“Simple but satisfactory”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Moruya
Canberra, Australia
“Simple but satisfactory”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed for two nights in one of the deluxe suites - room was basic but comfortable, with a large bathroom / spa bath, and opened onto the verandah overlooking the beer garden - very colourful and not as noisy as I anticipated at first. The hotel is a bit tired, but good value for money, and very laid back. I arrived early and was given a key to the room immediately - downsides for me were no information supplied re restaurant times, or anything else, and no cutlery to go with the microwave. Oh, and only soap, no shampoo/conditioner, so remember to take that alone. Otherwise was fine and the beer garden is very pretty.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms have spa bathroom - those of the verandah open onto the beer garden which was fine when...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dona S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Me and my fellow medeavial players had a lovely weekend in Moruya. The owner /operator Micelle was fantastic and did everything he could to make us feel welcome.We normally have a little trouble when we book ahead when we go away but this time we had no trouble.Most people don't really get what we are about with our dress up in ol english costumes but Micheele was more than happy for us to have our little stay over. If you are looking for a comfy bed and decor that took our breath way please try this one

Room Tip: Parking a little tight.Short stroll to restuarants and clubs. mmmm very handy
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank johngeraghty01
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I booked one of the suites at this hotel at a very reasonable rate over the long weekend in October. Being a hotel/motel my expectations were not particularly high but was pleasantly surprised by the room. It was large with a comfortable bed, good sized bathroom and even a microwave. I was concerned with being on the highway it may of been noisy but this was not the case. The staff were friendly and the addition of a free continental breakfast in great old dining room the next morning made the stay a very pleasant one.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank SasandCas
Reviewed 1 February 2013

I read the review after booking the hotel and find it a little bit unjust. It is a country pub hotel and I don't think it is for family who is looking for facilities in a hotel. Our stay was excellent. I love the mix colour of hotel. Its mix and match and a tad daggy but its just remind me of the 70's though I was not born during that era.
The pub got a good beers and pokies and the service is really friendly and its just what you expect in a country.
The room was clean and bathroom was excellent. The spa was working perfectly and we also got a bubble bath liquid provided (it was a kid one but still do the job). Some of the curtain need replacing due to wear and tear and the aircon need a tad cleaning. There were few stain mark on the bed cover but other than that our stay were fantastic! Michel was really friendly and polite. If you looking for a place that is really value for money then this is the one.
For the previous commenter I have to say that you should not expect much for the price that you are willing to pay. This is a basic hotel and it does a basic service. Anything else is an extra.
We have been to 5 star hotel or higher and paid reasonable price for those stay, the service and the quality was much better. But if I'm paying 500 a night or more for a stay, I would expect awesome experience (in which some were not), buy not when we pay 85 a night or less in some other rooms.
I really enjoy my stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone that looking for simple but nice stay so they can spend more on food, attractions and sightseeing around the area.

Room Tip: get the room on the side street. you can hear the traffic a bit but its not much at all. I sleep nic...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Lovetotravelmore89
Reviewed 23 January 2013

My mother & I were booked into the Monarch Hotel Motel in Moruya for 2 nights to visit relatives in the town. We had booked online & didn't realise it was actually a pub rather than a motel. We checked in with our pre-paid voucher & went into the room, only to find that it was in desperate need of renovations & an update to the decor. Also, there was no bathroom facilities in the room. We went in search of the bathroom, which we eventually found at the very end of the corridor. It had only one shower & 3 toilets for about 10 rooms. The room was also not air conditioned & as it was one of the hottest days of the year, we decided that we would not stay & would instead search for a proper motel.

We take full responsibility for not thoroughly checking that this property is actually an old pub & not a motel, but having said that the photo's which appeared on the website where we booked looked totally different to the one we were allocated. Also, the website constantly referred to this place as a Motel & not a Hotel Motel.

My mother was contacted by someone from the Monarch when we returned asking why we didn't stay, but when she told him that the room was nothing like the pictures that we saw online, he told her that those photo's were not of the cheap rooms which we had booked.

So, a lesson learnt. Alwys check Trip Advisor before booking anything online.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank KeenTraveller1810
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We decided to stay on our return journey to Sydney after walking past this pub on the main street in Moruya.
I read somewhere this place was renovated in 1972 - believe me, the front part of the pub hasn't been renovated since - it's a time capsule.
As far as the accommodation is concerned, it's a regular country pub. My only complaint was that the rooms were hot with no aircon or effective fan. The sound comes in off the street (we had to keep the windows open).
But if you are paying $50-$80 for a room with continental breakfast included you really can't complain.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Matt W
Reviewed 29 December 2012

A last minute decision to get away on Boxing day to go fishing with a mate down the NSW south coast ... Moruya sounds nice and the Monarch was a reasonable rate.
Once you get past the colour scheme (very bright and varied),the accomodation is what you would expect from a oldish country pub and the value was quite reasonable. The pub could do with a bit of an upgrade, but on the whole it was both clean and comfortable, rooms cleaned each morning we stayed. The room with 2 single beds, wash basin, television was simple but ample for two people. The cost also included a nice basic continental breakfast and the staff were both willing and friendly. As for Wifi, it was available but clearly not working very well.
For two single blokes like us on a fishing trip, or if you wanted a cheap overnight stay, then this is just fine. Located in the main street, with parking off street, it is only a short walk to shops and restaurants.
Yes I would be happy to go back again.

Room Tip: Choosing a room not facing the main street may limit the noise from the few revellers late on a Frid...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kenwoof77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moruya
Moruya Waterfront Hotel Motel
BIG4 Moruya Heads Easts Dolphin Beach Holiday Park
Bay Breeze Boutique Motel
Bay Breeze Boutique Motel
#1 of 18 in Batemans Bay

Been to Monarch Hotel Motel? Share your experiences!