hotel
Mollymook Surfbeach Motel & Apartments
Ridge Retreat at Mollymook
Ridge Retreat at Mollymook
#1 of 2 in Mollymook

Been to Bannisters by the sea? Share your experiences!